Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Choice One

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Anyone heard anything recently? Regarding hiring or class dates?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:32 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Default employment bonds

Originally Posted by flydiamond View Post
Most of the new FOs coming in have around 500 hours of experience, however 250-300 hour pilots have been hired in the past. The recruiter places great emphasis on recency of experience. Doing an IPC and earning an initial or add-on commercial ticket should help in that department. I will caution you that the recruiter is still telling applicants that they can expect 90 hours a month if so desired, but we are overstaffed and most FOs are flying at or under guarantee of 60 hours. Combine that fact with our long training contracts and there may be better options out there.
Often these companies that require two year bonds will provide poor training and compensation after you endorse an agreement. Should the employee complain, the company will terminate the employee and require repayment of the bond.
They use the bond to subsidisze their poor business model in an active environment. To be competitive in the industry, they underbid contracts and use the low employee compensation in order to compete in the industry with their poor business model.
In today's pilot market the growth is accelerating at an astronomical rate and demand is overwhelming for the poor business model.
As a new pilot in the market, one should never expect to stay in one position more than a year without substantial increases in compensation. As well, any bond should be pro-rated based on the employment term. Employers that require anything less are only trying to entrap a pilot to subsidize their poor business model.
It is not the pilot's fault the market is like this. Remember, if there were a pilot glut in the market, as there was in the past, most employers would be reducing compensation.
Don't sell yourself for less than your worth and don't allow a scumbag operator to entrap you.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: SnackBsktRaider

They reached out to me today about an interview that we set up. Im at right around 530 hours, commercial ASEL, instrument, and currently working on my multi.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

I passed the interview but 18 months contract is insulting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-13-2017, 12:34 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Javichu View Post
I passed the interview but 18 months contract is insulting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Planesense is 18 months too.

We have a pretty reasonable contract. 12 months, starting when you upgrade to PIC - so you know what you are getting into when you sign, and PIC pay is pretty good.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Right Seat

call me a noob, but are you supposed to send a cover letter when you send the resume?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:45 PM
In a land of unicorns

Originally Posted by Subieguy14 View Post
call me a noob, but are you supposed to send a cover letter when you send the resume?
Yes, always.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Right Seat

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Yes, always.
Just making sure... seen lots of people say you dont need one anymore and others say you do. thanks.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Planesense is 18 months too.

We have a pretty reasonable contract. 12 months, starting when you upgrade to PIC - so you know what you are getting into when you sign, and PIC pay is pretty good.
Why sign a contract ever? That throws up red flags
Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 PM
In a land of unicorns

Originally Posted by Subieguy14 View Post
Just making sure... seen lots of people say you dont need one anymore and others say you do. thanks.
Well, when you apply at a regional, you probably don't even need a resume. Just say "I have 1500 hours" and you'll get a job.

Every job application has 2 parts - cover letter to briefly introduce you, and a resume to show your qualifications.

When I did hiring on my previous career, applications w/o a cover letter went straight to the vertical archive.