Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Liv2soar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Bermuda Triangle
Posts: 66
Default Two Senator's kick Sean Menke in the teeth!!

It's pretty pathetic when not one, but TWO, Senators SCOLDS the CEO of a regional airline for taking a 60% payraise amidst filing for bankruptcy. What a "kick in the teeth" for Sean Menke. ALPA needs to setup a picket line in front of One Commerce Square with signs that read "Sean Menke is an GUTLESS PIECE OF $H1T" and invite Senator Charles Schumer and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand to attend the event.

Bankrupt Pinnacle should rethink big raises for execs, lawmakers say - Flight 3407 - The Buffalo News

Quote:
Bankrupt Pinnacle should rethink big raises for execs, lawmakers say
Updated: April 4, 2012, 10:54 PM

WASHINGTON -- The Buffalo area's three House members and New York's two senators Wednesday urged Pinnacle Airlines executives to rethink the big raises they recently received in light of revelations that the bankrupt airline is struggling to pay its pilots.

"It is reprehensible and unconscionable that your company would shortchange its pilots, who are critical to the safety of the flying public, while approving hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra payment for its corporate officers," the lawmakers said in a letter to John G. Spanjers, senior vice president and chief operating officer at Pinnacle.

"On behalf of our constituents, we ask that Pinnacle executives, including yourself, reconsider the propriety of accepting generous raises while pilots in your employ are waiting to be paid," the lawmakers added.

The Buffalo News reported Wednesday that Pinnacle -- which owns Colgan Air, operator of Continental Connection Flight 3407, which crashed in Clarence Center in 2009 -- was struggling to pay its pilots. Low pilot pay was one of the issues that was raised in the investigation of the crash, which claimed 50 lives.

Despite the pay problems -- which the company blamed largely on a new software system -- Pinnacle last month boosted the annual salary of CEO Sean E. Menke from $425,000 to $675,000. Spanjers, meanwhile, got a raise from $275,000 to $400,000.

Pinnacle said those raises came in conjunction with new duties stemming from the departure of other executives and the company's efforts to reorganize. Those efforts culminated in a bankruptcy filing Sunday, less than two weeks after the raises were announced.

Local lawmakers didn't think very much of the raises at Pinnacle.
"The tragedy of Flight 3407, right in the heart of my district, highlights the dangers of underpaid and overworked pilots, and it's unconscionable for their corporate officers to receive hundreds of thousands of dollars in pay increases right before declaring bankruptcy," said Rep. Kathleen C. Hochul, D-Amherst.
Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y, agreed. He made reference to the fact that in addition to the raises for Pinnacle's top executives, departing CEO Philip H. Trenary left the company with a $1.7 million consulting deal.
"These latest facts are appalling, and Pinnacle needs to reset their priorities immediately," Schumer said. "Instead of providing golden parachutes for retiring CEOs, Pinnacle should make sure its pilots are paid a decent wage on time and that they put passenger safety above personal perks."

Sen. Kirsten E. Gillibrand, D-N.Y., also signed the letter to Pinnacle, as did Reps. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, and Louise M. Slaughter, D-Fairport.
[email protected]null
Sure is nice to know that some of our elected leaders in our goverment are actually standing up to corporate goons like Sean Menke. What a loser he is.
Liv2soar is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #2  
Gets Off to Weekends
 
Jamers's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: A320 FO
Posts: 648
Default

I hope this gets into the national spotlight.
Jamers is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captain152's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,252
Default

Hate to say it, but it won't change anything. Wish it would!
captain152 is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #4  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Liv2soar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Bermuda Triangle
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain152 View Post
Hate to say it, but it won't change anything. Wish it would!

Actually it just might. If there's enough bad publicity of the CEO, then the shareholders can put enough pressure on the Board of Directors to oust him.

IMHO, he is already on his way out. He has done nothing constructive to benefit the financial well being of Pinnacle. He was unsuccessful with the labor group concessions, unsuccessful with renogotiations of business partner contracts and has taken the stock from $6.00 to 60 cents in a short period of a few months.

An airline with dark clouds on the horizons needs innovation, creativity and leadership that everyone can fall in line behind. Sean Menke has NONE of that. What he has done, is anger employees to the point of no return as to which you can expect to see a reduction in labor costs through bankruptcy, but an increase in operating expenses as the employee's are now unified in their new mantra of "I don't give a crap" attitude towards running an efficient and streamlined operation. This will result in an exit from bankruptcy with a Cost per Available Seat Mile actually INCREASING! Just wait and see. It's happening now as APU useage has skyrocketed overnight, two engine taxis are the norm, and maintenance writeups at outstations are now becoming the norm. He has single handedly butchered an airline by making ALL the wrong moves.

The Supreme Captain of Pinnacle, Sean Menke, has just hit an iceberg and is the first one to bail into a lifeboat. He is drunk, and needs to be restrained to prevent causing even more damage.
Liv2soar is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FAULTPUSH's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2008
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2soar View Post
... but an increase in operating expenses as the employee's are now unified in their new mantra of "I don't give a crap" attitude towards running an efficient and streamlined operation. This will result in an exit from bankruptcy with a Cost per Available Seat Mile actually INCREASING! Just wait and see. It's happening now as APU useage has skyrocketed overnight, two engine taxis are the norm, and maintenance writeups at outstations are now becoming the norm. .
That'll help you avoid court-forced pay cuts.
FAULTPUSH is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #6  
Line Holder
 
Tampa 2's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: SF-340 FO
Posts: 31
Default

Hopefully CNN, FOX & other national media will pick up the story and expose these clowns for what they are......
Tampa 2 is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Beaver Hunter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2007
Posts: 278
Default

Faultpush

You just don't get it. Employee pay is not the problem. Mangers crap on you and I cause they can. Enough
Beaver Hunter is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
sinsilvia666's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Posts: 604
Default

i agree this in the spotlight would be great
sinsilvia666 is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #9  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Posts: 7
Default

.................................................. ......

Last edited by ghost401; 04-04-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: not constructive or useful
ghost401 is offline  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Noseeums's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2soar View Post
Actually it just might. If there's enough bad publicity of the CEO, then the shareholders can put enough pressure on the Board of Directors to oust him.

IMHO, he is already on his way out. He has done nothing constructive to benefit the financial well being of Pinnacle. He was unsuccessful with the labor group concessions, unsuccessful with renogotiations of business partner contracts and has taken the stock from $6.00 to 60 cents in a short period of a few months.

An airline with dark clouds on the horizons needs innovation, creativity and leadership that everyone can fall in line behind. Sean Menke has NONE of that. What he has done, is anger employees to the point of no return as to which you can expect to see a reduction in labor costs through bankruptcy, but an increase in operating expenses as the employee's are now unified in their new mantra of "I don't give a crap" attitude towards running an efficient and streamlined operation. This will result in an exit from bankruptcy with a Cost per Available Seat Mile actually INCREASING! Just wait and see. It's happening now as APU useage has skyrocketed overnight, two engine taxis are the norm, and maintenance writeups at outstations are now becoming the norm. He has single handedly butchered an airline by making ALL the wrong moves.

The Supreme Captain of Pinnacle, Sean Menke, has just hit an iceberg and is the first one to bail into a lifeboat. He is drunk, and needs to be restrained to prevent causing even more damage.
Ah, the ramblings and empty convictions of an uninformed airline pilot.
Noseeums is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9E Corporate employees outraged at Sean Menke Liv2soar Regional 78 03-30-2012 11:13 AM
Sean Menke Group on Facebook??? flapshalfspeed Regional 13 12-26-2011 09:18 AM
Senators act to stop airline carryon charges GunshipGuy Hangar Talk 44 04-19-2010 05:48 AM
Frontier F9 chicken Frontier 23 01-21-2008 10:52 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:13 AM.