Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ramp/Line Service Tech. to Right Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012
Default Ramp/Line Service Tech. to Right Seat

Hello everyone,

I'm getting closer to the "final" checkride, and also to the end of my apartment lease and I need to make a decision ASAP, since I need to find a new place, and a job.

My question is, what do you think about getting a job in a "small" company, as a ramp agent or line technician? would it make it easier later on to be hired as a pilot with them?

That's of course a plan B, and I'll start applying everywhere as a pilot. But I need to be planning in advance my next move!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm getting closer to the "final" checkride, and also to the end of my apartment lease and I need to make a decision ASAP, since I need to find a new place, and a job.

My question is, what do you think about getting a job in a "small" company, as a ramp agent or line technician? would it make it easier later on to be hired as a pilot with them?

That's of course a plan B, and I'll start applying everywhere as a pilot. But I need to be planning in advance my next move!
If by final checkride you mean CMEL or CSEL I wish you the best. It took me 8 months of sweat, tears and no compensation to get from wet CSEL to 270TT when I finally got picked up at a 135, and that was only because I worked as a dispatcher for them for a year and knew all the right people. It's a veritable no-man's-land between 250-500.

I'd recommend the CFI if you have the funds. Otherwise check out aerial survey or drop zones. Very few 91 and 135 gigs will bring you onboard before 500 unless you have good inside connections.
Good luck and godspeed. You need to get to 135 VFR mins (500TT) and move to Alaska or to a tour operator if you're not getting the call for a right seat gig and not a cfi.

There is no shortage at the 250-1200 level, Its the 1200-3000 level where employers are hungry for you. Then after 3000 you have your pick if you're good or you're at a good airline if you're lucky.
I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails here, but I was in your shoes 18 months ago, just be prepared for some resistance as the road is steep ahead.

Last edited by TimetoClimb; 08-09-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I followed the same route as Javicu. I was a dispatcher "flight follower" at a 135. Worked hard until I had my Comm, then got picked up for a ground the week I got my commercial. The opportunities are out there.

The one caution I have about that is that you should work at one while you are working on your certificates. I saw a few guys who got all their certificates, then ramped or dispatched for a while. While they were waiting for a ground school seat, their skills degraded because they weren't flying (and with that low of time, the skills go away fast), so when it came time to do the training/check ride, their skills had become so poor they couldn't even fly an approach, and was eventually let go by the company.

If you are coming up on that point, it my be better to get your instructor certificates and start teaching while you apply for the Part 135 jobs.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the advice guys. By the time I finish in a couple of weeks I'll have 400h TT.

CFI is not possible right now. I need to start making money or I'll die soon. That's why a full time job would help in the transition.

I can move anywhere, no kids or partner, so I travel light, which helps a lot.

Skills will suffer if I don't get hired soon after finishing but there's nothing I can do I guess, except some simulator.

My korean friend told me 'Alaska'. And I'd do it if they hire me. But moving there would be expensive.

Vegas and all the grand Canyon operators, they have ramp jobs all the time, and I lived in vegas 2 years.

It's complicated I know haha
Old 08-09-2016, 02:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: I pilot

Your Korean friend isn't really Korean... But he did eat Korean BBQ on Saturday.

Last edited by zondaracer; 08-09-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:19 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2015

If you could get a part time job with UA on the ramp that would be the way to go, they offer part time ( 4 hrs ) and you get flight benefits for you and immediate family, health benefits also you can pick up as many hours of work as needed then you can use your free time to peruse your CFI.

A friend of mine worked for UA as a mechanic he got all his licenses and ratings, including CFI then SkyWest hire him now is a UA FO in 37's.

I work for SW on the ramp at SFO, will be applying at SurfAir soon then back to SW by next summer, at lest that's the plan

Right now you have options on how to get the sweet 1500s hrs.

I forgot to add that at 500 hrs you could fly traffic watch here in the bay area, did that and logged in around 750 hrs in less than a year, the pay is not the best but that's why I suggested a part time with UA.

There are many options for you because you are able to move anywhere you want.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
If you could get a part time job with UA on the ramp that would be the way to go, they offer part time ( 4 hrs ) and you get flight benefits for you and immediate family, health benefits also you can pick up as many hours of work as needed then you can use your free time to peruse your CFI.

A friend of mine worked for UA as a mechanic he got all his licenses and ratings, including CFI then SkyWest hire him now is a UA FO in 37's.

I work for SW on the ramp at SFO, will be applying at SurfAir soon then back to SW by next summer, at lest that's the plan

Right now you have options on how to get the sweet 1500s hrs.

I forgot to add that at 500 hrs you could fly traffic watch here in the bay area, did that and logged in around 750 hrs in less than a year, the pay is not the best but that's why I suggested a part time with UA.

There are many options for you because you are able to move anywhere you want.

Sounds like you have a solid plan!. I'll do some research about that option as well. First I'm gonna do in 2 weeks is applying to they "famous" options like Boutique, Air Choice One, Mokulele, etc......maybe I get lucky
Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Just curious why there's aversion to getting CFI/CFII? it's mostly ground knowledge/ studying and not much flight training (typically 10-15 hours in the plane). Cfi/cfii was my cheapest rating and there are tons of jobs out there for CFIs right now.

No hate, just curious if it's about money, the time it takes, or the trouble?
Old 08-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Pony Express View Post
Just curious why there's aversion to getting CFI/CFII? it's mostly ground knowledge/ studying and not much flight training (typically 10-15 hours in the plane). Cfi/cfii was my cheapest rating and there are tons of jobs out there for CFIs right now.

No hate, just curious if it's about money, the time it takes, or the trouble?

Time is an issue for me right now, but I've always admitted that it's not about time/money, but more about respect for the students and potential pilots. I don't have passion or determination for teaching (not saying every single CFI does).

I went through all the maneuvers, as we all did, but can't say I enjoyed with the process. Sometimes I did, sometimes I did not (turbulence, too hot, whatever....) So if I'm able to sort things out and find a part 135 job.....that would be my first choice, hands down.

If after a couple of months I ain't lucky with my job search, then I'd start thinking about instructing and changing my mindset