Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

WheesUp/Gama

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: CH2T Worst plane ever
Default XOJet Vs WheelsUp

What are your thoughts? Pros vs cons for each? If you had to choose, which and why?
Old 03-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

I have talked to others that, like myself, have had difficulty getting past, uh, some of the folks that do the hiring there. It has nothing to do with qualifications or anything like that. When I started reading some of the earlier comments about "the three" and noticed a lot of favoritism, etc, etc. I talked to a captain at Newark one time that confirmed that that seemed to be normal operating practice there.
I would love to fly there but it isn't to be.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

In response to your question on XOJET V's WUP, it is easy for me as I have 6000 hrs in King Airs alone. I like the plane, they have great maintenance, pay is good, benefits are great, schedule could be a tad better but I can fly for another 6-7 years so I would prefer to be in something I can fly in my sleep.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by mrski View Post
I have talked to others that, like myself, have had difficulty getting past, uh, some of the folks that do the hiring there. It has nothing to do with qualifications or anything like that. When I started reading some of the earlier comments about "the three" and noticed a lot of favoritism, etc, etc. I talked to a captain at Newark one time that confirmed that that seemed to be normal operating practice there.
Just let me offer this. Quit smack talking it every chance you get and send your resume in weekly so it remains on the top of the pile. Personality and customer service focus are big here. Tweak your resume to emphasize these. Maybe that's the problem.

You're not neccessarily wrong on your gripes. I don't drink the Kool Aid here, but at least work here and gain some insight. You're complaining about the place before you even gain emplyment here.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by Aviatormar View Post
What are your thoughts? Pros vs cons for each? If you had to choose, which and why?
Gama 8&6 XO 8&6
FO Pay about the same I think.
Gama has free health insurance. That's a big bonus.
Gama has per diem. XO has a company card to spend on food I think?
Gama has KA and XL's XO has X's and 300's. I'd rather be in an XO plane if all else was equal. No one wants to do 6 legs in the NE in a KA in July.

Who knows. Up to the person. I give Gama the edge because of the health insurance. There are other issues, though. I don't work for XO, so I might be wrong on some of that info.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
Gama 8&6 XO 8&6
Gama has KA and XL's XO has X's and 300's. I'd rather be in an XO plane if all else was equal. No one wants to do 6 legs in the NE in a KA in July.

Who knows. Up to the person. I give Gama the edge because of the health insurance. There are other issues, though. I don't work for XO, so I might be wrong on some of that info.
Time for Gama/WU to add some bigger airplanes. It has the big membership base to do it. How about some used Sovereigns, CL300s or rebuilt Citation X Elites ( X Elite) - plenty on the market these days. I took a look at a WU XL on the ramp a few days ago - looked a bit tired and worn. WU is a huge success in terms of membership and aircraft growth - time to add some new horses to the stable.........
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: PIC

Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Time for Gama/WU to add some bigger airplanes. It has the big membership base to do it. How about some used Sovereigns, CL300s or rebuilt Citation X Elites ( X Elite) - plenty on the market these days. I took a look at a WU XL on the ramp a few days ago - looked a bit tired and worn. WU is a huge success in terms of membership and aircraft growth - time to add some new horses to the stable.........
I think right now they are focused on profitability with these two so they can IPO or sell to private equity. It's been about 5 years since they took investments, and the pressure is likely building to return some money to those people. Adding another fleet that would by necessity be small and unprofitable at the start delays this goal.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by mrski View Post
How do you expect to get hired when you constantly bash the very people who will be reading your resume? "The three" you talk of likely read these forums & the main guy that does the hiring used to be a police officer. I'm sure he could figure out who you are. Most likely he already has which is probably why you haven't got the call.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

How are things going at WU these days? I'm interested in the applying for a California based Captain position.

Where is the interview conducted? What can I expect during the interview?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Frieght Dog

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
Gama 8&6 XO 8&6

All the people I have spoken with at XO seem great and are generally happy with the the way things go over there. Mx is good. They have a reasonable fatigue policy. Seems like a fun place to work. But, the continuous continent crossing is too much of a long term health risk for me (medical lost 2x).
Plus, only 1 week vacay for the 1st 4 years seems a bit is too slim ( this is the biggest complaint I have heard from several I spoke with).

Anyone at Gama reading this: if you ware west coast based, do they mainly keep you on the WC? Also, is there any fatigue policy there if you they are running you super hard?