Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Grand Canyon Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 07:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Default Grand Canyon Airlines?

Any updated info on them? Can't really find anything of much detail past 2008.

I'm Interested in finding out what the 208 pay is and do they run those strictly single pilot?

Typical work day, atmosphere there, training, training contracts, etc etc?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Last I heard it's a one year training contract. Not sure about the work hours now, but I know it was brutal a year or so ago. I heard summer is pretty intense. And the 208 is single pilot but I think they normally upgrade folks from in house first from the right seat of the -6. Might be worth a call to their training department to verify. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:46 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2016

They hired too many FO's last year for the DH6. Pilots didn't log many hours individually. Won't be hiring any for this position for the rest of the calendar year. 64.6hr guaranteed flight hour pay for 2 weeks, starting at $12 an hour before taxes. Twin otter FO until 850TT, then caravan under a year contract, then back to twin otter as captain. They really need captains but everyone wants to leave after that 1000 hours of turbine.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:48 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Otherwise a really good company to work for.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by LAGINGG View Post
Otherwise a really good company to work for.
What are the req. for street ca?
135 min.?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: E175 FO

I left GCA about a year ago. So far what's been said is pretty correct based on what I've heard from people who were there more recently. They're hurting BAD for Twin Otter Captains, but with the 1500 hour requirement everyone just bails to a regional or something else. 1 year $10,000 training contract for any seat you're hired/trained in, but that may have changed. I hear they are fat on Twin Otter FOs.

Summer is pretty brutal. Expect to consistently fly 5am to 5-6pm, 8-12 legs a day, pretty much non-stop. We were on a 5 on 2 off schedule when I left. The pay is by the duty hour, not flight hour; which is a plus. It slows WAY down in the off-season. You will easily log 800 hours a year regardless.

Their training department is, in all honesty; excellent. They'll put you through ground school and all the way through IOE in a month-ish. They don't hire non-hackers, so don't expect to easily get a job as a 250 hour wonder pilot; they don't like people washing out (duh). That being said, I was hired in 2013 with 350 hours TT and 150 multi. I remember there were 2 or 3 street captains that came on when I was there. All had prior twin otter time or more than 2000 hours TT. I imagine anyone with a good attitude and 121 mins could get the job.

All that being said, it was a great first job in the industry, beats instructing; multi-turbine time is a good thing to have. Cool flying, young and vibrant pilot group. Some parts of me still misses it.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Last I heard they want an ATP to fly tourists in a twin otter.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012

Originally Posted by Safety View Post
Last I heard they want an ATP to fly tourists in a twin otter.
§ 135.243 Pilot in command qualifications.
(a) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command in passenger-carrying operations -

(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.

SIC just needs a commercial multi and instrument. For what its worth, Scenic/GCA was my first flying job and I loved it. Long days, but lots of friendships and the Twin Otter is such a fun plane. That was back in 2007ish so not sure if much has changed, but it's a great way to get some multi turbine time and CRM experience.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2016

SIC just needs a commercial multi and instrument. For what its worth, Scenic/GCA was my first flying job and I loved it. Long days, but lots of friendships and the Twin Otter is such a fun plane.
Thanks for the PAX regulation quote.