Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Sim eval at Wheels Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:37 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2014
Default Sim eval at Wheels Up

Invited to sim eval last week after a short phone interview. Sim was a 1980's Level C KA 200. Showed at 0900,paperwork check and into the box at 1000. 600RVR TKO at KLGA. I was in right seat for departure.Normal climb on the SID to 5k. Engine fire,SE ILS into KTEB,landed and switched seats. Same scenario out of KTEB back to KLGA for my left seat leg,except after flying to DH with no contact MA was called. Upon my executing the go-around the sim operator cleared the wx and we came around for a SE visual approach and landing at KLGA. From start to stop it's all hand flown.

Overall, I was pleased with my performance. I don't have any KA time, but carry 4500TT, 4 types, and have flown pt 135 for years. The KA was unfamiliar to me, but the SOPs, callouts, and profiles are always pretty much the same, so no trouble with anything really.

Today I got the TBNT letter. I'm scratching my head on this one. As far as I knew, nothing went wrong on the ride. So...My point in posting this is, anyone looking to get on with WU, be extra,extra sharp in the sim because they do that before you get the interview. Anyway,it looks like a good outfit and good luck to you hopefuls.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Retired for now

With the attrition they are having I suspect they figured would not be there long with your experience.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Why would you go there from your current employer?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Invited to sim eval last week after a short phone interview. Sim was a 1980's Level C KA 200. Showed at 0900,paperwork check and into the box at 1000. 600RVR TKO at KLGA. I was in right seat for departure.Normal climb on the SID to 5k. Engine fire,SE ILS into KTEB,landed and switched seats. Same scenario out of KTEB back to KLGA for my left seat leg,except after flying to DH with no contact MA was called. Upon my executing the go-around the sim operator cleared the wx and we came around for a SE visual approach and landing at KLGA. From start to stop it's all hand flown.

Overall, I was pleased with my performance. I don't have any KA time, but carry 4500TT, 4 types, and have flown pt 135 for years. The KA was unfamiliar to me, but the SOPs, callouts, and profiles are always pretty much the same, so no trouble with anything really.

Today I got the TBNT letter. I'm scratching my head on this one. As far as I knew, nothing went wrong on the ride. So...My point in posting this is, anyone looking to get on with WU, be extra,extra sharp in the sim because they do that before you get the interview. Anyway,it looks like a good outfit and good luck to you hopefuls.
Sorry to hear you got the TBNT letter..you sound like you've got a lot of experience and we need people bad.

I can say to all those who are interested that a couple of things may have gone wrong for you here. Overall they are VERY selective and internal recs weigh heavily. I think that will be changing as we have bad attrition rates and really need to hire a lot more than we currently are.

First, you didn't interview with Wheels Up, you interviewed with Gama Aviation. I can't speak for your interview experience but they usually ask what do you know about "Wheels Up". I've been told this is possibly a trick question. They want to hear you say "They own the aircraft and member contracts but Gama operates and manages the fleet." or something of the like. I think they feel that if you came into the interview not understanding that (not saying you didn't Seagull) you won't be a good fit...That is strictly my own opinion of a possibility, nothing more apart from the "trick question" rumor.

The others things are this:

The sim eval is far less about how well you fly and more about your CRM and interpersonal communication skills. A lot of guys with a lot of single pilot experience seem to get the no thank you over the folks coming from crew cockpits.

And because of the member service standards that Wheel's Up expects from Gama pilots they are looking for a very strong desire to focus your job towards member service vs. your flying (not in the sense of sacrificing safety but more towards understanding that the flying is 20% of the job here and member service is 80%). Essentially that means if they hire you they know you can fly an airplane and be safe and professional. But life at Gama is all about the passengers. Safety here absolutely comes first, but they take a "as a pilot you should know your stuff so we trust you are flying to standard" approach, but what we want to see is your customer service skills. They try not to micromanage how crews operate because they feel they only hire highly qualified pilots. I feel that is correct. Haven't flown with anyone here that wasn't a good stick. And everyone really goes out of their way to take care of the folks in back. If they even get a small sniff of a candidate not being able to excel in that area they won't hire you.

And it very well could be that you are over qualified. They seem to have stopped hiring street captains and are focusing on SIC hiring. They definitely want people who fit a certain profile and will stick around for a long time. I think the recent attrition has got them a little freaked out. A lot of the new guys coming in have zero King Air experience. In fact I think the last two classes had none at all with King Air time.

Overall if you want to get on here I recommend you network network network. They are about to change the 6/3 schedules and may go with 9/6 (not much better) but with a $5K pay raise across the board. It really is a great company. They treat us very well and the pay is top dollar for King Airs.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Left Seat

For people who are leaving WU, where are they going? Any trends? Which operators are picking them up?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Fetzervalve View Post
For people who are leaving WU, where are they going? Any trends? Which operators are picking them up?
A little of everywhere. Legacies, Netjets, part 91 outfits...
Old 04-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Unusual,

Check your PMs.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: ????

Unusual-

Since you have never worked for Gama, I and everyone else who has left would like to thank you for assuming where we have gone. Much appreciated

Ps. Where did I go?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Ppants1212 View Post
Unusual-

Since you have never worked for Gama, I and everyone else who has left would like to thank you for assuming where we have gone. Much appreciated

Ps. Where did I go?
I dunno, on a long walk on a short pier maybe? Perhaps along with the rest of the jackasses that seem to flounder and fester on APC?

I've lurked here without making a single post for a long long time..thank you for reminding me why this place is full of fools and tools like you.

That's got to be an APC record...A completely benign, non hostile and even helpful first couple of posts and I've already been attacked and called a liar.

So how is it that I just finished 6 days working the Master's flying KA's that have UP painted on the tail? Who do I work for then? Hmmm....

Jeez, some of you people on this forum are just flat out insane...I can't fathom why anything I posted would upset you so much you want to accuse me of not working where I very much do work...to say that's bizarre is an understatement.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by Seagull View Post

Just curious, did they fly you to the sim or are you responsible to get there yourself & where is it?

Sorry you didn't get the offer by the way.