Adding Aircraft to Existing Part 135

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Adding Aircraft to Existing Part 135

Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Default Adding Aircraft to Existing Part 135

I'm working on a school project and was wondering how partnering with an existing Part 135 operator by adding my own airplane onto their certificate works exactly. I know that technically the airplane must be operated under their operational control. However, is it possible for my company to, in addition to owning the airplane, employ the pilots (who would be "controlled" by the Part 135 operator in that they're trained by them and fly under their ops specs), and contract out the maintenance (performed, of course, to Part 135 specifications)?

Additionally, how would I actually go about seeking such a partnership? I.e., what's the best way to reach out to Part 135 operators about this?

What's the typical cost associated with this-- would I pay them per trip I take, per plane I add on their certificate, per pilot I employ and they train, etc. and how much?

Thanks so much, any insight would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Yes, you can bring your own pilots. They will have to train under the Part 135's training program, and abide by Part 135 rules when operating under Part 135. I believe you can contract out the maintenance to any facility with DOT drug testing, but ultimately, the Part 135 operator as to make the decision, but I'm not exactly sure how that works. Chapter 9 should answer your maintenance questions: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...%20120-16F.pdf

Generally, you have to pay a set fee to start, absorb all of the training, maintenance, and operating expenses, and you get a percentage of the revenue after these expenses are taken out. I believe the standard is a 80/20 split between the owner and the Part 135 operator.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
Yes, you can bring your own pilots. They will have to train under the Part 135's training program, and abide by Part 135 rules when operating under Part 135. I believe you can contract out the maintenance to any facility with DOT drug testing, but ultimately, the Part 135 operator as to make the decision, but I'm not exactly sure how that works. Chapter 9 should answer your maintenance questions: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...%20120-16F.pdf

Generally, you have to pay a set fee to start, absorb all of the training, maintenance, and operating expenses, and you get a percentage of the revenue after these expenses are taken out. I believe the standard is a 80/20 split between the owner and the Part 135 operator.
Thank you! Do you know what a ballpark estimate would be as to how much it costs to train each pilot under a typical Part 135 operator's training program? Also, does that split assume that I'm bringing my own clients, simply using their Part 135 certificate to operate?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Mitra View Post
Thank you! Do you know what a ballpark estimate would be as to how much it costs to train each pilot under a typical Part 135 operator's training program? Also, does that split assume that I'm bringing my own clients, simply using their Part 135 certificate to operate?
It depends on the type rating, and if they are already typed. Most smaller jets and bigger turboprops initial types are around 15-20k. If they're already typed, they'd need a recurrent, which is about half. If you have a Gulfstream or Global, those types can be north of 50k.

Like anything, it is all negotiable. That split assumes that the owner will fly it for XXXX/hour, and the aircraft will be chartered for XXXX/hour. Some owners will turn down a lot of charters, some will have them chartered as much as possible. It depends on a ton of factors. If you had more specifics, I could maybe help.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
It depends on the type rating, and if they are already typed. Most smaller jets and bigger turboprops initial types are around 15-20k. If they're already typed, they'd need a recurrent, which is about half. If you have a Gulfstream or Global, those types can be north of 50k.

Like anything, it is all negotiable. That split assumes that the owner will fly it for XXXX/hour, and the aircraft will be chartered for XXXX/hour. Some owners will turn down a lot of charters, some will have them chartered as much as possible. It depends on a ton of factors. If you had more specifics, I could maybe help.
This project assumes very small aircraft, i.e. single engine prop, think Piper Cherokee Six. I'm assuming the training would be cheaper for such a small airplane, especially if they're already typed. Would I have to seek out a Part 135 operator with similar aircraft, or would it be reasonable to seek out any Part 135 operator, even if their fleet is all turboprop or jet? Do they need to be based out of the same area as me?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:34 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Here is how it works. Part 135 is very strict. The pilot is a 1099 contractor. Basically a couple of days in ground school learning part 135 and company manual and do a check ride similar to any IFR ride you have done and as long as you have 135 min hrs. The plane is another thing altogether. At our company we stick to 1 type as adding a new aircraft is an exhausting experience at the Feds. A single needs a fully coupled gpsss auto pilot, back up vacuum, back up alternater and a few min gauges etc. the engine has a 12 year cycle, meaning it need to be replaced or rebuilt regardless of hours every 12 years. Also the prop and governor only has a 6 year cycle. After you add the aircraft, you have no say in how it is operated. You will fly as an employee and basically you might operate at break even on the plane if you lucky.