Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Originally Posted by sscottky72 View Post
What are the minimums for 99 slot at SLC?
1500 TT for sure, and 500 Multi PIC (I think).
Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT

What's funny is back in the day when Cascade airlines flew those 99's, you needed 1500/500 just for an F/O job in one of them.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat
Default AMF's 99's

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
What's funny is back in the day when Cascade airlines flew those 99's, you needed 1500/500 just for an F/O job in one of them.
AMF's training program is pretty good and pilots come out of the 99 training prepared for the single pilot IFR world. I have good family friends at American Airlines who flew for Wings West (Pre-American Eagle) that have the same BE99 tail numbers in their logbooks that I have in mine. They've been around awhile, but still a kick in the pants to fly. They are a good introduction to turbine aircraft for the pilot coming from piston airplanes.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

freightdog,
Are you in mgmt at Ameriflight. Your posts are always rosy and make the company seem like a great place to be. A descent place to be, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by scjfly; 05-09-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Roses and Sunshine @ AMF

Originally Posted by scjfly View Post
freightdog,
Are you in mgmt at Ameriflight. Your posts are always rosy and make the company seem like a great place to be. A descent place to be, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Why wouldn't you recommend AMF? If you have never worked here then I don't see how you can come off saying that you "wouldn't recommend it." I try and stay positive about flying and my job. I see too many pilots on this forum complaining about management, their contract, or not enough money. AMF is not all roses and sunshine, but it is better than a lot of other operators out there. On the other hand, if you do work at AMF and you are unhappy then you should quit right now and let someone who wants to fly have your run.

No, I'm not management, just another line pilot out in the trenches.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
On the other hand, if you do work at AMF and you are unhappy then you should quit right now and let someone who wants to fly have your run.
Why don't I quit? Because I am under contract and I'm not going to go against my word even though Ameriflight has a tendency to not tell you the whole truth prior to signing them.

I agree, there is some great experience to be had flying for AMF, especially in the northwest. Its fun at first, then the realization sets in that you are working like a dog under contract pulling down 15 hr duty days week in and week out (some bases are better than others and give you days off!).

I guess I'd rather have the public aware of the true situation as it may force Ameriflight to step up to the plate and keep employees the old fashioned way, through pay OR QOL, instead of contracts and threats against your future. Again, I go to work everyday and rarely complain. Just trying add some reality to the info about Ameriflight on this site.

Last edited by scjfly; 05-10-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: BE-99 Captain

I worked at ameriflight and thought it was ok. They use and abuse you but what airline job doesn't now. I work for skywest now and definetly feel they abuse as much as AMF did. Maybe one day pilots will all come togther and fight for what we deserve. Fair contracts and working conditions. It is time we all stop undercutting each other for time and rally for strong union support.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by PDXflyer View Post
I worked at ameriflight and thought it was ok. They use and abuse you but what airline job doesn't now. I work for skywest now and definetly feel they abuse as much as AMF did. Maybe one day pilots will all come togther and fight for what we deserve. Fair contracts and working conditions. It is time we all stop undercutting each other for time and rally for strong union support.
You're right PDXflyer, and scjfly I can understand where you are coming from. I was up in PDX for 3 weeks for TDY and the 99 runs are not the best in the system. Some bases are better than others and that's the cold hard truth.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by scjfly View Post
Why don't I quit? Because I am under contract and I'm not going to go against my word even though Ameriflight has a tendency to not tell you the whole truth prior to signing them.

I agree, there is some great experience to be had flying for AMF, especially in the northwest. Its fun at first, then the realization sets in that you are working like a dog under contract pulling down 15 hr duty days week in and week out (some bases are better than others and give you days off!).

I guess I'd rather have the public aware of the true situation as it may force Ameriflight to step up to the plate and keep employees the old fashioned way, through pay and QOL, instead of contracts and threats against your future. Again, I go to work everyday and rarely complain. Just trying add some reality to the info about Ameriflight on this site.
SCJFLY:
I hear where you're coming from. No matter how much seniority you gain the schedule never changed. I've stayed with AMF through thick and thin. Then I realized "where am I going to go?" If I go to another operation I have to start over in both pay and seniority. I've found it's better to stick it out and wait for a good move to a better company. I'm saying this because most of my friends are at the regionals, XJT, SKW, and QX. They all want to walk my resume in, but I can't afford the pay cut. I would recommend that while you work out your agreement with AMF take on other duties to broaden your resume. I.E. training captain and possibly check airmen. These are the guy's that are leaving first and going onto the fract's and LCC's.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by PDXflyer View Post
I've heard that a possible pay raise is in the works. G.R. is concerned with the pilot situation and is looking for ways to hire and retain pilots. The new policy of Nav charts reimbursement is proof of this. Also our ACP wants to put us on a 4 day work week, but we need pilots to do this. So I'm doing what I can to entice other's to join our base. Most of them are coming from piston only ops.