Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air First Officer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:55 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Kool-Aid Aficionado

I was at 9k for 2 years, as FO then captain. I'm not sure if they're still basing FO's in HYA, since most of the routes out of there are short and the loads often full- not good for FO time building. Your best chance of being based in HYA is flying the mail plane to Nantucket once you hit 1200 hrs. But you will only be able to do that from 1200-1500 hrs, then you'll have to upgrade to captain and bid with the all the other senior captains, for 30+ bases. Sadly, Cape Air's amount of Cape and Islands flying is getting less and less, while they focus more on the EAS flying. While it certainly is possible to be based on cape, when you come to 9k you have to be prepared to move, perhaps every 6 months until you get enough seniority, ie 2 yrs or so. Pretty fun company to work for overall but the basing system is rough. Getting BOS as an FO is do-able. As a captain, Provincetown is somewhat junior, in the winter anyways, so that's a possibility for you to stay on cape.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by 1800RVR View Post
I was at 9k for 2 years, as FO then captain. I'm not sure if they're still basing FO's in HYA, since most of the routes out of there are short and the loads often full- not good for FO time building. Your best chance of being based in HYA is flying the mail plane to Nantucket once you hit 1200 hrs. But you will only be able to do that from 1200-1500 hrs, then you'll have to upgrade to captain and bid with the all the other senior captains, for 30+ bases. Sadly, Cape Air's amount of Cape and Islands flying is getting less and less, while they focus more on the EAS flying. While it certainly is possible to be based on cape, when you come to 9k you have to be prepared to move, perhaps every 6 months until you get enough seniority, ie 2 yrs or so. Pretty fun company to work for overall but the basing system is rough. Getting BOS as an FO is do-able. As a captain, Provincetown is somewhat junior, in the winter anyways, so that's a possibility for you to stay on cape.
FOs don't get bumped anymore. Changed right as I was leaving.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Just out of curiosity what are the main reasons that street captains fail the training?

During ground school or the actual checkride?

Some things were already mentioned by V1rotate but what are the other reasons?

And if they fail, does Cape alow them a retake or that's it and they let him go?

Last edited by F50driver; 06-29-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2016
Position: Front Seat

Originally Posted by F50driver View Post
Just out of curiosity what are the main reasons that street captains fail the training?

During ground school or the actual checkride?

Some things were already mentioned by V1rotate but what are the other reasons?

And if they fail, does Cape alow them a retake or that's it and they let him go?
Street captain candidates have bombed out in ground, training, and on the ride. There's lots of reasons. It's safe to say that not being instrument current hurt a number of captains in training. Cape has a pretty coarse screen for applicants as long as they met the minimum requirements. Also, not being able to get the flows down hurt others. Some just got frustrated at the pace of training and found other work.
Not being familiar with the Garmin GPS is a problem as well. Every trainer wants the same task completed in a different way.
Retakes have been allowed. I've seen captains that needed 40+ hours before they could do their ride. And then some of those guys became company check airmen.
The training is somehow thorough and sloppy at the same time.
I hope that helps.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by reservetank View Post
Street captain candidates have bombed out in ground, training, and on the ride. There's lots of reasons. It's safe to say that not being instrument current hurt a number of captains in training. Cape has a pretty coarse screen for applicants as long as they met the minimum requirements. Also, not being able to get the flows down hurt others. Some just got frustrated at the pace of training and found other work.
Not being familiar with the Garmin GPS is a problem as well. Every trainer wants the same task completed in a different way.
Retakes have been allowed. I've seen captains that needed 40+ hours before they could do their ride. And then some of those guys became company check airmen.
The training is somehow thorough and sloppy at the same time.
I hope that helps.
Thanks reserve tank,
Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by 1800RVR View Post
Well thanks. My plan doesn't quite sound like it will work. I don't have the ability to leave Cape Cod due to family dynamics, ie wife's great job, kids school, etc... I will have to just continue to march and hope another door opens for me.

Thanks to all for the replies.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:16 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Default Did you end up with Cape Air?

Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
Hello all, I'm seeking information about the first officer position with Cape Air.

My situation is this, I'm looking at this as a second career/retirement occupation. I live on Cape Cod and don't really have the desire to relocate to Montana or St. Louis, or anywhere else, if I can help it. And, I'm not looking to move up to a large regional/major. Basically, I'd like to fly locally.

I have read info on this forum about it but specifically I'd like to hear from those who started as FO's and were upgraded to CA. I'm wondering how long that transition generally takes. And, where were you based and how was that decided.

Truly appreciate any information provided.

-Hooper
Hi Hooper. Did you end up pursuing a FO position at Cape Air? I am about a 500 hour commercial pilot (54 years old) looking at exploring the same path. I live on Nantucket. Would love to hear more if you did - or if you didnt, what you ended up doing. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Does anyone know the details about the training contract?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by Rcordeiro122592 View Post
Does anyone know the details about the training contract?
+1

filler
Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Here is an article about Cape Air from Aero Crew News a free pilot hiring online magazine. You can click on this link to download and view. It's fairly recent (Feb 2017). Also you can view all previous monthly editions, lots of good info. Cape Air is one of the featured airlines in this edition.

February 2017 | Aero Crew News

Last edited by Boeing Aviator; 09-13-2017 at 11:34 AM.