Working for multiple 135 carriers

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Working for multiple 135 carriers

Old 04-24-2016, 07:01 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Default Working for multiple 135 carriers

Good Morning Gents, I have a question...

Do companies (Regionals/Majors) frown upon guys who bounce around from multiple 135 gigs? I have an opportunity on the table now to build some quality multi-engine time as an SIC. But unfortunately, I'm a bit concerned how employers will perceive me now because this will be my 3rd job in the past 2yrs.

I currently fly the PC-12 for Planesense as an SIC ... My ultimate goal is to eventually make it to the majors ASAP!!! Is it uncommon for guys to bounce around from job to job before hitting the jackpot? If I accept the job will I be labeled as an individual who can't maintain steady employment?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:09 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2015

I can't speak from experience, but my bet would be this:

It does seem uncommon to have multiple jobs in a year, unless you were somehow able to separate both on your duty time, and fulfill rest req's. If you left because of an accident/incident/safety concern, there would be a problem.

HOWEVER, as I understand, 121 ops are looking for pilots who will be happy in their airplanes. If you spent 6 months or less at a job, and it wasn't the job you thought it was, you will probably have the opportunity to explain that in an interview.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: ERJ, CA

Gaining a variety of experience can only help you. Gong from SE SIC to ME SIC is entirely understandable. Also some pilot jobs are seasonable such as banner towing or Alaska flying, and that is accepted in the industry. In the past, people did hold several different jobs over a couple of years in order to build the necessary experience just to get into a commuter or regional airline.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Showing career progression to gain requisite experience is a non issue. However, be careful with time/duty and rest requirements if you are working for multiple 135 operators concurrently. You and the company are both responsible to comply with the rules. Thus you need to inform each company about "any other 135 flying" you may be doing on the side.