EagleMed Fixed Wing Info??

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

EagleMed Fixed Wing Info??

Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: Wings and Leather

Talked to the boss tonight, we start new guys with no air ambulance experience at $56650.00 if your higher time and have been flying air am... That's negotiable. We also offer a $1500.00 retention bonus at the end of one year of service. If you stay five years it's $5000.00. Most bases are commutable. And we have much more than what was mentioned above. Getting along with the crew is paramount but not as difficult as it sounds. Although I am on seven days at a time I may see one crewmember twice in that shift. So you don't have a steady dose of the same people every day. My best advice to new guys is. Keep them fed, keep them comfortable, but more important keep them safe. And I'm very serious about the no pressure to take a trip.
Hope this helps. LD
Old 05-14-2016, 04:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

I spent some time at EMD many years ago; still one of my favorite jobs. There's a lot of good, true stuff posted here about the EMS flying...it's not for everyone. If you've never flown single-pilot, hard IFR, with all of the extras thrown in that folks have spoken about, I'd think long and hard about jumping into that. Sure, it can be done, but it is a challenge unlike any other.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:01 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Awesome guys! A lot of great info here. One last question and I'll stop bugging you haha. You used the word commutable, does that mean some people don't live in base? And when you're on duty do you stay in the hangar? I'm guessing they may have sleeping quarters for the crew?

Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2016, 05:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

It has been a long time since I've worked there, but at the time we did not have to be on-site during our shift. Only had to be airborne within a specified time, so I could sit on my couch with a pager- it was awesome. I've heard they now do need to be on-site and, yes, there is a designated crew quarters area. Back then they were really nice, too, and I'm sure they still are.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:26 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: Wings and Leather

I supervise a crew in western Kansas and none of the pilots live in town. We have a pilot apartment for off duty and are "hard" based. Meaning we hang with the crew at another location while on duty. I've had guys that live in Denver and as far away as Georga working out here. We work 8 am to 8 pm and can sleep while on duty. Don't be shy about asking... This helps everyone who is looking. Good luck! LD
Old 05-14-2016, 05:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Originally Posted by newhire1234 View Post
Awesome guys! A lot of great info here. One last question and I'll stop bugging you haha. You used the word commutable, does that mean some people don't live in base? And when you're on duty do you stay in the hangar? I'm guessing they may have sleeping quarters for the crew?

Thanks again!
Most people don't live in the smaller towns. You must be at the hangar for your whole shift. There is a trailer or house that the crew stays in while on shift with individual rooms for each person.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2016, 05:39 AM
Line Holder

Thanks guys for the great info!
Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 AM
Line Holder

I'm sure the flight time varies but how often would one actually fly on a 7 day stretch? I looked up flight aware and I can see some planes fly like twice a day.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Originally Posted by newhire1234 View Post
I'm sure the flight time varies but how often would one actually fly on a 7 day stretch? I looked up flight aware and I can see some planes fly like twice a day.
If you are looking for flight time, this is the wrong place. The normal is about 200 hours a year. The most I ever flew was 6 times in a 7 day hitch and that wasn't the normal. It was about 20 hours a month. The better the weather, the less you fly. You will mostly get called when it's IFR. Most trips are 3 legs and not usually more than 45 minutes a leg.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2016, 06:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Not about EMD, specifically, but FW EMS flying in general:
As for the medcrews, a flight can be totally safe and legal, but you can still scare the snot out of them. You can fly 100nm from a cell and they'll still swear you went right through it. Not all, just some. Keep them in the loop as far as what's going on. The worst are the adrenaline junkies who are there for the RW scene flights and find FW boring. In the HEMS/HAA world, flying in a cloud means certain death and that's their mindset.