On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2015

No news? On hiring ?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:19 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Default DPJ

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
Since the other Delta Private Jets thread is full of extremely out of date information and is stuck in the Fractional Section, I though I would start a thread in the 135 section to provide accurate information on what this place is and isn’t.

History (From what I have been told):

The company was started by Comair and called Comair Jet Express. Delta then re-branded it Delta Air Elite around 2001. In 2010, Delta acquired Segrave Aviation and merged it with Delta Air Elite and changed the name to Delta Private Jets. Much of all negative stories are from the “Segrave Days.” I wasn’t around then, but no one seemed to like the management. It seems like typical cost cutting management. They made everyone work more, for less pay, and tried to nickel and dime the operation to the point of failure.

Current Company.

DPJ is wholly owned by Delta Air Lines. The pilot group (and the day to day operations) are in no way connected to Delta Air Lines. The yearly DPJ profit is what DAL spends on fuel in a day, so they let us do our own thing as long as we keep making money. Most of the people in the offices came after the Segrave Days. The rest are former Comair and DHL employees.

While the company primarily generates revenue with its 135 charter operation, it also manages aircraft. Obviously the managed fleet operates differently than the charter (core) fleet and as a result, a DPJ pilot on a managed Legacy that flies once a month and is paid by the owner of the aircraft has a very different view than the core pilot flying CJs 18 days out of the month on a salary set by DPJ. Because of this, I will only talk about the core pilots and fleet on this thread.

Fleet

DPJ will operate any aircraft that makes money. While they have many types of aircraft, the typical 135 core pilot is going to be on a CJ, Excel, Citation X, or Hawker 800. The 604 and other large cabins are available, but because there are only a few of those aircraft, and the chances of getting those off the street are rare, I will focus on the small and mid size fleet.

DPJ does not own the aircraft, it leases them. Most of the lease contracts make a lot of money when the aircraft are flying, but lose a lot when they are not. As a result, DPJ can’t afford to have planes without pilots, so they are always making sure they are properly staffed and the aircraft are well maintained.
I worked for Delta Air Lines as an ramp agent for ten years. I recently left Delta in April, too fly for my current employer as a first officer. Will I get preferential hiring at DPJ since I was a former employee?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by captcurt View Post
I worked for Delta Air Lines as an ramp agent for ten years. I recently left Delta in April, too fly for my current employer as a first officer. Will I get preferential hiring at DPJ since I was a former employee?
No. Former experience with Delta will not matter (unless you were a pilot). They will care much more about your flight experience than you ramp experience, but work experience outside aviation can always give you something else to talk about in the interview.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Would it be recommended to wait and apply until actually having the ATP rating in hand? I am taking the written on Monday and thought about submitting my app, but also meet the mins for the rating and thought I might go ahead and get the rating done if it'd make me stand out more...
Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by badtransam97 View Post
Would it be recommended to wait and apply until actually having the ATP rating in hand? I am taking the written on Monday and thought about submitting my app, but also meet the mins for the rating and thought I might go ahead and get the rating done if it'd make me stand out more...
Applying now can't hurt.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Ok thanks! I'll send it in this week. Maybe they at still looking at guys with ATP mins.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Are most new hires still getting hired into the core aircraft (CJ2, XL, Hawker 800 and X)? How are those fleet assignments determined in class? Are pilots able to bid other fleet types down the line? Are CJ2 FOs bidding open seats on the X or 800XP?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: 75CA

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-a-private-jet

Bloomberg is reporting that Diamond level Delta Airlines frequent flyers are going to be given the opportunity to upgrade to a DPJ on a limited basis... Can't imagine the operational and regulatory hurdles they had to overcome before blending 121/135 operations.... Even on a limited basis.....
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by stevenscreek View Post
Delta Is About to Allow Some Commercial Passengers to Upgrade to a Private Jet - Bloomberg Business

Bloomberg is reporting that Diamond level Delta Airlines frequent flyers are going to be given the opportunity to upgrade to a DPJ on a limited basis... Can't imagine the operational and regulatory hurdles they had to overcome before blending 121/135 operations.... Even on a limited basis.....
There is no blending required. Delta Air Lines is separate from DPJ operationally. Delta customer service simply connects Diamond level Delta passengers with our empty legs. The Diamond passengers are then treated just like any one of our other passengers. It is no different then when we drop off a passenger at ATL and they get on a 121 flight afterwords.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
There is no blending required. Delta Air Lines is separate from DPJ operationally. Delta customer service simply connects Diamond level Delta passengers with our empty legs. The Diamond passengers are then treated just like any one of our other passengers. It is no different then when we drop off a passenger at ATL and they get on a 121 flight afterwords.
Still an idea that nobody else to my knowledge can compete with...