Any Grant Aviation guys around?

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Any Grant Aviation guys around?

Old 06-19-2016, 02:49 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Default Any Grant Aviation guys around?

I have an offer to fly for Grant in the sled and/or airvan. Looking for a few current or former pilots to pick your brain, re: qol, likely bases, living situations, etc....

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:35 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: C207

Sent you a PM
Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2016

I'd steer clear, crappy bases, crappy pay. I'd look into Ryan air or Bering air. Great pay/bases.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2012
Position: Left seat

Originally Posted by AkBushPilot View Post
I'd steer clear, crappy bases, crappy pay. I'd look into Ryan air or Bering air. Great pay/bases.
Second for Bering Air.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

I also agree to stay clear. If you have the time definitely go to Ryan Air. They have a really cool pilot group and the ground crews are trained well and work hard to keep you loaded correctly. I actually sat next to some of their board of directors on an Alaska flight a few weeks ago. Nicest guys on a Board I've ever met, they even flew economy haha. If you don't have the hours go to Yute Air. They have old looking 207's but their maintenance is phenomenal. They also have a new pay matrix I just saw where you will start out making more than alot of regional captains and get guaranteed 15 days off a month. Also starting in the summer is the best way to go. You get a feel for the flying before the weather gets ****ty. Good Luck!
Old 06-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold

Another vote here to steer clear of Grant. All sorts of problems there. Hageland is a good choice to add to the list as well.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010

I'm jumping in to follow this. I'm looking for a potential job in AK next spring. Does Grant ever hire directly into the King Air for somebody with time in M/M?
Old 06-30-2016, 03:01 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2012
Position: Sky Pirate

Originally Posted by The Gardener View Post
I'm jumping in to follow this. I'm looking for a potential job in AK next spring. Does Grant ever hire directly into the King Air for somebody with time in M/M?
Hehehe. Hahahaha. Ahahahahahahah-ahhhhhh. Thanks. I needed that.

Seriously, though: No. There is a dynamic that used to prevail in Alaska Part 135 flying that went something like this.. "If you come fly the sled for us, and we really like you, and you don't ever turn down any flights, and you like working on your days off, and your wife has a good job so she can support you, and you can see through clouds, then after a couple years, if we still like you, then we might begin to talk about possibly giving you a shot at flying the Bonanza/Navajo/402 in the ice over the Alaska/Chugach range MEAs of 12/14K feet. If you survive a couple years of this, and we still like you, we might dangle a volunteer position in the right seat of a Skyvan/1900/ King air/ Metroliner/ etc, so you can pad your resume with some twin-turbine SIC. By now, your wife has undoubtedly left you, but have no fear: you can marry one of our hub ticket agents, and live in the chief pilots's travel trailer in transient parking, because by now, you two are BFFs, and you have proven that you're a company man.

Anyway, after 2001, this sweet deal evaporated into thin air, but somehow, Grant never got the memo.

No, I haven't worked for Grant. Just all the others. That said, I wouldn't fly anywhere else but Alaska. Or maybe Africa.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by NorthRoader907 View Post
Hehehe. Hahahaha. Ahahahahahahah-ahhhhhh. Thanks. I needed that.

Seriously, though: No. There is a dynamic that used to prevail in Alaska Part 135 flying that went something like this.. "If you come fly the sled for us, and we really like you, and you don't ever turn down any flights, and you like working on your days off, and your wife has a good job so she can support you, and you can see through clouds, then after a couple years, if we still like you, then we might begin to talk about possibly giving you a shot at flying the Bonanza/Navajo/402 in the ice over the Alaska/Chugach range MEAs of 12/14K feet. If you survive a couple years of this, and we still like you, we might dangle a volunteer position in the right seat of a Skyvan/1900/ King air/ Metroliner/ etc, so you can pad your resume with some twin-turbine SIC. By now, your wife has undoubtedly left you, but have no fear: you can marry one of our hub ticket agents, and live in the chief pilots's travel trailer in transient parking, because by now, you two are BFFs, and you have proven that you're a company man.

Anyway, after 2001, this sweet deal evaporated into thin air, but somehow, Grant never got the memo.

No, I haven't worked for Grant. Just all the others. That said, I wouldn't fly anywhere else but Alaska. Or maybe Africa.
Can't hate me for asking

It was that last sentence that gets us all in the trouble we're in...
Now back to packing for a paid vacation to Tahoe. See, there, I just did it too. %*$(
Old 06-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold

Originally Posted by PrettyFlyGuy View Post
I also agree to stay clear. If you have the time definitely go to Ryan Air. They have a really cool pilot group and the ground crews are trained well and work hard to keep you loaded correctly. I actually sat next to some of their board of directors on an Alaska flight a few weeks ago. Nicest guys on a Board I've ever met, they even flew economy haha. If you don't have the hours go to Yute Air. They have old looking 207's but their maintenance is phenomenal. They also have a new pay matrix I just saw where you will start out making more than alot of regional captains and get guaranteed 15 days off a month. Also starting in the summer is the best way to go. You get a feel for the flying before the weather gets ****ty. Good Luck!
Do you mean Ravn? Ryan Air is the airline out of Ireland.