Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Star Marianas Skype Interview

Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013
Default Star Marianas Skype Interview

Hi all,

I have a skype interview with Star Marianas tomorrow and was wondering if anyone here can shed any light as far as what to expect.

Its VFR in a 172 apparently so I don't expect much. If anybody here has flown or currently flys for them, any info would be greatly appreciated.

At 300 TT / 45 multi and no CFI, this is basically my only option it seems.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Contract

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: SR22

I didn't think they took non-cfis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2015, 07:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I'm told by the HR department that they will take a non-CFI provided they have a multi engine rating.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: DiverDriver

I did the Skype interview a few months ago, I have 1460 TT, 300 multi, 250 Turbine PiC and they said they required a CFI. Got a thanks no thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 03:48 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Position: Charter Pilot

very shady operation, don't go work for them
Old 09-14-2015, 05:29 PM
whatever

Joined APC: Sep 2015

If you can, go get your CFI and do some teaching. My first corporate Chief also only hired CFI's so more common than you may think and
I learned more as a cfi than any other point in my career. Too bad the pay isnt there.
Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Well, they hired me. I've done my research, consulted many pilot buddies, asked the company all the important questions I could think of, and I will be flying to Saipan by way of Tokyo in about 3 weeks via United.

To be honest the operation doesn't seem that shady. They seem to have a solid maintenance department. Looks like I'll be flying a lot which is of course, my goal.

Starting off doing "Discovery" tour flights in a 172 until I have 500 hours. Then I get to fly a Saratoga on the 135 ticket doing charters between the islands.

Seems like a nice time-building gig. They are putting me in a hotel for 7 nights while I locate a place to live. I'll try to partner up with another new-hire who wants a roommate. (PM me if you are going here too, I know they just hired a bunch of guys)

Overall, I'm looking forward to this adventure. Contract is for 6 months at a time. I can give them that. This will be my first flying job and I'm guessing its going to be a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: FAR 91 CP, GLEX

Make the best of it and look at it as an adventure while building flight time. I did the Saipan thing way back yonder, albeit with a different operator, and had a blast. I was a CFI at the time and it allowed me to get my career going. No regrets.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by challengerflyer View Post
Make the best of it and look at it as an adventure while building flight time. I did the Saipan thing way back yonder, albeit with a different operator, and had a blast. I was a CFI at the time and it allowed me to get my career going. No regrets.
That's exactly my mentality.

If you don't mind me asking, which operator did you work for in Saipan?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
Well, they hired me. I've done my research, consulted many pilot buddies, asked the company all the important questions I could think of, and I will be flying to Saipan by way of Tokyo in about 3 weeks via United.

To be honest the operation doesn't seem that shady. They seem to have a solid maintenance department. Looks like I'll be flying a lot which is of course, my goal.

Starting off doing "Discovery" tour flights in a 172 until I have 500 hours. Then I get to fly a Saratoga on the 135 ticket doing charters between the islands.

Seems like a nice time-building gig. They are putting me in a hotel for 7 nights while I locate a place to live. I'll try to partner up with another new-hire who wants a roommate. (PM me if you are going here too, I know they just hired a bunch of guys)

Overall, I'm looking forward to this adventure. Contract is for 6 months at a time. I can give them that. This will be my first flying job and I'm guessing its going to be a hell of a lot of fun.
Congrats bud! I'm only a few months behind you and look forward to hearing an update after you get your feet wet.