Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight add on APC?

Old 05-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by hotice View Post
Tell me how I will be able to feed my family if I went to the airlines.
Go ahead and look up year 2 FO pay at every major/legacy and get back to me. Not to mention every year they contribute 16% to your 401k without you putting in a single dime. So your 90-100k sounds good today, but over the course of a career you're losing millions.

Not saying EMS isn't a good job. But if 100k is the top of your payscale I wouldn't say it is a career job.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Go ahead and look up year 2 FO pay at every major/legacy and get back to me. Not to mention every year they contribute 16% to your 401k without you putting in a single dime. So your 90-100k sounds good today, but over the course of a career you're losing millions.

Not saying EMS isn't a good job. But if 100k is the top of your payscale I wouldn't say it is a career job.
I think he is more asking about the several years before he gets there. Anyway, 90k at almost the exact same time away from home as an 8-5 M-F with days off in a way that you can actually live is not doing bad at all in my eyes. For some people, they'd have to give up things you can't put a price tag on to get to the Majors, it just depends on the person and their situation. I also started playing around with the Airmen database and the additional ATP certs for 2015 and don't see the big deal. It looks good if you're stuck at a regional now but not so much for newcomers. I'll have to dig into it more though.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver View Post
Why leave a CFI gig for AMF at 1200 hours, when you can wait a little longer and go straight to a regional at 1500?
So you can learn something about real IFR flying before trying it for the first time at a regional.... :-)

Seriously, Ameriflight or any 135 operator that flies on a regular basis is excellent preparation for a regional.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

Originally Posted by flyingagain View Post
So you can learn something about real IFR flying before trying it for the first time at a regional.... :-)

Seriously, Ameriflight or any 135 operator that flies on a regular basis is excellent preparation for a regional.
I'm never said that it isn't good preparation, but at a 121 carrier seniority is everything. If you are doing anything north of 50 hours a month doing the CFI thing, sticking it out 6 months to go the 121 route is a better move long term career-wise, if flying 121 is the route you want to take.

And that's coming from a guy who worked at AMF for a while. Now had 121.436(a)3 not been written in the way it is, making 135 freight time worthless, AMF would have more value.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by KSCessnaDriver View Post
I'm never said that it isn't good preparation, but at a 121 carrier seniority is everything. If you are doing anything north of 50 hours a month doing the CFI thing, sticking it out 6 months to go the 121 route is a better move long term career-wise, if flying 121 is the route you want to take.

And that's coming from a guy who worked at AMF for a while. Now had 121.436(a)3 not been written in the way it is, making 135 freight time worthless, AMF would have more value.
It's not worthless in terms of total time and flight experience.

Any large carrier is not going to hire you direct to the left seat. You will still spend a couple of years (at least) in the right seat, where you will get your required 1000 hours of 121 time. So having the 121 time in a regional, at least from the standpoint of the regulations, has no more value than time at AMF would be.

Now, when it comes to the actual hiring folks, I have heard both ways about the importance of previous 121 time. And most of the ones I have heard say the 121 time is more important, have all been folks who DID go to the regional. I have talked to a few hiring folks who say it isn't that critical.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Banned

135 time isn't worthless for other 135 time. Single pilot flying is great for thinking on your own, but there is also no checks and balance when it's just you, do you won't be gaining any CRM skills by flying a small turboprop by yourself. With there only being a couple hundred ours between 135 mins and ATP mins, it makes no sense to go 135. The stigma of going from 121 to 135 is long gone, the experience is more relevant to anything you'll be doing that's half way a career job, and you'll learn proper habits early on. Lots of stuff has to be unlearned when you leave AMF.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Lots of stuff has to be unlearned when you leave AMF.
True. A lot of guys get lazy and unprofessional and start doing things their own way after they finish training. We see it all the time during recurrent rides.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
True. A lot of guys get lazy and unprofessional and start doing things their own way after they finish training. We see it all the time during recurrent rides.
That's because of an overall lack of consistency, and procedure, honestly it is shocking that AMF hasn't been shut down for the cultural issues that stem even today. But to be fair, lots of pilots have no accountability there. They are on an out stationed run, then fly by themselves, and every 6 months they have to remember how AMF wants them to fly. At a company with a second crew member, it's much easier to do the right thing.