Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Safety Accidents, suggestions on improving safety, etc
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2011
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky8888 View Post
This is how to properly do a crosswind landing...

Great video. Pretty significant crab angle as it rolled out.

I wonder how many runway lights were wiped out by that parachute. Looks like it got at least one near the end of the video.
Panzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:25 AM   #12
Moderate Moderator
Thread Starter
 
UAL T38 Phlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Uncertain; Negative RNP
Posts: 3,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech Dude View Post
As in, weight on wheels. I've seen a few accident investigation show nerdery, read NTSB reports, etc. and seen this weirdness of Buses reducing control inputs upon WoW. Now, I am not a Bus guy. But from what the video shows, it's "all is well", then the FO (I kid) plants the right main, with about 10 degrees of crab and 1000 fpm descent, then it just gets ugly. Is this flight control reduction really a thing? Bus guys, I'm looking for some insight. If I ever had my Super cub tell me I couldn't put full aileron deflection in, who knows all the ground loop stories I'd have.
All was NOT well....this guy had a significant drift going on at time of touchdown. He had not transitioned to "wing low," and the fuselage and gear trucks were still pointed right. When the gear bit, it went in the direction it was pointed. Coupled with the preceding right drift, he saw himself headed for the weeds at an alarming rate. Everything that followed was an overreaction to it.

Been a long time since I flew the Bus, but from what I remember: direct law happens at either 15 or 50 ft. It can make it a little challenging to de-crab, but not impossible.

The 320 could be landed wing low; I'm assuming the 380 can too, although there may be limited allowable bank to prevent dragging an engine (limit was 7 degrees in the 747).

WoW does NOT lock out your ability to maintain crosswind controls....you can maintain them throughout rollout (or takeoff, for that matter).

My guess is Emirates has a "max automation; min hand-flying" policy. Now: find yourself where the crosswind exceeds autoland limits, and practice your hand-flown piloting skills for the first time in a long time, under the most challenging conditions....

QED
UAL T38 Phlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #13
On Reserve
 
Beech Dude's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: LockheedLeft
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
All was NOT well....this guy had a significant drift going on at time of touchdown. He had not transitioned to "wing low," and the fuselage and gear trucks were still pointed right. When the gear bit, it went in the direction it was pointed. Coupled with the preceding right drift, he saw himself headed for the weeds at an alarming rate. Everything that followed was an overreaction to it.

Been a long time since I flew the Bus, but from what I remember: direct law happens at either 15 or 50 ft. It can make it a little challenging to de-crab, but not impossible.

The 320 could be landed wing low; I'm assuming the 380 can too, although there may be limited allowable bank to prevent dragging an engine (limit was 7 degrees in the 747).

WoW does NOT lock out your ability to maintain crosswind controls....you can maintain them throughout rollout (or takeoff, for that matter).

My guess is Emirates has a "max automation; min hand-flying" policy. Now: find yourself where the crosswind exceeds autoland limits, and practice your hand-flown piloting skills for the first time in a long time, under the most challenging conditions....

QED
Thanks for the insight on the Bus. If that tail wasn't bent before, it sure is now
Beech Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
Gets Weekends Off
 
Lucky8888's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2013
Position: CEO
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzon View Post
Great video. Pretty significant crab angle as it rolled out.
It helps to have steerable landing gear.
Lucky8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #15
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,526
Default

Just to clarify, there is no Direct Law on landing unless you had failures and were degraded. It's Normal Law - Flare Mode which happens at below 100 ft AGL. Below 50 ft, it'll memorize your pitch attitude and then do a slight nose down input which then gives you the feeling you have to pull back for a traditional flare technique. You do have direct deflection for elevator, but it doesn't mean you're in Direct Law.
ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #16
Moderate Moderator
Thread Starter
 
UAL T38 Phlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Uncertain; Negative RNP
Posts: 3,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Just to clarify, there is no Direct Law on landing unless you had failures and were degraded. It's Normal Law - Flare Mode which happens at below 100 ft AGL. Below 50 ft, it'll memorize your pitch attitude and then do a slight nose down input which then gives you the feeling you have to pull back for a traditional flare technique. You do have direct deflection for elevator, but it doesn't mean you're in Direct Law.

Thanks...been a while.

Question: doesn't roll change as well? IE, in Normal Law, stick deflection gives a roll RATE....I thought that changed in Flare mode so you could apply cross-controls a la conventional aircraft.
UAL T38 Phlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #17
Gets Weekends Off
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 777F FO
Posts: 2,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
Thanks...been a while.

Question: doesn't roll change as well? IE, in Normal Law, stick deflection gives a roll RATE....I thought that changed in Flare mode so you could apply cross-controls a la conventional aircraft.
I don't remember that being the case. I believe we had to kind of "pulse" the aileron input to drop the wing and avoid a continuous roll RATE upwind. But, it's been a while for me too.
Adlerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #18
Gets Every Day Off
 
tomgoodman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Posts: 3,599
Default

OK, I am a dinosaur, but phooey on any airplane which gives me the control responses which a nerd in Toulouse has deemed to be in my best interests, instead of the ones I ordered.
tomgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #19
Prime Minister
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: RJ
Posts: 17,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
Thanks...been a while.

Question: doesn't roll change as well? IE, in Normal Law, stick deflection gives a roll RATE....I thought that changed in Flare mode so you could apply cross-controls a la conventional aircraft.
No, it's pure roll rate only thing that changes in the flare is pitch. But if you put it at a bank bangle it will stay there. For the 320 anyway, know nothing about 380 although I assume it has to be very similar.
rickair7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #20
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Posts: 39
Default

330 normal law, stick deflection gives you roll rate until weight on wheels. So for crosswind landing, rudder only to de-crab and then once you touch down you have to use stick deflection to hold aileron into the wind.
Southbay is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
121 Turboprob Landing Limitations Mattio Aviation Law 3 11-08-2010 08:37 PM
Citation 550 lands with no fuel, no landing gear!!! robbreid Corporate 18 01-17-2009 02:13 AM
Emirates to 'Review options' on A380 JMT21 Major 11 10-05-2006 01:06 PM
Fedex and UPS A380 Freighter Flea Bite Cargo 34 07-12-2006 04:21 PM
A380 in Emirates colors LAfrequentflyer Hangar Talk 5 11-23-2005 08:19 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:25 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.3, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc.