Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Tips? Where did they go? Bueler? (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/91648-tips-where-did-they-go-bueler.html)

thedud 11-10-2015 12:44 PM

Tips? Where did they go? Bueler?

I have to ask the masses. Is it just me or has tipping in the 135 world dried up in the last year? Frequently we pick up pax that are littering everyone but us pilots with tips. I don't get it. A couple of years ago it seemed you could almost count on them and suddenly its as if a switch was flipped.

auflyer06 11-10-2015 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by thedud (Post 2008714)
I have to ask the masses. Is it just me or has tipping in the 135 world dried up in the last year? Frequently we pick up pax that are littering everyone but us pilots with tips. I don't get it. A couple of years ago it seemed you could almost count on them and suddenly its as if a switch was flipped.

If you want tips, not to sound provocative, be a waiter. If you want to be a professional and receive pay accordingly then demand it and you won't have to worry about tips. Not that this applies to you, but I never understood the need for tips as a pilot.

Thedude 11-10-2015 05:38 PM

One 135 company that I worked for would suggest the "tip" on the invoice but the money (amazingly) never made it to the crew.

Captyeager 11-10-2015 06:54 PM

Like night and day! Two years ago it was every other customer tipping me and this year it was nothing! The funny thing is I'm so much better at my job then last year....maybe I was getting tips out of pity...lol

Captyeager 11-10-2015 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by auflyer06 (Post 2008875)
If you want tips, not to sound provocative, be a waiter. If you want to be a professional and receive pay accordingly then demand it and you won't have to worry about tips. Not that this applies to you, but I never understood the need for tips as a pilot.

I was a one man show flying air taxi. Catering, luggage, PIC , concierge, making sure their car was on the ramp waiting etc...I never expected a tip but it was nice when someone noticed I was sweating bullets and running around on the ramp at landmark kteb like a maniac. The pace was exhausting but fun too

dirtysidedown 11-11-2015 04:47 AM

My favorite is when i am handling all the pax luggage while line guy stands there with his hands in his pocket and then gets the tip. And yes, i have noticed a big decrease in crew tips, $100 for each crew member used to be the norm. This used to help subsidize with the crappy 135 pay.

BayBum4Ever 11-11-2015 05:03 AM

I saw the same thing many times during my 135 days at DPJ. The passenger would tip the limo driver $100 for driving them across town and nothing for us, barely a Thank you, after we flew them across the country in the middle of the night, handled their bags,catering, etc.

BayBum

twebb 11-11-2015 08:34 AM

I know of one very large broker that asks the client if they would like to tip the pilots, and the money never gets to the pilots. If that payment is documented somewhere, I think every pilot should get a very large settlement check from them.

dirtysidedown 11-11-2015 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by twebb (Post 2009110)
I know of one very large broker that asks the client if they would like to tip the pilots, and the money never gets to the pilots. If that payment is documented somewhere, I think every pilot should get a very large settlement check from them.

Yes. This does happen.

yeagermeister 11-11-2015 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by twebb (Post 2009110)

Does it rhyme with SENTIENT?

Just a wild guess...