Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
Recurrent training contract- Need advice!! >

Recurrent training contract- Need advice!!

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Recurrent training contract- Need advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Default Recurrent training contract- Need advice!!

I've been with my current employer for one year. I completed my initial May 2014. I'm in my grace month and my employer has waited until the very last minute to send me to recurrent. When I was hired I did not sign any kind of training contract. I know this is fairly standard in the industry so I would have had no issue doing it.

I just got a phone call from my chief and he said that they are starting to enforce training contracts. He said I'll need to sign one before I leave for training. Mind you I have a plane ticket leaving in less than 36hrs for FSI and this is the first time time I've heard about this and haven't even had a chance to review the contract.

Two months after I got hired my chief told me not to move (was planning on moving closer to my base airport) because the plane is up for sale. It was almost sold but the owner hasn't accepted any offers yet. I think he is really pushing to sell now. I'm surprised I still have a job. I haven't interviewed anywhere else and even though I never signed a contract I planned on staying a year as a gentleman's agreement.

I fear every month I'm going to lose my job and now at the last second they spring this training contract on me. I called friends at 4 different operators and none of them were asked to sign a contract for recurrent. I'm not planning on leaving tomorrow but would like to keep my options open. I don't want to wait until my plane disappears and I'm on the street with no opportunities.

What do I do at this point? Need answers quick!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I cannot tell you what to do. However I wouldn't touch that BS with a 10 foot pole. The economy is way too good to be signing contracts period, but making you sign a recurrent contract is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You stayed for the length of your training which is what a contract is for. Recurrent is the cost of doing business, and they have no right to spring a contract on you for recurrent training, that is indentured servitude and is probably illegal. Based on this shenanigans alone, I would venture a guess that this is a bottom feeder company. I would look for other work. Also, I would be very honest and up front with with them. Tell them that you already gave them a year of employment, and that you think it is unfair that they are asking for a contract for recurrent training. Be prepared for them to not send you though. This is why I can't really tell you what to do, only what I would do. I would NEVER sign a recurrent contract. An initial type rating is a different story, but recurrent is the cost of doing business for a company.

You could also sign it, then GTFO and tell them to shove that contract up their ass when you leave. Either way, I would be looking for another job, one that actually values you as an employee.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I completely agree with everything you said. I feel now that I should just quit either way if this is how I'm going to be treated. I feel if I stay and bail two months later it would look worse to my next employer that I left soon after completing recurrent with or without a contract. I also feel I'm locking myself into a job that is ultimately going away with no other place for me at the company. I haven't devoted much time to actually looking for other opportunities because I can't even get a hard day off!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Never take a job that you're not willing to walk away from on principle.

You don't need to quit, but You do need to refuse to sign that contract. You've already given a year of service. If they didn't have you sign initially, then signing for a recurrent (of all things) as asinine. Don't do it.

Think about it this way: would the company sign an agreement to keep you employed for six months or a year, and guarantee it with a penalty for early termination?

The standard agreement is a year of service if they type you initially, but six months for a recurrent. That said, the situation that you're describing is underhanded and dishonest. I worked for a fractional that tried the same thing; waited until we were just finishing initial then sprung a training bond on us. Dirt bag operators.

Given that they're looking at selling your aircraft, the notion of tying you into a training bond is particularly suspect. I'd give it a pass. They've already got time and money invested in you and you have a track history. It costs a lot of money to hire a new employee vs. retaining an existing one. If the company has to get someone to replace you, they'll pay through the nose to do it. They won't necessarily be able to replace you quickly, and if they're running you 24/7 then they apparently can't afford to close shop or take a break in service that your quitting might cause. You may have some leverage there, but if you don't, you can do far better elsewhere.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post

Think about it this way: would the company sign an agreement to keep you employed for six months or a year, and guarantee it with a penalty for early termination?

The standard agreement is a year of service if they type you initially, but six months for a recurrent. That said, the situation that you're describing is underhanded and dishonest. I worked for a fractional that tried the same thing; waited until we were just finishing initial then sprung a training bond on us. Dirt bag operators.
I was told it would be a one year contract. I really don't want to stay there for another year (doubt the plane will be around anyway) and just think I should take the high road. This job has physically kept me from pursuing opportunities due to never having time off to schedule an interview or seriously follow up on leads. I hope maybe leaving would score some points in the eyes of my future employer who actually respects their employees. I think it would be a completely understandable response to "why did you leave your last employer". I just wish they could have had the decency to inform me a month ago so I could have seriously explored other opportunities. Now it feels like I'm being railroaded.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:41 AM
Pilot

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: Large cabin Bizjet

I'd tell them to go screw. Chances are they won't fire you, cause it wouldn't make sense to hire someone for an airplane they might sell. If they do fire you, chances are you'd get a job pretty quickly in this market.

What type of airplane?
Old 06-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle

"I'd like to continue working here, but I won't sign a training contract with anyone -- out of principle. Let me know if you want me to go to recurrent."

The ball's now in there court. In the meantime, find another job.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by HwkrPlt View Post
I'd tell them to go screw. Chances are they won't fire you, cause it wouldn't make sense to hire someone for an airplane they might sell. If they do fire you, chances are you'd get a job pretty quickly in this market.

What type of airplane?
Hawker!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

I wouldn't sign it. Just tell them that it's not standard to sign one for recurrent and you would like to continue to work there.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

You already gave a year, contract or no contract you gave a year. Your side of the coin is complete. They would have to spend money to hire somebody new, train them, and get them online, all the while the plane would be unable to fly. All the balls are in your court right now. Absolutely do not sign a contract for recurrent. That is some slimy ass crap right there...