Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

What to do...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Default What to do...

I know there have been a few similar topics, but with the future "shortage" or whatnot, in not sure how it applies now.
Hypothetical situation: Say your offered a couple jobs..
1) SIC in a jet, 40k/yr with a 11/9, eventual upgrade in a year or two. No training contract. Home based.

2) PIC in a large SE turboprop, 50k/yr starting lay, 8/6 schedule and 2yr training agreement. Company has some jets also, but no set, clear timeline to get into them. Could be soon, could be a good while, I don't know. They also do home basing, but are also headquartered about 2hrs from the house.

Which route would you take? I am multi ATP rated, but only have around 70hrs multi at this point.
I want to stay in the charter/ home based companies for the remainder..maybe NetJets or something down the road if these other two don't seem to work out, or go under etc...
Old 12-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Hey just wanted to offer some advice. I've seen multiple posts by you now asking good questions. I understand you have low time in the 135 and 121 world.

So here goes be very careful of an SIC gig in the 135 world saying they will upgrade you in a couple years. Unless you have 3,000-5000 hours there is a small chance you will be upgradable/insurable. Also make sure this company is providing a PIC type and not a SIC type. An SIC type is worth very little in the 135 world. Most reputable companies will provide you training for a PIC type, especially if they truly plan on upgrading you. I have witnessed multiple co-workers be promised an upgrade at my previous 135 outfit however they were never upgraded after 3+ years of service.

Also do not take the SE job as it will not make you competitive. There will be people miles ahead of you in regards to flight experience in jet or multi engine aircraft. You would have a better chance flying BE-99's for Ameriflight and getting on with Netjets, XOJet, Flexjet, etc.

Anyhow I hope the best for you man, just be careful and never believe promises unless it is in writing.

Happy holidays
Old 12-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

@durrr thank you for the advice! I appreciate it. I think the jet operator will not send me for PIC until upgrade or possibly earlier if they see I am not going to jump ship.
With regard to the upgrade, I am not banking on it, but I think they were going to use my TT for insurance, or at least sounded that way. He asked my TT and I told him 2400 and he says ok, well that satisfies our ins req, and after 1-2yrs depending upon your abilities in the jet etc..we will upgrade.
I know to take it all with a grain of salt, just wondering which one to pick for the benefit of my career long term. May not get offered either of them who knows! Just thought if I got offered the SE gig first, if I should jump on it.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: FO

If you need the money, take the Pilatus job. You will also be PIC, which is valuable as well.

If you can afford it, take the jet job. Then keep on applying to anywhere else that will pay you more.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
If you need the money, take the Pilatus job. You will also be PIC, which is valuable as well.

If you can afford it, take the jet job. Then keep on applying to anywhere else that will pay you more.
I've budgeted in the paycut for either job. Just a waiting game now I guess to see if/when one of them comes through with an official offer.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:21 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2014

That 2 year training contract in a SE TP is a no-go for me. I'm not against SE TP (I'm doing that now), but after a two years of CFI'ing I decided to jump into 135 vice 121. After a year of making that jump I'm already PIC typed in the CJ and in 6 months I'll likely move over to the left seat (hopefully full time). If I did a 2 year training contract like the one above in the SE TP I'd be no closer to my goal!

EDIT: Now that I think about it too, a 2 year training contract where you don't get typed is a raw deal in terms of training contracts (most training contracts are bogus). Not that the PC-12 is a cheap aircraft, but being committed to paying them to training you for 2 years is not the best deal.

Last edited by davidm21; 12-21-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: Wrong

If your long term goal is a career in a multi aircraft, you need multi time. If you took the Pilatus job you'll be 3,000TT/ 70ME; 3,500TT/ 70ME; 4,000TT/ 70ME; maybe you'll find more multi here and there, but it won't increase as much as your TT.

I've been there, top heavy SE. The only way to balance it out is to do ME flying.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Admiral

Although I loved my time in the PC-12 (and would gladly go back to SE turboprop flying if the price were right) any training contract on an aircraft that doesn't even add a Type Rating to your ticked should be viewed suspiciously.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks guys! I made a typo, it's only a one year contract, but still a contract none the less.
Another question: would you take the SE gig if offered nothing else? I'm not sure if I'll get an offer on either of these gigs, but I wonder if I should just wait out a ME gig vs the SE and at least getting my foot in the FW world....decisions descisons I guess lol.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by badtransam97 View Post
Thanks guys! I made a typo, it's only a one year contract, but still a contract none the less.
Another question: would you take the SE gig if offered nothing else? I'm not sure if I'll get an offer on either of these gigs, but I wonder if I should just wait out a ME gig vs the SE and at least getting my foot in the FW world....decisions descisons I guess lol.
I took a SE gig and love it so far. There's future potential to upgrade to a King Air 350.