Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

What about the other bases. Any large classes planned soon?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:17 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2017

Is anyone in here currently employed by boutique as an SIC? I'm scheduled for 75hrs next month which is less than I've been flying the 7 months I've been here. And im a commuter so I'll jumpseat to cover your trip. Thanks in advance....lol....oh wait sorry wrong group. Pm me though.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: CFI, CFII, MEI

Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
Good questions.

The EAS article on Wikipedia shows when contracts with towns begin and end. One or two in northern NY are coming up soon. Boutique isn't saying much about new towns, but a guess might be that they've put in a bid.

King Airs aren't likely coming to BWI. The PC-12 covers the needs there.

As for staffing, there is good reason to believe that Boutique may be soon looking to fill both PIC and SIC positions at BWI.
If only I could get a response back from them! I want to be BWI based! haha
Old 01-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Default Forever came early!

Resume submitted the first week of January. HR interview the next week. Technical interview and CA job offer accepted this week. This was my preference over a 121 gig. My times are over 121 minimums. Perserve and you guys will make it, too!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:50 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Anybody in the Feb 12th FO class? If so, pm me!
Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Flaps8posrate View Post
Resume submitted the first week of January. HR interview the next week. Technical interview and CA job offer accepted this week. This was my preference over a 121 gig. My times are over 121 minimums. Perserve and you guys will make it, too!
Yeah, you picked a great time to apply and get hired at Boutique, but not sure it's the best time to work there. Apparently the DEC and JAN new hire classes were very large, maybe the largest ever. They are on a hiring binge, not due to any expansion, but to record turnover.

Now that you are hired, ask scheduling for the last three month schedules for Denver and DFW. Curious to know just how many have departed. Lots of pilots were breaking contracts.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by ForthFlyer View Post
Yeah, you picked a great time to apply and get hired at Boutique, but not sure it's the best time to work there. Apparently the DEC and JAN new hire classes were very large, maybe the largest ever. They are on a hiring binge, not due to any expansion, but to record turnover. Now that you are hired, ask scheduling for the last three month schedules for Denver and DFW. Curious to know just how many have departed. Lots of pilots were breaking contracts.
Hey FF,
Who knows... plenty of drama, no matter if you look - UAL XJet YV or G7.

Yes, sounds like BTQ has turnover. One man’s trash, is another man’s gold. With people leaving, the churn creates opportunities, whether it is to move up in seniority or move into other positions.
At G7, the math says that if you are hired Jan 1, you will be more than halfway up the seniority list by Jan 1 of the following year. Go to DTW or ORD and fly you ba*ls off, but if you go to DEN, you will fly 20-30 hrs per month and maybe need to be sent elsewhere to get enough hours to consolidate. If you go to Envoy and get DFW you’ll sit reserve and fly about the same amount. Whadda you want? Fly? Sit?

Every one of these outfits have contracts. Envoy’s is work two years or pay back the 22,500 they paid you the first day of indoc. Mesa is one year and they pay the second half at the end of the year. G7 is 1 year, unless they change it again.
If somebody spends it, they’re stuck until they pay it off or borrow the money.
A contract is a contract.

At BTQ CA pay is over $60 per hour! $60+ per hour! Da*m sight better than first year FO pay (or second or third year) at a regional.

Back to your point-
Who cares why people leave?
Who cares why they ***** and whine. Or, is it that they wine first and then *****??

I’m like Alfred E. Neuman, who said “What, me worry?” As, it’s all good, regardless...

Someone is either part of the problem or part of the solution.
If they don’t like where they work, then shut the **** up and leave. If they like it, stay and make it a better place.

Pretty simple to me.
Same thing goes for me, too, as if I’m not happy somewhere, I’ll leave, you bet. But, I would pay whatever I owed, because a contract is a contract.

I like being happy. Hope you do, too!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Honestly, what EAS driven 135 doesn't have high turnover? I know SS has made it a goal to make it a place that people stay, and MAKING it a place to stay is only half the battle. Staying has to be in the career path that each individual has for themselves.

I left before the end of my contract, and I made sure that my contract was paid off in full (Use your PTO to pay it off, the way the system is set up, in very few situations do you need to use PTO at this company. Just tell them to take the payoff out of your PTO). I still have a hard time understanding those who put so much effort in to the discussion of whether they will "come after me for payment" or not. If you can't afford to pay it off, then be the adult that you said you'd be when you signed it, and stay until you can.

Some of the better advice I've received in this career (For those planning on a seniority based job down the road). Every day that you aren't at the job that you planning on spending your life at is thousands of dollars out of your retirement, and a loss of seniority and lifestyle. Get what you need out of BTQ and carry on. Just do it in a manner that reflects the kind of person you are.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by trc8301 View Post
Honestly, what EAS driven 135 doesn't have high turnover? I know SS has made it a goal to make it a place that people stay, and MAKING it a place to stay is only half the battle. Staying has to be in the career path that each individual has for themselves.

I left before the end of my contract, and I made sure that my contract was paid off in full (Use your PTO to pay it off, the way the system is set up, in very few situations do you need to use PTO at this company. Just tell them to take the payoff out of your PTO). I still have a hard time understanding those who put so much effort in to the discussion of whether they will "come after me for payment" or not. If you can't afford to pay it off, then be the adult that you said you'd be when you signed it, and stay until you can.

Some of the better advice I've received in this career (For those planning on a seniority based job down the road). Every day that you aren't at the job that you planning on spending your life at is thousands of dollars out of your retirement, and a loss of seniority and lifestyle. Get what you need out of BTQ and carry on. Just do it in a manner that reflects the kind of person you are.
Well said. The only time I actually used PTO was when I cashed it out.

I think a lot of the talk about breaking contracts and being concerned about having to pay back the contract came around right after benefits were cut. A lot of people were upset about it, and I can't really blame them.

Sure, the insurance is still fine, but it was a pretty big hit for people with families when they specifically chose btq for the benefits package. What frustrated me about that whole thing was that while benefits were cut to save money, there was no effort made to generate any revenue by charging for unaccompanied minors, overweight bags, etc. Fees for those types of things are industry standard at this point and in my experience, passengers were surprised when they WEREN'T charged for them. Sure, it's great for the customers... But from what I saw, it crushed the morale of many full time employees.

So like you said, get what you need from Boutique and carry on. It is absolutely excellent experience for low time pilots, especially those looking to go 121 once minimums are met.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:37 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Well said. The only time I actually used PTO was when I cashed it out.

I think a lot of the talk about breaking contracts and being concerned about having to pay back the contract came around right after benefits were cut. A lot of people were upset about it, and I can't really blame them.

Sure, the insurance is still fine, but it was a pretty big hit for people with families when they specifically chose btq for the benefits package. What frustrated me about that whole thing was that while benefits were cut to save money, there was no effort made to generate any revenue by charging for unaccompanied minors, overweight bags, etc. Fees for those types of things are industry standard at this point and in my experience, passengers were surprised when they WEREN'T charged for them. Sure, it's great for the customers... But from what I saw, it crushed the morale of many full time employees.

So like you said, get what you need from Boutique and carry on. It is absolutely excellent experience for low time pilots, especially those looking to go 121 once minimums are met.
There are posts going back two years about a Boutique "flow" to United in the works. Anyone know how that rumor got started? I'm guessing that fantasy is long dead.