Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

WheesUp/Gama

Old 01-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Just need to remember, that repo legs are 91 and you cannot log SIC in them.
Most of the guys trained at Gama have "SIC REQUIRED" on their certificate. In this instance an SIC is required whether you're flying 91 or 135 so you most certainly can log it on the empty legs.

You could in theory log empty legs as PIC if you're typed in the aircraft and manipulating the controls.

For part 135 legs the person listed as the PIC on the trip sheet logs the PIC time.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

You can log whatever you want, just be able to back it up. Since almost every other leg is a repo, "part 91", positioning for a live leg, "part 135", no one is going to question the logging of SIC.
As far as logging PIC, the logging of PIC as sole manipulator is murky since every trip sheet has a crew listed as PIC and SIC. The PIC signs for the aircraft and is listed as such on all of the documents. In that case, it's hard to justify logging PIC as sole manipulator. Besides the fact that when a company such as a major airline asks about PIC flight time, most of them want time for which you have signed for the aircraft. Not everyone is hired as PIC, even though they have the full type. There's no legal requirement to log time beyond what you need for currency, but be able to back it up.
As far as actual 91 legs, the only thing that is 91 about them is that there are no passengers. The 135 regs for alternates, performance, etc are always to be followed.
Also, as was mentioned, anyone who didn't come in with a single-pilot type has an SIC required limitation on their Type rating in the B350.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
Most of the guys trained at Gama have "SIC REQUIRED" on their certificate. In this instance an SIC is required whether you're flying 91 or 135 so you most certainly can log it on the empty legs.

You could in theory log empty legs as PIC if you're typed in the aircraft and manipulating the controls.

For part 135 legs the person listed as the PIC on the trip sheet logs the PIC time.
Pure curiosity here, but what is the difference in training for a single pilot King Air 350 type and one with an "SIC required" limitation?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

There have been multiple arguments about this subject on numerous threads.
Some aircraft, such as the King Air 350 for example can be flown single pilot if the pilot has a single pilot type rating. For part 135 operations the operator must also have the autopilot in lieu of SIC opspec.
If they decide to hire some hour builder to swing gear and operate the radios, the logging of SIC time in this example would be invalid.

Gama does not have the autopilot in lieu of SIC opspec, therefore an SIC is a required crew member and the logging of SIC time is warranted.

The SIC required stipulation on the license (issued by the FAA) is another reason the SIC is mandatory. I have this limitation, so if I even attempted to taxi the aircraft single pilot, I could be violated and would likely lose my job.

I doubt any respectable operator would question the logging of SIC. As EMAW said, the person listed as PIC on the trip sheet logs the PIC time. The other guy logs SIC even if he is also a captain on the payroll.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by BrewCity View Post
Pure curiosity here, but what is the difference in training for a single pilot King Air 350 type and one with an "SIC required" limitation?
It used to be a lap around the pattern on your own to remove the limitation, but those days are long gone.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Yessir, in order for the limitation to be removed, you have to do a single pilot checkride to ATP/type rating standards.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:36 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2018

I know this has nothing to do w/payment, but what are the SIC hour mins. On the website, it doesn't say. Are they hiring at 250 TT w/ multi rating?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Wing Locker

Originally Posted by boozykuzzy View Post
I know this has nothing to do w/payment, but what are the SIC hour mins. On the website, it doesn't say. Are they hiring at 250 TT w/ multi rating?
Likely not that low. Insurance and Argus prevents that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 07:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by boozykuzzy View Post
No. Not sure the exact number, but it used to be in the 2500TT range and 500 multi PIC. Probably a little lower than that right now.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

I've submitted a resume for Wheels Up but have not heard anything yet. If I do ever get the call, how is quality of life at Gama? Looks like a good place