Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Are 500h worth it?

Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012
Default Are 500h worth it?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a job (400ish hours) and no luck yet. I tried several companies nationwide, and only Mokulele emailed me saying thanks but no thanks. The rest not even that

Soooo here's my question. Should I in your opinion fly 50-60h till I hit the 500h mark? Will that improve my chances?

I know it's just 50h of difference, but Part 135 VFR would be an option.....insurance wise in other companies....I don't know!.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Up to a point which you are a long way from hitting, extra hours always helps. You need 500 for VFR 153, 1200 for IFR 135, 1500 for most regionals and several thousand to be competitive at the majors.

Keep putting out the resumes and update them every month or two as you build more time. Some places publish their actual mins, but many don't.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015

Not to discourage you, but I'm in exactly the same boat. 557 hours TT, 472PIC, 216 hours XC, instrument rated and current, high performance, and complex endorsements. No multi, no CFI, yet. I stalk ClimbTo350 everyday, I have applications into pretty much everywhere. Traffic watch. Pipeline. Survey. Alaska. Air Choice One. Boutique. Southern Airways Express. Surf Air. Mokulele. Planesense. Air Choice One interviewed me last week Tuesday. I haven't heard anything yet. A survey company said they'd call me with their VP to do a conference call phone interview. No call yet. I haven't heard anything from anyone else yet. Again, not to discourage you. But. I do agree that every single hour at this point in the game will help you. I do believe that the 500 hour mark is beneficial, but again, get every hour that you can.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by DiveAndDrive View Post
Not to discourage you, but I'm in exactly the same boat. 557 hours TT, 472PIC, 216 hours XC, instrument rated and current, high performance, and complex endorsements. No multi, no CFI, yet. I stalk ClimbTo350 everyday, I have applications into pretty much everywhere. Traffic watch. Pipeline. Survey. Alaska. Air Choice One. Boutique. Southern Airways Express. Surf Air. Mokulele. Planesense. Air Choice One interviewed me last week Tuesday. I haven't heard anything yet. A survey company said they'd call me with their VP to do a conference call phone interview. No call yet. I haven't heard anything from anyone else yet. Again, not to discourage you. But. I do agree that every single hour at this point in the game will help you. I do believe that the 500 hour mark is beneficial, but again, get every hour that you can.

I see, it sucks

So many 1200h/1500h jobs, bonuses, etc.....but it's so hard to get that first job, jeez.

Only "hope" I hope right now is making a visit to Alaska operators in Nome, Bethel and Kotzebue, with my Multi of course, otherwise it'd be a waste of time.

Right now my options are Alaska visit in a couple of weeks or CFI. Never liked the CFI option, will all due respect to all the CFIs out there.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Gulfstream Pilot

Keep your heads up; apply to every job your interested in, even if you don't meet the mins.

Survey sucks, but it will build the hours quickly. Landcare, Air America, call Pictometry International in Rochester, NY, tell them your a pilot and would like a contact list for their aviation vendors. It's about the time of year when guys wash out on the road.
Sling apps to Tradewind, Cape Air, Southern Airways Express. In this market, someone will sit you in the right seat until you have the hours.
Most all of us have been where y'all are. Keep throwing darts at the wall and one will stick.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015

I appreciate the words, Amphibian. I did apply to Tradewind as well. They replied saying they specifically require 900 hours TT. But other than that, I agree. I have applied for everything I legally qualify for.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:41 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Look into Air Cargo Carriers out of MKE. They have bases in the Midwest and east coast. I started with them about 2 years ago with 900 hours. They put me right in the PIC check ride and flew left seat with a cap until I got 1200 then sent me to a new base to act as PIC. A couple guys in my class had 300-500 hours fresh out of ATP. Multi turbine time is hard to find with that low of hours so it's a nice gig if your tired of instructing or want to skip that. It's night shift work and most runs you have to load 1200-5000 pounds by hand but hey. Gotta start somewhere.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Oh I agree. Like my korean friend says, choose your poison. A first job is a first job, ain't gonna be fancy.
I come from construction, and before that I was loading trucks in Germany haha, so bring it on. A flying job where you load your cargo? I'll take it
Old 11-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Aerial Survey is good. There are many companies out there besides picto-vendors where you can work full time. good luck. I just got my first job at 408tt
Old 11-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

I have to chuckle every time I read these types of posts.

To be fair, I don't see in this thread guys saying "I have 500 hours now give me a damn job!" as I've heard in the past...but you guys really have it good compared to us dinosaurs that were in your shoes 20-30 years ago.

Take whatever job you can get to build time and experience, and if you have multiple offers you can be a little picky. Be willing to move...maybe several times...to get to that next level. CFI, banner tow, bush flying, survey, whatever you can get. If you're not willing to move to where the jobs are, your progress in the early part of your career will most likely be extremely slow or non existent.