Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2020, 04:24 AM   #541  
On Reserve
 
CJPilot1's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 10
Default

Whatís the outlook for IAH as a new hire FO? How about fresh CA? I know ORD is not realistic so Iím trying to see about IAH.
CJPilot1 is offline  
Old 02-03-2020, 06:54 AM   #542  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Longhornmaniac8's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2017
Position: Austin, TX
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPilot1 View Post
Whatís the outlook for IAH as a new hire FO? How about fresh CA? I know ORD is not realistic so Iím trying to see about IAH.
There are people closing in on 18 months from date of hire still on reserve in IAH. It's not moving at all. Just about every FO who can upgrade seems to be waiting until they can hold IAH as a captain before upgrading, but there aren't any vacancies on that side, either.

It's extremely stagnant, and that doesn't seem like it's going to change any time soon. UA is using four 175 carriers in IAH now (again), and they don't seem interested in helping us grow the base. That's not to say it's necessarily shrinking (every month people have left have been replaced by the same number of people, so it's not getting smaller, at least staffing-wise), but it's just stagnant. The last three monthly vacancy bids have seen exactly zero vacancies in IAH on either side, in a time when increasingly every other base has vacancies. MCI is the only other one that seems to have a similar level of stagnation.

To put it into perspective, I live within driving distance of Houston and I'm bidding out of IAH next month to a different base. I am able to hold a line in every other base we have, but only intermittently get a line in IAH. Having a line in a different base with lots of commutable trips is preferable to me then being within a 3 hour drive and intermittently being reserve.

Bottom line: Republic is a great place to work, but if you live west of the Mississippi expect to have to commute. If there are options out there that don't require a (longer) commute, I'd definitely look at those, too.
Longhornmaniac8 is offline  
Old 02-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #543  
On Reserve
 
CJPilot1's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2020
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornmaniac8 View Post
There are people closing in on 18 months from date of hire still on reserve in IAH. It's not moving at all. Just about every FO who can upgrade seems to be waiting until they can hold IAH as a captain before upgrading, but there aren't any vacancies on that side, either.

It's extremely stagnant, and that doesn't seem like it's going to change any time soon. UA is using four 175 carriers in IAH now (again), and they don't seem interested in helping us grow the base. That's not to say it's necessarily shrinking (every month people have left have been replaced by the same number of people, so it's not getting smaller, at least staffing-wise), but it's just stagnant. The last three monthly vacancy bids have seen exactly zero vacancies in IAH on either side, in a time when increasingly every other base has vacancies. MCI is the only other one that seems to have a similar level of stagnation.

To put it into perspective, I live within driving distance of Houston and I'm bidding out of IAH next month to a different base. I am able to hold a line in every other base we have, but only intermittently get a line in IAH. Having a line in a different base with lots of commutable trips is preferable to me then being within a 3 hour drive and intermittently being reserve.

Bottom line: Republic is a great place to work, but if you live west of the Mississippi expect to have to commute. If there are options out there that don't require a (longer) commute, I'd definitely look at those, too.
Thank you so much for your reply! Iím living in Phoenix and really set on not moving.... but I donít really like my options in PHX if you catch my drift. So trying to see what my options would be for commuting.
CJPilot1 is offline  
Old 02-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #544  
Gets Weekends Off
 
LoneStar32's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 241
Default

Pretty sure Republic regrets opening a base in IAH. They expected to get some more flying from UA, instead they sht all over the quality and on time performance Republic brings to go for the cheapest contract. One thing is for sure, it will not grow. Wouldn't be surprised if Republic shuts it down as soon as it is contractually able to.
LoneStar32 is online now  
Old 02-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #545  
Line Holder
 
metalfeather's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2014
Posts: 40
Default Phx commuter here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPilot1 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply! Iím living in Phoenix and really set on not moving.... but I donít really like my options in PHX if you catch my drift. So trying to see what my options would be for commuting.
IAH is too stagnant to make sense for a phx commuter. MCI is similar, easy commute but slow moving seniority.

ORD is okay on the FO side, but the UA/AA flights are always full with commuters left behind.

BOS, DCA or EWR make lots of sense. It's a long commute but holding a line means more days off and less time in the crash pad. More flight time too.

IND, SDF, CMH, PIT are okayish for a west coast commuter. Plan on commuting in the day before, spending the night after the trip in the pad.
metalfeather is offline  
Old 02-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #546  
Gets Weekends Off
 
deftone's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2013
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornmaniac8 View Post
There are people closing in on 18 months from date of hire still on reserve in IAH. It's not moving at all. Just about every FO who can upgrade seems to be waiting until they can hold IAH as a captain before upgrading, but there aren't any vacancies on that side, either.

It's extremely stagnant, and that doesn't seem like it's going to change any time soon. UA is using four 175 carriers in IAH now (again), and they don't seem interested in helping us grow the base. That's not to say it's necessarily shrinking (every month people have left have been replaced by the same number of people, so it's not getting smaller, at least staffing-wise), but it's just stagnant. The last three monthly vacancy bids have seen exactly zero vacancies in IAH on either side, in a time when increasingly every other base has vacancies. MCI is the only other one that seems to have a similar level of stagnation.

To put it into perspective, I live within driving distance of Houston and I'm bidding out of IAH next month to a different base. I am able to hold a line in every other base we have, but only intermittently get a line in IAH. Having a line in a different base with lots of commutable trips is preferable to me then being within a 3 hour drive and intermittently being reserve.

Bottom line: Republic is a great place to work, but if you live west of the Mississippi expect to have to commute. If there are options out there that don't require a (longer) commute, I'd definitely look at those, too.
Man that blows, I was looking forward to leaving Indy and moving home to Houston. My wife is on my ass about these Midwest winters!
deftone is offline  
Old 02-04-2020, 04:53 AM   #547  
Gets Weekends Off
 
BravoTango's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 164
Default First Officer BASE DROPS- Initial and Monthly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPilot1 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply! Iím living in Phoenix and really set on not moving.... but I donít really like my options in PHX if you catch my drift. So trying to see what my options would be for commuting.


So as much as I love RAH Skywest isnít an option? For those in either IAH or PHX?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BravoTango is offline  
Old 02-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #548  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SoFloFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 689
Default

Just curious, but anyone know if thereís MIA flights going into any other RAH bases? PIT? LGA? Anything? Just trying to get a sense for what life would be like once Iím commuting out of MIA until I can hold it.
SoFloFlyer is offline  
Old 02-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #549  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Jungle Jim's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Position: Non-standard Phraseology Curator
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer View Post
Just curious, but anyone know if thereís MIA flights going into any other RAH bases? PIT? LGA? Anything? Just trying to get a sense for what life would be like once Iím commuting out of MIA until I can hold it.
We usually operate the first flight of the day MIA-LGA (and the 10am return), currently all MIA-SDF, and some MIA-PIT/IND/IAH/MCI. Changes like the seasons, though. Keep in mind Delta operates plenty of MIA-LGA frequencies on mainline, and I've batted about .900 on dozens of tries with them. AA...not so much.
Jungle Jim is offline  
Old 02-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #550  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SoFloFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Posts: 689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
We usually operate the first flight of the day MIA-LGA (and the 10am return), currently all MIA-SDF, and some MIA-PIT/IND/IAH/MCI. Changes like the seasons, though. Keep in mind Delta operates plenty of MIA-LGA frequencies on mainline, and I've batted about .900 on dozens of tries with them. AA...not so much.
Thanks for the response. Thatís good info. Just trying to see my options out of MIA
SoFloFlyer is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta? Guard Dude Delta 198944 03-26-2020 03:13 PM
ICED Clearedtopush Delta 241 07-27-2016 06:10 PM
Delta Pilots Association TheManager Major 9584 07-28-2015 12:15 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:09 AM.