New Gama/WHEELS UP King Air Bases >

New Gama/WHEELS UP King Air Bases

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

New Gama/WHEELS UP King Air Bases

Old 10-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2017

So the latest job listing I saw for FO's doesn't have any times listed. Anyone have a guess as to what are good total and multi times to apply for the job?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
It's a job, not a career.

Pros.

Excellent health insurance 100% paid for by the company.
Good hotels for the most part. Usually hiltons and you get to keep the points.
New equipment with all the bells and whistles.

Cons.

You will work hard. Some days very hard.
The king air has no air conditioning on the ground which makes for a miserable experience in hot / humid weather.
No seniority list.
No progressive pay scale.
8 days of vacation whether you've been here for 1 year or 10 years.
Unlikely you will ever see the jet, but if you do you will go back to the right seat and lose all your pay increases.
Travel home on day 8 can be a frustrating experience and is not included in your 14 hour duty period.

It's not a bad place to hang out while you're waiting for a career destination to call, but most people who are too young to qualify for Medicare are looking to move on.
I presume the addition of 8-10 Citation Xs will generate some movement on the list...

Do the XL crews work as hard as the KA crews?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
I presume the addition of 8-10 Citation Xs will generate some movement on the list...

Do the XL crews work as hard as the KA crews?
That's the problem, there is no list.
The King Air guys will tell you that they work harder than the XL guys, but truth be told they work hard in both fleets. However, the XL has an APU, an external servicing lavatory and easier on the back when it comes to loading and unloading bags.

The X is nothing more than an idea / rumor right now and I would be very surprised if they pluck non X type rated King Air drivers to staff it.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
That's the problem, there is no list.
The King Air guys will tell you that they work harder than the XL guys, but truth be told they work hard in both fleets. However, the XL has an APU, an external servicing lavatory and easier on the back when it comes to loading and unloading bags.

The X is nothing more than an idea / rumor right now and I would be very surprised if they pluck non X type rated King Air drivers to staff it.
Given the numerous issues discussed and the projected growth rates, how does WU/Gama expect to have enough pilots with the better deals offered at the regionals/majors? Why stick around? Is it the schedule? Is it the variety of flying? No doubt flying the KA up and down the East/West coast would be a great experience builder for a newbie, but at some point the airlines beckon with far better deals...
Old 10-15-2017, 11:39 AM
I Pass the Butter

Joined APC: May 2017

Given the numerous issues discussed and the projected growth rates, how does WU/Gama expect to have enough pilots with the better deals offered at the regionals/majors? Why stick around? Is it the schedule? Is it the variety of flying? No doubt flying the KA up and down the East/West coast would be a great experience builder for a newbie, but at some point the airlines beckon with far better deals...
This has been my question for them and many other 135 operators. I see jobs with minimums all over the place. One outfit wants a Lear SIC to have 3000TT and a LRJT type. Others say something along the lines of "2500 preferred but no less than 2000 and only for the right person." Often these are light jet and turboprop flight departments, and not a big name like EJM or whoever. The other one I can't get my head around are all the jobs that say the minimums are [arbitrary number, let's say 1000 or 1500] and at a minimum require an ATP written. The days of guys clinging to their writtens under the old rules are long gone, and I do not know a single individual who is going to go pay for their own ATP CTP course, certainly not with all the regionals paying for it and a type. I count at least a dozen ads a day on the orange site for entry-level that expect at least the written and usually more multi time than any MEIs that I knew when I was in training. Something's gotta give. I know a guy in my neighborhood that flies the KA and he seems to enjoy his job more of less at Gama, but he says if he had started out now instead of 8-10 years ago, he would absolutely go through a regional after instructing. He stays because he's worked up to a decent enough schedule and doesn't want to start all over somewhere else.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Great question. For me its being flown to and from the city I live in, AKA no commuting (which I forgot to add to the list of pros) and the health insurance is very good. I still have my irons in the fire though. Some guys have left for Spirit / Frontier etc. but it I'm content to hold out for something a little more attractive for now.

Gama is a great job, but there is zero career progression. Considering the time and money we invest to get where we are, its normal to look for the best bang for your buck. Short term it could be here, long term its elsewhere.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:13 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Wing Locker

Originally Posted by Frozen Ronin View Post
It's been a little while since the base list was put on the board. Any updates worth noting? Can someone put a fresh list on the thread? Thanks!
Per an email from the mother ship a few months back any city with reasonable and reliable airline service can be added. Apply and request the city you desire. Everything is negotiable.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Default Gama questions

How long does it take generally to upgrade in the king air for someone coming in as a FO?

When you travel home on your eighth day, this is done after your 12-14 hr duty day? Do you every have to travel on your day off?

Per diem rate? Typically 16 days per diem per month?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Upgrade is effected by a bunch of variables and there isn't a set formula.

We don't typically start travel after a 12-14 hr duty day, but you may finish late depending how long your travel takes. Never forced to travel on a day off and if you land in base after midnight it's an extra $500.

$59 per day domestic 65 per day international. Not pro rated for partial day 1 and 8.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
Upgrade is effected by a bunch of variables and there isn't a set formula.

We don't typically start travel after a 12-14 hr duty day, but you may finish late depending how long your travel takes. Never forced to travel on a day off and if you land in base after midnight it's an extra $500.

$59 per day domestic 65 per day international. Not pro rated for partial day 1 and 8.
Thanks you!