Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

LifeTeam Medevac - Maui

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Default LifeTeam Medevac - Maui

Anyone have some gouge on the Medevac group flying King Airs in the islands teamed up with AMR? They're looking for an F/O based in Maui. Curious if it's 7on/off or something similar. Any info appreciated. Mahalo!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

I believe it's AirMD dba Lifeteam. They're based in Newton, KS. I think the FO's are 10/5 or something like that, but the CA's are 7/7.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Lifeteam operates in Hawaii for AMR (ambulance, not the 121 operator). Last I heard the pay is 55k for SICs and you work 15-16 days a month at the crew house. Not a great time builder but a good job if you just want some random flying on the side. I used to work for its competitor and the competition is tough but both seem to be holding their own fairly well. If you can upgrade I'm 99% sure you're in the 100k region. Most flights are from Maui to Honolulu where the bigger hospitals are.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Do you have any idea what the mins are for a SIC position? This sounds like an awesome gig.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Thanks for all the feedback. They have a job posted on CT350 for a SIC in Maui. Mins are 1000 and 100 multi.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

1000 total. I flew as an SIC for the competition and logged a whole lot more hours than the Lifeteam SICs. I also made more as LifeFLIGHT has a higher perdiem worked into the payscale. Honestly, if you can get in as an SIC with LifeFLIGHT (the competitor) you'll be a lot more happier. Bigger company, best chief and DO I've ever worked for, and NO CREW HOUSE!!!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:44 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default Hawaii EMS operators

Originally Posted by WillFlyForSpam View Post
1000 total. I flew as an SIC for the competition and logged a whole lot more hours than the Lifeteam SICs. I also made more as LifeFLIGHT has a higher perdiem worked into the payscale. Honestly, if you can get in as an SIC with LifeFLIGHT (the competitor) you'll be a lot more happier. Bigger company, best chief and DO I've ever worked for, and NO CREW HOUSE!!!
Go with life flight.
Before you sign-on with their Hawaii competitor, Life____, ask to see the training and employment agreement. Take your time and ask very direct questions about. Ask to see the training syllabus, Ask to see their CAMTs certification, if they were not CAMT's certified...ask why. Note that on the AMR Hawaii website AMR states it's EMS operators are to be CAMT's certified.
Often these companies that require two year bonds will provide poor training and compensation after you endorse an agreement. Should the employee complain, the company will terminate the employee and require repayment of the bond.
They use the bond to subsidisze their poor business model in an active environment. To be competitive in the industry, they underbid contracts and use the low employee compensation in order to compete in the industry with their poor business model.
In today's pilot market the growth is accelerating at an astronomical rate and demand is overwhelming for the poor business model.
As a new pilot in the market, one should never expect to stay in one position more than a year without substantial increases in compensation. As well, any bond should be pro-rated based on the employment term. Employers that require anything less are only trying to entrap a pilot to subsidize their poor business model.
It is not the pilot's fault the market is like this. Remember, if there were a pilot glut in the market, as there was in the past, most employers would be reducing compensation.
Don't sell yourself for less than your worth and don't allow a scumbag operator to entrap you.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Chief A'Hole

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Barely Flying!

Run don’t walk. Was there for a brief period of time both in Nebraska and Hawaii. The flying is fun, that’s about it. Pay sucks, they will come after you for the training, which is all done in house. This place has been a revolving door for a long time and always will be.

DH
Old 11-16-2017, 01:57 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default EMS KANSAS King Air jobs..one good, one bad.

Ask to see the four page training bond before you spend the money to go there.
Rent a car if you do go for interview. Otherwise when you reject the "indentured servitude" training contract, you need a taxi to take you to the otherside of town where the airport is.

Ask to see the training syllabus and the minimum and fly training you will get. Realize that once you sign the training bond, you will probably get far less training than the syllabus states. As well, you will probably get a line check sign off at the same time even though you have not done a line check as the FAA intended.. The line check activates the training bond.
Be sure to ask if they are certified by the aeromedical standardization known as CAMT's. If not, ask why the failed the audit.

Any operator that feels they can force pilots into an indentured contract , rather than an equitable agreement should be avoided. Check and compare the assumed expense of their training program against on such as FIS...where their Kansas competitor sends its crew. Your training bond should be comparable to the same expense and the same grd and sim hours.. Lord knows how much profit EMS operator "X" in Kansas makes off of the training scam.

Any operator of of a respectable quality will attempt to retain pilots through equitable solutions vs forced indentured contracts. IF YOU ARE NEW IN THE INDUSTRY, YOU PROBABLY HAVE SIGNIFICANT DEBT FROM YOUR EDUCATION. Don't let a scum bag operator flip quarters at you with big promises. Realize your worth and don't ***** the profession. There still are operators that enjoy watching the pilot brethren feed on each other. Avoid them, go with LifeFlight and enjoy a self fulfilling job where you can help others, contribute to the career and exist in a professional environment.

Joe.
( all these comments are personal opinions that represent events I have experienced and should not be considered to constitute the opinions of every pilot....though it may be beneficial if one were to talk to every EMS pilot there)

Last edited by Joe Blowe; 11-16-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Joe Blowe AKA blahblahblah- what a wonderful post. Maybe you should find another field beside flying considering you got fired from your last two jobs, Aloha Air Cargo, Hawaii Life Flight...Apparently you haven't learned your lesson.. I wonder how long it will take for you get fired from your next job???

Take responsibility for your own actions as most others do, at represent the word "dependable" has never been used in the same sentence with your name...
I am not alone in the opinion that aviation would be a safer and more genial enterprise if you were to be excluded from it.

Isn't it silly to think that tearing someone else down builds you up?

Joe

(all these comments are personal opinions that represent events I have experienced and should not be considered to constitute the opinions of every pilot....though it may be beneficial if one were to talk to every EMS pilot there)

ONE LOVE

Last edited by vagabond; 04-05-2018 at 07:28 PM.