Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Dumont or Talon?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
You have to join the Dumont circle jerk on the various forums. This is where Dumont pilots go into numerous threads and make inside jokes. Once you start doing that, you'll get an interview.
This is good intel. No circle jerk, no job. Sorry, thems the rules. However, for the proper ah "donation" I can help you skip this step. Have a major credit card handy and PM for details.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: L188

Can I ask why they need to keep recruiting? They advertise often on clmbto350 for mostly the Falcon and Hawker. Now I would think that they, being as great as some say, would not ever need to advertise. It just seems odd to me is all. They are picky/selective but go on a large recruiting site to find their future pilots. I do apply everytime and never hear anything but I am an airline guy so two strikes already perhaps? I would understand if they were growing a lot but that does not seem to be the case or is it?

Out of interest are the Falcons analog or Glass? I assume the Hawkers and Challengers are half glass like a 757, some 737 and MD80s.

Standard uniforms or like Jet suite/golf shirts?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Braniff DC8 View Post
Can I ask why they need to keep recruiting? They advertise often on clmbto350 for mostly the Falcon and Hawker. Now I would think that they, being as great as some say, would not ever need to advertise. It just seems odd to me is all. They are picky/selective but go on a large recruiting site to find their future pilots. I do apply everytime and never hear anything but I am an airline guy so two strikes already perhaps? I would understand if they were growing a lot but that does not seem to be the case or is it?

Out of interest are the Falcons analog or Glass? I assume the Hawkers and Challengers are half glass like a 757, some 737 and MD80s.

Standard uniforms or like Jet suite/golf shirts?
Growth, movement. One captain just moved up from the Hawker to the Falcon, so that leaves a Hawker position open.

Think about it if you were a recruiter, wouldn't you want as many applicants as possible, then start filtering it down to what you want? That's why they advertise on places like climbto350. Airline guys aren't automatically thrown in the dumpster.

Falcons are steam gauges. Old airplanes, but Dumont parts out old planes when they put them out to pasture and have a multi-million dollar parts inventory.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Red face

As mojo says, AFAICT, the recruiting is for growth. They're adding airplanes like they're running out of the damned things. People do leave, but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who ragequit...they all moved on to really top notch 91 jobs (and a few got recalled to Netjets).

I'm not a cheerleader, btw. This place is not anywhere near perfect, but it's pretty good.

Also: Correct on the avionics configurations, at least on the ones I've seen. Most of the Hawkers are Honeywell, but a couple are the older Collins stuff.

Uniforms: Limo driver/bible salesman outfit. White shirt, black pants, company tie (color depends on which certificate you're on). No thingies I can't spell on your shoulders. Golf shirts on 91 legs (pretty rare).
Old 01-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Be cautious about accepting an enthusiastic interview invitation at Dumont. Do not risk another job or offer just to go to what appears to be a sure thing for pretty good $$. Newly hired DO gone suddenly. They offer to pay expenses but stiff you for the hotel.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

You should take the hotel up with the past and present DO. I'm sure he doesn't want that to be the reputation of the place.

And yeah, recent big shakeup, unclear what it all portends. I'm still happy enough but it would probably be smart to tread carefully until it's clear how it all shakes out.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: F900 Captain
Default Bump for current realities

Hello All. Anyone willing to share their real specific experiences at Dumont. Good, bad, ugly, illegal, bending or breaking regulations, safety......rest.....maintenance.
Seems to be a lot of propaganda and fluffy sugar plum fairy stories but not a lot of real world job experience.
Thanks
Old 11-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by thedud View Post
Hello All. Anyone willing to share their real specific experiences at Dumont. Good, bad, ugly, illegal, bending or breaking regulations, safety......rest.....maintenance.
Seems to be a lot of propaganda and fluffy sugar plum fairy stories but not a lot of real world job experience.
Thanks
What do you want to know?

Good:
  • You're on the road 80% of the time or more, so you rarely have to deal with management directly.
  • Hotels are Marriott or Hilton properties. There is a dollar limit, but if you are in a high demand area, you never get any flack for getting an expensive hotel if that's all there is. The worst hotel I stayed in was a Holiday Inn Express, because I was in the middle of nowhere.
  • I never got pushed into doing a trip. If an airplane breaks, that's the end of it. You never get asked to limp an illegal airplane home. With that said, you will have to MEL items and fly (legally) under the MEL.

Bad:
  • Schedule. Some guys love a 12/10. I couldn't adjust to it. Sometimes they have to rob a day from you, without your consent, for coverage. You get paid a bonus for this, but frankly, it isn't worth another day on the road, IMO.
  • No seniority or career progression. Some people upgrade fast, some never upgrade. It is kind of all over the place.
  • Pay. This was the main reason I left. When I upgraded, I was lowballed.
  • The airplanes always break. They're really old airplanes with lots of hours on them.

That's pretty much it. As far as 135 goes, it probably isn't the best, but it is far from the worst.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
What do you want to know?

Good:
  • You're on the road 80% of the time or more, so you rarely have to deal with management directly.
  • Hotels are Marriott or Hilton properties. There is a dollar limit, but if you are in a high demand area, you never get any flack for getting an expensive hotel if that's all there is. The worst hotel I stayed in was a Holiday Inn Express, because I was in the middle of nowhere.
  • I never got pushed into doing a trip. If an airplane breaks, that's the end of it. You never get asked to limp an illegal airplane home. With that said, you will have to MEL items and fly (legally) under the MEL.

Bad:
  • Schedule. Some guys love a 12/10. I couldn't adjust to it. Sometimes they have to rob a day from you, without your consent, for coverage. You get paid a bonus for this, but frankly, it isn't worth another day on the road, IMO.
  • No seniority or career progression. Some people upgrade fast, some never upgrade. It is kind of all over the place.
  • Pay. This was the main reason I left. When I upgraded, I was lowballed.
  • The airplanes always break. They're really old airplanes with lots of hours on them.

That's pretty much it. As far as 135 goes, it probably isn't the best, but it is far from the worst.
This has been echoed by others that I know that have worked there. Pretty spot on, and is still light years better than Talon. 12/10 is absurd though, who likes a 12/10?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: CA

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
This has been echoed by others that I know that have worked there. Pretty spot on, and is still light years better than Talon. 12/10 is absurd though, who likes a 12/10?
What's the word on Talon these days?