Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

WheesUp/Gama

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
What’s movement like from the KA to the XL? Will the arrival of the X speed things up much?
Guys that have put their time in on the King Air are being offered positions on the XL, which is good to see.

Staffing of the X is yet TBD.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
The details were released on an internal company memo which are considered confidential.

The main points were the introduction of a progressive pay scale which will be the same for both fleets and an improved travel home policy on day 8.
The memo said no such thing about day 8. I'm paraphrasing but the only info given about day 8 travel was pilots are needed to fly day 8 and we strive to get you home before midnight and we will try to do better going forward. Where was there mention of improvements on this practice going forward? I don't know about you but my day 8's have mostly been pretty frustrating with few exceptions
Old 01-05-2018, 02:34 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by SOTA View Post
It's actually 7 nights. Day 1 and Day 8 are supposed to be travel. You may also and likely will do some online flying on those days as well. If you return home later then 9 PM in the time zone you started you're paid OT
It’s return back to your "base" after midnight in the time zone you started you’re paid OT. Not home and not 9pm unless you meant 9 pm Pacific.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:39 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
What’s movement like from the KA to the XL? Will the arrival of the X speed things up much?
Me thinks very doubtful. The KA is the bread and butter and does the bulk of the flying. It’s the priority for staffing. There is movement to the XL, but there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of rhyme or reason.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by basesjuiced View Post
The memo said no such thing about day 8. I'm paraphrasing but the only info given about day 8 travel was pilots are needed to fly day 8 and we strive to get you home before midnight and we will try to do better going forward. Where was there mention of improvements on this practice going forward? I don't know about you but my day 8's have mostly been pretty frustrating with few exceptions
Read it again. Home by midnight in the time zone you started in or be paid a day overtime.
I.E. if your based on the West coast but started day 8 on the East coast you need to be home by 9pm West coast time. (Midnight East coast time.)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2017

I already have a BE-300 type rating with about 100 hours do I need to sign the training note?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Expat007 View Post
I already have a BE-300 type rating with about 100 hours do I need to sign the training note?
Yep. The reimbursement if you bail before one year will just be a reduced rate for the recurrent cost.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Read it again. Home by midnight in the time zone you started in or be paid a day overtime.
I.E. if your based on the West coast but started day 8 on the East coast you need to be home by 9pm West coast time. (Midnight East coast time.)
OK.. I got that part, I agree thats good for the west coast guys that have been getting screwed on day 8. For the rest its status quo for day 8 travel home practices, which was reiterated in the memo as “we try to get you home by midnight”. Just restating the obvious of what we already know if you ask me. Happy some things are headed in the right direction here but doesn’t seem like day 8 is one of them right now
Old 01-05-2018, 09:57 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Graybird View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Can you offer any insight to the quality of Life?
Typical 8 day tour, do they airline you to airplane from your base?
Or do you stay in proximity to your base?
Is this a commutable type operation? I.e. DAL based and live 200 miles east of DAL. I position myself to DAl for my 8 day tour?

Thanks
Quality of life isn't bad - could be much worse in my opinion. The work is easy, days can just get very long - could be a 14 hour duty day with a 10 hour rest period and only 1.2 flown between 2 or even 3 flights. Sitting around FBOs between flights is a very real possibility. Or like this past week, fly 22 legs in 8 days from coast to coast with very little sitting around. Changes daily which I prefer for the variety - especially in regards to where we fly. You could start in LAX and be on a strip of asphalt on the beach in San Felipe, MX and at the DoubleTree Houston Hobby by the end of the day.

As far as "commutable" - you could be based at DAL (or DFW) and it's your responsibility to get there. They will book you a flight from DAL (or DFW) to wherever they want you to start - or, if there is a plane there by chance, you'll just pick it up there and start your week. Just know that your time clock starts and ends at DAL - to note, if you are based at DAL, you will park at DAL and then Uber to DFW to fly out on their dime if need be. On day 8, they just strive to get you back there by midnight from where you started - which is a very nice change. Up until Jan 1 it was midnight at your base. I've spent upwards of 18+ hours trying to back home from the East coast pulling into the house at 0400 from where I started. That's probably the worst part of the job IMHO - but it's getting better.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2015

You can request to end your tour at a destination other than your base. If approved you are liable for the difference in cost.
I guess I worded my question wrong... I understand the above.

If I am Hired into one base, say ICT, can I later transfer my base, to PHX? or do they just have you name a home base when you are hired? Thanks.