Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by Jetmech2380 View Post
Maybe I should apply for the A&P mechanic position to get my foot in the door. Is there a probation period as a new hire before a person can switch jobs internally within the company?
I don't know about a probation period, but I expect that if hired as a mechanic, you'd be spinning wrenches for a while before flying.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

"PS - some of you laughed at iwasboutiqued's long post and brushed it off. He literally nailed it. Everything typed out was 100% accurate and I couldn't agree more. MX became nonexistent. It went from fixing things to simply signing "ops check good" on everything to make crap legal. You WILL be pressured into flying into unsafe conditions. I had the chief on my ass pressuring us into taking off into several tornado warnings while the airport was on a ground stop. Get out of this place while you still have your certificate and before they try and throw garbage warning letters and check ride failures on your record."

I second that, he nailed it.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Um, no. Your OM does not apply to flights that are dispatched as 91 legs. You need to remember that GOM, OpSpecs etc are only valid when the flight is flown under 135. If it's been dispatched as 91, none of that is relevant.
There are no "single pilot types" for PC12, it is a single pilot plane. All the single pilot training is 135 stuff.
This is bordering on reckless.

Every single flight of an air carrier certificate, be it for maintenance, training or revenue (or NOT)is absolutely controlled by the accepted and/or approved manuals, which are specifically required by sub chapter G of the FAR. The case law and chief counsel opinions in regard to this are so numerous that I'm seriously concerned for the misinformation you're distributing. If you're actually a 135 pilot, please ask your POI about this before you end up (like BTQ) on the radar.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Safety View Post
This is bordering on reckless.

Every single flight of an air carrier certificate, be it for maintenance, training or revenue (or NOT)is absolutely controlled by the accepted and/or approved manuals, which are specifically required by sub chapter G of the FAR. The case law and chief counsel opinions in regard to this are so numerous that I'm seriously concerned for the misinformation you're distributing. If you're actually a 135 pilot, please ask your POI about this before you end up (like BTQ) on the radar.
Umm. No.
91 is 91.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Default Agreement

Dera, I partially agree with you on 91 vs 135. BTQ is approved for 135 Ops single pilot with a working autopilot, but it is generally a two pilot operation. Other poster talking smack about BTQ you are not currently informed. The Boutique’d dude is full of bs. That is not the real story. If he didn’t like toilets with skid marks, then he should’ve cleaned them. Be the solution not the issue. That works a lot better than being a bad attitude whiney little b**ch.
Umm. No.
91 is 91.

Last edited by Flaps8posrate; 09-20-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:39 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Flaps8posrate View Post
Dera, I partially agree with you on 91 vs 135. BTQ is approved for 135 Ops single pilot with a working autopilot, but it is generally a two pilot operation. Other poster talking smack about BTQ you are not currently informed. The Boutique’d dude is full of bs. That is not the real story. If he didn’t like toilets with skid marks, then he should’ve cleaned them. Be the solution not the issue. That works a lot better than being a bad attitude whiney little b**ch.
I know who the "boutique'd" dude is. He also got fired from his next job.

btw, for 135 single pilot IFR, you also need a 135.297(g) so just the opspec/autopilot isn't enough.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

btw, for 135 single pilot IFR, you also need a 135.297(g) so just the opspec/autopilot isn't enough.
You’re on top of it. Hope the flying is good for you! 👍
Old 09-22-2018, 07:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

I have personally not had a bad experience at Boutique, it has its share of complainers, and its share of BS like any airline.

I have not once been pressured to fly in conditions i thought were unsafe. One call to dispatch, "im taking a delay for weather at the destination, probably not longer than an hour" and the response is "ok we will post an update, just keep us in the loop" is pretty much universally the answer.

I have never once been questioned or gotten a call from an ACP on a mechanical discrepancy, or been told "just do it under 91" whatever... not one time have i had that happen.

Where boutique struggles in my opinion:

1. Boutique needs to get out of bidding days off and hand building the schedule every month and switch to bidding lines of flying. its faster, its easier, and seniority based

2. Boutique needs to build infrastructure and then grow, not grow and THEN build infrastructure... that's how companies fail

3. everyone needs to realize what kind of company this is, its a small, part 135 EAS company using single engine planes where the average employee age is a ballpark of 24 years old. This isnt American Airlines. So you have guys who call in sick 16 times in a 6 month period (no really). If i ran a shop and you called in sick 3 times a month you would surely get a warning letter. lets get real.

4. finally, the training contract. 2 years 14K? give me a break. What PIC qualified guy is going to want to come to boutique air, and sign a contract for two years and owe the company a large sum of money when he can just instruct, tow banners, beg steal or borrow flight time for another few months and go get the big $20K bonus at Mesa or Envoy etc?? what PIC in their right mind is going to sign the dotted line with boutique in this climate? And upgrades from within... doesnt seem to be happening at all for some reason, other than the fact that your FOs dont want to upgrade and enter into yet another contract when they can just right seat for a couple of months and bounce to Mesa or Envoy and collect the bonus. Boutique is approaching its staffing issues the wrong way.

EDIT:

kill two birds with one stone, you got tons of 18, 19, 20 year olds out there who want to be pilots, but cant afford the time or the education.

Hire those aspiring pilots as CSAs and have them sign a 4 year contract, 2 years of which is agreement to work as a CSA, while boutique covers all or some of the cost of their Private, Commercial Single and Instrument rating. Any license or rating you want beyond that is on the CSAs dime. Once your two year is up as a CSA, you owe boutique air the remaining 2 years as a pilot with an appropriate pay penalty if you quit early.

boom, you have CSAs flowing in (which face it, we need to grow that infrastructure as long as SS is swallowing up EAS routes left and right) and you have a stream of inbound pilots on the hook for two years
Old 09-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

you'd be surprise where he is now and how he got his "hours"
Old 09-22-2018, 07:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by mike sierra View Post
how he got his "hours"
Was it a Bic? 😁