Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Lear 45 reliability question (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/93713-lear-45-reliability-question.html)

Flgatorz11 03-03-2016 05:33 AM

Lear 45 reliability question

I have a question for the 45 drivers out there. The company I fly for moved to an all 45 fleet (4 birds) about a year and a half ago. It seams like the longer we get from when the planes were brought online we are having more and more problems. Things like hydraulics, FMS issues, bleed air etc. Any of you all notice any issues like this?

grimmdj 03-03-2016 06:07 AM

Not Part 135, but our Lear 45XR, is the most unreliable
Airplane I have ever flown. Bought new.

Flgatorz11 03-03-2016 09:34 AM

I thought it was just the sim that was unreliable. That thing always had an engine failing and at the worst time.

Stihlsaw 03-04-2016 12:31 AM

Friend of mine flew one for a few years. He has nothing good to say about the 45! Everything from avionics to an early divert while enroute single engine due to it pumping all its oil overboard

emagnusson 12-13-2016 01:30 PM

More on reliability

Originally Posted by Flgatorz11 (Post 2080994)
I have a question for the 45 drivers out there. The company I fly for moved to an all 45 fleet (4 birds) about a year and a half ago. It seams like the longer we get from when the planes were brought online we are having more and more problems. Things like hydraulics, FMS issues, bleed air etc. Any of you all notice any issues like this?

My company is considering a similar move. If you're still in the 45, how has your experience been since this thread?
Thanks!

BPWI 12-13-2016 03:03 PM

In my earlier days I flew the 45/45XR/75. Never saw a real issue from reliability, but we only flew them 250-350hrs a year. The 75 was the worst of the bunch due to the immense amount of electrical issues (see Garmin) compared to the other variants.

phxaviator 12-14-2016 06:45 AM

I've flown 45's part 135 (about 500hrs a year on the aircraft), currently manage and fly one part 91 (approx. 250 hours a year), and do contracting in them as well. Even on the 500 hour a year bird we had about a 95%-97% dispatch reliability. I've always found the 45/40 to be very reliable. The only major issues I constantly see is in the APU, hydraulics, and AFCS systems.

Compared to the other Lear Jet types in our fleet our 45 was the most reliable plane that we operated.

Cwils36 12-14-2016 08:19 PM

The ownership group I fly for bought a 45xr in August, we've had several issues right out the shop with it and it's become a head ache quite honestly. I've flown embraer, citation, and Beechcraft products before this and I never had this many issues, the major one being we had an engine failure at FL 430 on our 4th flight due to a fuel line failure (there was a recent SB addressing this issue BTW, you're welcome). Other issues we've had include oxygen leaks, DU1 failing intermittently, emergency exit lights not working, failed overhead light strip, AP FAIL (roll servo), and several other minor issues.

The airplane itself is phenomenal, I've never flown an airplane with this kind of performance. But I think the aircraft owners are rightfully displeased with the reliability and uncertainty that comes with it. Hopefully it turns around but I don't like what I've seen in my short time so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk