Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

No pay during training

Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: CRJ Left
Default No pay during training

Is it legal for an operator to not pay pilots for a 3 week training program? I just don't see how that is possible.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Training a new employee costs money. Its legal but sure isn't a company I want to work for.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2014

I actually think it's a good thing. If you are an employee, then don't make it through training, then that's a pretty clear PRIA report if you go on somewhere else.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 AM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Actually, this is a loophole that low quality airlines sometimes use to get fresh faces to give their awful training departments a try. A training department is incompetent with washout rates exceeding 50% in many cases, and people are expected to fail in high numbers from every training group as a rule. These people go home jobless, minus a couple months wages from their training time and grateful there is no PRIA trail following them along. But there actually should be a PRIA trail for all the failed training attempts at these companies, and the company should be held accountable for low pass rates and be required to correct them.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:59 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by dupe View Post
I actually think it's a good thing. If you are an employee, then don't make it through training, then that's a pretty clear PRIA report if you go on somewhere else.
You have got to be kidding me....

No self respecting company decides not to pay new hires. Even if it is minimum wage, pay them something, and put them in their own hotel. We are adults here.... If they can't afford to pay you during training, they shouldn't be in business.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Well it's actually illegal. Just ask Ameriflight and its lawyers whom are currently in trouble...
Old 03-19-2015, 05:09 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Originally Posted by Lasko View Post
Well it's actually illegal. Just ask Ameriflight and its lawyers whom are currently in trouble...
Ameriflight is now paying an hourly rate from day one of training. $9.00 an hour until Part 135 checkride, then $2800/month as PA31 Captain which is typically 4-6 weeks after day one and a $1000 bonus after 6 months on the job. Nice hotel at DFW with free breakfast and good training. The company has a new CEO, is growing, acquiring other companies and looking at bigger equipment like CRJ200s the regionals have parked. Ameriflight Headquarters is out of California now and centrally located in Texas for planned growth. The old Ameriflight was last year. Ameriflight currently handles 60% of UPS plus FEDEX shipments.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:41 AM
On Reserve

You must be new... �� The RJ's have been promised for the past 4 years. I'm sure Jetlife could give some insight to the broken promises made by management.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:11 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Gunbunny View Post
Ameriflight is now paying an hourly rate from day one of training. $9.00 an hour until Part 135 checkride, then $2800/month as PA31 Captain which is typically 4-6 weeks after day one and a $1000 bonus after 6 months on the job. Nice hotel at DFW with free breakfast and good training. The company has a new CEO, is growing, acquiring other companies and looking at bigger equipment like CRJ200s the regionals have parked. Ameriflight Headquarters is out of California now and centrally located in Texas for planned growth. The old Ameriflight was last year. Ameriflight currently handles 60% of UPS plus FEDEX shipments.
AMF pilots are exempt employees which means AMF has to comply with except employee laws. The laughable wage of 9/hr is still 7/hr short of legal. Wonder why nobody showed up at the DFW recruitment events last two times.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Lasko View Post
AMF pilots are exempt employees which means AMF has to comply with except employee laws. The laughable wage of 9/hr is still 7/hr short of legal. Wonder why nobody showed up at the DFW recruitment events last two times.
Actually, I don't believe that is correct for pilots who are in training.

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource

The paragraph on "Salary Basis Test" that I found here would indicate that trainees (who are not guaranteed a minimum pay) would not be exempt employees. Trainees are paid the actual hours they work. This isn't to say from the time they show up at a base until they leave, but the actual hours they work. A non-exempt employee (such as a mechanic) goes off the clock for lunch and other breaks. So after a trainee does a run in the morning, if there is a layover, they are off the clock until they show up again for the return leg in the evening.

Since they ARE hourly employees, the only "legal" wage requirement would be the state or federal minimum wage. So your comment on $9 per hour being legally too low is incorrect.