Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   WheesUp/Gama (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/96589-wheesup-gama.html)

zephyerhills 08-12-2016 08:19 AM

WheesUp/Gama

There is no good way to communicate at WheelsUp/Gama. You have two managers for over 300 pilots. There is no way to hear everyone's issues or give them much attention.

Except for the occasional newsletter, we get no information about the company and if we get an email, it is only when it is bad news.

The feeling is to work until you are burnt out and leave, or just accept it.

That Guy 74 08-12-2016 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by zephyerhills (Post 2179057)
There is no good way to communicate at WheelsUp/Gama. You have two managers for over 300 pilots. There is no way to hear everyone's issues or give them much attention.

Except for the occasional newsletter, we get no information about the company and if we get an email, it is only when it is bad news.

The feeling is to work until you are burnt out and leave, or just accept it.

Fantastic. I don't think that by posting on here you're going to help make your place of employment better.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I know several pilots there and they have brought issues such as the original 6 on, 3 off schedule to their management's attention. One I know has written several letters about these sorts of things and though the changes didn't happen overnight, they did change.

Why not try bringing these problems to not only your two managers, but their bosses, and while you're at it recommend possible solutions.

As they say in the military, don't come to me with a problem unless you have possible solutions to that problem.

Good luck...there are much worse places to work in the 135 world.

Packrat 08-12-2016 01:54 PM

The one guy I know who works there loves it.

CargoPirate 08-12-2016 09:20 PM

Most (not all) of the guys that I know that worked there ended up disliking it and leaving. Including me.

Get your time and get out.

Panzon 08-13-2016 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by CargoPirate (Post 2179414)
Most (not all) of the guys that I know that worked there ended up disliking it and leaving. Including me.

What would you change?

B317 08-13-2016 04:22 AM

I've worked at Gama/Wheels Up for over 2 years (King Air and Citation) and still enjoy it. It's not perfect and I agree communications could improve. However, anytime I've had something important to talk to management about it's not been a problem. It's a fairly young operation that is growing fast that tries to constantly improve. Most of the pilots I come into contact with seem to enjoy working here.

David Puddy 08-13-2016 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by B317 (Post 2179453)
I've worked at Gama/Wheels Up for over 2 years (King Air and Citation) and still enjoy it. It's not perfect and I agree communications could improve. However, anytime I've had something important to talk to management about it's not been a problem. It's a fairly young operation that is growing fast that tries to constantly improve. Most of the pilots I come into contact with seem to enjoy working here.

Growth can be good and bad if the right processes aren't in place... How many more King Airs and Citations being added this year? Also, what about larger airframes like the Sovereign and X at some point? I am betting some of your passengers want nonstop transcon ability...

B317 08-13-2016 06:34 AM

It sounds like they are going to take another 5 or 6 King Air's by the end of the year. Hopefully 5 more XLS's also. We here rumors about larger aircraft and I expect if the management at Wheels Up is convinced their members want a larger/faster jet they'll add it to the inventory. During the 1st year we partnered with VistaJet to give the membership the option of a Global Express however it sounds like there was not enough of a demand to continue with it.

That Guy 74 08-13-2016 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by CargoPirate (Post 2179414)

Let's face it: you will never make at a 135 operation what you can at one of the hidden gem Part 91 golden corporate gigs or at a major airline.

Having said that, there are good/bad/ugly 135 operators. GAMA is one of the better ones, though NO operation is perfect.

I hope you found greener pastures elsewhere. By walking away, you certainly have made a statement to the management there, but like another poster stated when an operation grows as quickly as this one has there is bound to be growing pains.

Hopefully management takes appropriate action before they reach the point of unsustainability.

Starbucks 08-14-2016 06:14 PM

It's got it's problems and issues no doubt, but this place has come a looooong way in a short amount of time. I can certainly see the frustrations with a certain segment of the pilot group. But overall, not that bad now, guys. It's not exactly a cakewalk job here, but it could be a lot worse. And it was..