Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

ATP Check Ride with an Expired ATP Written

Old 02-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by MtnGrl View Post
I am jumping in with a related question. My ATP written expires next month. Do I need to take an MEL ATP check ride or is a SE ride sufficient - even if I plan to fly twin engines? I know someone who is flying for SkyWest who took their ATP check ride in a Cessna 310. ATP is a license not a rating right?
If you plan to get a ATP MEL and your written results expire, you will need to complete the ATP CTP training program. You can not get around this by getting a SE ATP while the results are valid. The FAA split the MEL and SE apart for this reason and specifically wrote these requirements into the MEL requirement.

Do whatever you have to so you can get your ATP MEL before those results expire, THEN you can "add on" the SE, but it doesn't work in reverse.
(f) Adding a multiengine class rating or airplane type rating to an airline transport pilot certificate with a single engine class rating. A person applying to add a multiengine class rating or airplane type rating to an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category single engine class rating must—

(1) Meet the eligibility requirements of §61.153;

(2) After July 31, 2014, pass a required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of §61.155(c), as applicable to multiengine airplanes; unless a pilot can present valid airline transport pilot knowledge test results from a test taken prior to August 1, 2014.

(3) Comply with the requirements in §61.157(b), if applicable;

(4) Meet the applicable aeronautical experience requirements of §61.159; and

(5) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation of §61.157(e)(2).

Edit:had the wrong section pasted initially

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 02-25-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 AM
Captain who?

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: Backseat

I am in the same boat as the other guy. ATP Written taken July 2014 and expires July 2016. Currently at 1300 hrs with pt 135 right seat position in a Hawker and just purchased a Cherokee 140 to do pt 61/91 instruction in as a hour booster. Sprinting to the 1500 hr finish line as fast as I can to save myself from taking the $5000+ CTP course if I miss the ATP Written expiration mark.
Anything is possible with a little determination and flying your a$$ off.
& Good luck to all those in the same situation.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Cessna 172 CFI

Originally Posted by Fookz92 View Post
I am in the same boat as the other guy. ATP Written taken July 2014 and expires July 2016. Currently at 1300 hrs with pt 135 right seat position in a Hawker and just purchased a Cherokee 140 to do pt 61/91 instruction in as a hour booster. Sprinting to the 1500 hr finish line as fast as I can to save myself from taking the $5000+ CTP course if I miss the ATP Written expiration mark.
Anything is possible with a little determination and flying your a$$ off.
& Good luck to all those in the same situation.
Many of the airlines i.e. Skywest will train you so you will not need the 5000 course. I am fewer hours at 820. I asked my friend who works for Skywest about taking the ATP course and she said that is a not necessary. Unless you just want to get the ranting. But from what I have seen is ATP hours eligible not necessary to have the ATP to get hired
Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Captain who?

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: Backseat

Originally Posted by Flyinlynn View Post
Many of the airlines i.e. Skywest will train you so you will not need the 5000 course. I am fewer hours at 820. I asked my friend who works for Skywest about taking the ATP course and she said that is a not necessary. Unless you just want to get the ranting. But from what I have seen is ATP hours eligible not necessary to have the ATP to get hired
I WILL NOT work for any 121 ops. It's just not my taste for flying. Part 135 that is almost bad enough now.
I won't need anything from anyone but a simple ATP check ride since I have everything done up to this point. I was trying to boost the other gentleman's morale by posting.
I WILL have my ATP by July.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by Fookz92 View Post
I WILL NOT work for any 121 ops. It's just not my taste for flying. Part 135 that is almost bad enough now.
I won't need anything from anyone but a simple ATP check ride since I have everything done up to this point. I was trying to boost the other gentleman's morale by posting.
I WILL have my ATP by July.
So this begs the question: do any 135 operators sponsor candidates for a CTP course or does one become forced to either go the regional route or cough up 6 grand?

This CTP garbage was all done with ulterior motives in mind.