Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

135: Ask your Company to furlough vs. fire

Old 03-22-2020, 07:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Exclamation 135: Ask your Company to furlough vs. fire

135 Pilots,

During these times of crisis, it is important to ask if your Company has a FURLOUGH Policy... In the past, some companies did not have a written furlough policy and made some bad calls in a pinch, Terminating their pilots with extreme callousness versus giving them a furlough letter as is understood and accepted in this industry.

Why does this matter, you ask? Because words mattter. When terminated 91/91K/135 pilots applied for a job in the old days, they got to explain to a real person WHY they were terminated and not furloughed. With today’s online application processes and application filtering, you may never get past the filter to explain to a real person why you were terminated. Part 121 recruiting departments understand furloughs because they have them unfortunately all the time in this industry, but when they see a termination, they assume that it was for cause. They can filter for anything: Accident/Incident, DWI/DUI, Felony, Misdemeanors, Terminations, GED/H. S. Diploma, 2 Year Degree, 4 Year Degree, etc.

I am sure that your corporate offices have an state-mandated fire escape map hanging on the wall: Make sure that they have a plan for when the shiznit hits the fan... Otherwise, bad decisions can be made when they are grasping at straws in a pinch and make a split-second bad decision that hurts your career.

Good luck to everyone during these uncertain times.

Note: I posted a similar, but slightly different thread in the Fractional forum.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

I have no idea directly how it’s interpreted by the airlines. But most company rarely used the word fired anymore as we are in the land of massive law suites. Released or “let go” have replaced the phrase “Fired”. Recently airlines have been rephrasing what they are saying to candidates the do not want. “We are not interested in you”. The new phrase is “ we are moving forward with other more qualified candidates. Giving them more wiggle room. I’d say use sound judgement in the future if you know you were release because the company was about to go under financially but in your Chief Pilots eyes you were a good employee. I would put laid off and have a letter of recommendation from your supervisor at the company as evidence of your status prior to leaving.

unfortunately I was in a role as a Chief Pilot where financial situation rendered terminations. I immediately wrote all pilots a prefabricated letter stating.

To Who it may concern

Pilot XXX was released today from XXX due to circumstance beyond his control. I found XXX to be one of the best pilot I have sat with in a cockpit. Very professional and high experienced and pro SOP. Yada yada yada. ..........

Please contact me for with any questions or concerns.

C.P. Xxx
123-456-7890

[email protected]

Last edited by LLWS09R; 03-22-2020 at 11:12 AM.