Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Kalitta Charters New Hire

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:03 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: LRJet (SIC), DA20 (Soon to be SIC)

Originally Posted by Bienert338 View Post
Hey Guys,
First time posting on the forum... Or any forum at that 😬 so hopefully I did this in the right spot. I was just hired on with Kalitta Charters and I start class on the 16th. Currently I live in Waterford/Pontiac by PTK and with the Kalitta job I'll have to move somewhere within 15mins of YIP. I was looking to see if there is anyone else in that area that would know of a crash pad or a good (and by good I mean cheap) apartment for myself. I need a place to live within 15mins of YIP for my 2 week on rotation, then I'll commute out for my week soon to be 2 weeks off. Roomates=less$$=good. Any other info on the soon to be job would be good too.
Still looking for a place? I'm not happy with where I'm at currently. I signed a month-to-month so I can jet any time. Did you go in with any of the other FO's? I'm trying to find a guy from each color group to go in with on an apartment. That way there's only two guys at a time.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by mmdollinger View Post
Still looking for a place? I'm not happy with where I'm at currently. I signed a month-to-month so I can jet any time. Did you go in with any of the other FO's? I'm trying to find a guy from each color group to go in with on an apartment. That way there's only two guys at a time.
I'm starting on the 18th for Charters 2. Starting to look at options for a crash pad for my 9 days on rotation. If you guys put something together and are looking for another guy let me know
Old 05-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: L188

Any latest on K2. The good the bad the ugly? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: ERJ

I worked for Charters last year, and lived there in a crashpad with the other pilots from my groundschool for a year in a place called Southport Apartments. The rent was market rate for a two-bedroom unit: $850, which was split among the four of us. Some of us quit or left onto other companies; we found others to take up there place. It was about 10 minutes drive from KYIP, so we were content with that.

If you can't find a cheap crashpad, find someone else in your ground school or other Kalitta pilots to bunk up with.

As far as the morale at K9...it is not the best. As soon as I reached ATP minimums I bolted for SkyWest, and I'm not regretting it at all (I'm super thankful to have left is a gross understatement, the lifestyle, schedule and equipment are by far better). With first year pay being what it is at the regionals nowadays, working for Kalitta is frankly not the wisest thing that anyone should do unless he/she is tied down to the Ypsilanti/Detroit area for whatever reason.

And with Endeavor having a base there and SkyWest which is opening a DTW base in July, there is even less of a reason to be going to K9.... Just saying
Old 05-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

I don't know the current pay at K Charters, but USA Jet pay is high. They are the same airport as KC...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: ERJ

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
I don't know the current pay at K Charters, but USA Jet pay is high. They are the same airport as KC...
For FOs? It is abominable given what the regionals and other 135s are offering nowadays, starting out at $30k first year and rising up to $37k after eight years.... I will make more my first year at SkyWest and second and third year pay here and at some of the other better-paying regionals nowadays can earn you over $40k safely. Captain's pay is about equal to regional airline captains' pay, but long-term one can pull in much more at a regional maxing out at the top of the payscale, relatively.

I looked into USA Jet at one time, but the schedule is still as shoddy as Kalitta's (and illegal to boot), and new-hires fly only like 12 hours a month. Newhire FO pay is about $50k from what some of the USA pilots reported to me, but overall my guess is that long-term someone would still be better off at a regional flying 70 - 90 hours per month....