Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #871  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Flightcap's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 915
Default

What you're saying is "should Boeing be considered at fault if they designed an aircraft that tries to crash itself if one sensor is taken out by a seagull?"

Think about that.

Based on your post history it sounds like you're trying to make any imaginable argument that exonerates Boeing. But the argument you've just made is exactly the opposite. Airliners strike birds all the time. It's a known hazard of aviation. The idea that an airliner that could go into "I'm going to kill myself and everyone on board if you don't do something RIGHT NOW" from losing one data sensor due to a birdstrike is absurd. If that is indeed what happened it fully justifies the 737 Max grounding.
Flightcap is offline  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #872  
Line Holder
 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2019
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
What you're saying is "should Boeing be considered at fault if they designed an aircraft that tries to crash itself if one sensor is taken out by a seagull?"

Think about that.

Based on your post history it sounds like you're trying to make any imaginable argument that exonerates Boeing. But the argument you've just made is exactly the opposite. Airliners strike birds all the time. It's a known hazard of aviation. The idea that an airliner that could go into "I'm going to kill myself and everyone on board if you don't do something RIGHT NOW" from losing one data sensor due to a birdstrike is absurd. If that is indeed what happened it fully justifies the 737 Max grounding.
Not if the crews shut it off, and then reversed it, I don’t see how Boeing is at fault. I think the truth will come out as the media has fueled this entire storm with misinformation
Firefighter is offline  
Old 08-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #873  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Flightcap's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Not if the crews shut it off, and then reversed it, I don’t see how Boeing is at fault. I think the truth will come out as the media has fueled this entire storm with misinformation
If you want to have a real conversation on this you should sell your Boeing stock. You would be able to address this situation from a neutral position. Your judgment is currently clouded by a financial interest and it shows.

Yes, the crew made mistakes in both crashes. I completely agree with that analysis. But that doesn't mean Boeing gets a pass. There are so many decisions coming to light that are at best stupid and at worst unethical. Outsourcing software to $9 engineers. Failing to apply QC and basic design principles to a safety critical system. Abusing self-certification procedures. Attempting to scissor-and-glue a new engine onto an air frame that really can't accommodate it rather than going with a clean sheet design.

Boeing will recover. They will fix the MAX and it will fly safely for many years. But ultimately all of this exposes the company as being blatantly profit-minded over safety. There needs to be a mentality shift and, like every problem, the first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging that it exists.
Flightcap is offline  
Old 08-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #874  
Moderate Moderator
 
UAL T38 Phlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: N91.00W181.00
Posts: 4,881
Default

Solid analysis. Spot-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
If you want to have a real conversation on this you should sell your Boeing stock. You would be able to address this situation from a neutral position. Your judgment is currently clouded by a financial interest and it shows.

Yes, the crew made mistakes in both crashes. I completely agree with that analysis. But that doesn't mean Boeing gets a pass. There are so many decisions coming to light that are at best stupid and at worst unethical. Outsourcing software to $9 engineers. Failing to apply QC and basic design principles to a safety critical system. Abusing self-certification procedures. Attempting to scissor-and-glue a new engine onto an air frame that really can't accommodate it rather than going with a clean sheet design.

Boeing will recover. They will fix the MAX and it will fly safely for many years. But ultimately all of this exposes the company as being blatantly profit-minded over safety. There needs to be a mentality shift and, like every problem, the first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging that it exists.
UAL T38 Phlyer is offline  
Old 09-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #875  
Line Holder
 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2019
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
If you want to have a real conversation on this you should sell your Boeing stock. You would be able to address this situation from a neutral position. Your judgment is currently clouded by a financial interest and it shows.

Yes, the crew made mistakes in both crashes. I completely agree with that analysis. But that doesn't mean Boeing gets a pass. There are so many decisions coming to light that are at best stupid and at worst unethical. Outsourcing software to $9 engineers. Failing to apply QC and basic design principles to a safety critical system. Abusing self-certification procedures. Attempting to scissor-and-glue a new engine onto an air frame that really can't accommodate it rather than going with a clean sheet design.

Boeing will recover. They will fix the MAX and it will fly safely for many years. But ultimately all of this exposes the company as being blatantly profit-minded over safety. There needs to be a mentality shift and, like every problem, the first step in fixing a problem is acknowledging that it exists.

Except I never said anything like that. The entire reason of why I came here is to find out the truth. So in a way, you could say it was financially, but that also means I was ready to drop my position if I felt like I was invested in the wrong company. I think your statement applies to someone who didn’t care, and just bought more shares as it dropped.

All I did was seek the truth from credible people, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I learned the media has twisted and lied about everything. It’s very misleading and they’re clearly doing it for their own gain. Essentially their own financial interest which involves lying to get it. But sure, what I’m doing is oh so horrible...

I never denied any problem, I’m well aware of what Boeing did. In fact, they’re fixing it the last time I checked. But regardless, I’ve learned that the problem is not what the media is making it out to be. And I’m pretty sure Boeing has been in India for awhile now.....and certainly $9 an hour is far more beneficial for India as their minimum wage is equivalent to $140 a month. So I don’t think it’s “unsafe” to “outsource” in a country that’s going to have the third largest market for aviation in a few years
Firefighter is offline  
Old 12-23-2019, 06:33 AM   #876  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 25,786
Default Boeing Board Fires Muilenburg

Inevitable I presume, but I think they're really get worried to can him in the middle of the recovery effort....


https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1YR1FL
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 01-14-2020, 05:42 AM   #877  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Texasbound's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2019
Posts: 105
Default

https://www.aerotime.aero/clement.ch...rbus-dismissed

Funny how this came out last fall and no one noticed.

So Air France gets to put profit before safety and just blame the pilots....

Quote:
The main association of relatives of victims, “Association entraide et solidarité vol AF447”, will appeal a judgment "that insults the memory of victims", ​​told its lawyer Alain Jakubowicz. The association had already contested the decision of the Public Prosecutor’s office, stating that no trial “can only comfort Airbus in a feeling of impunity harmful to the safety of all”.
Texasbound is offline  
Old 03-13-2020, 12:33 AM   #878  
Line Holder
 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2019
Posts: 49
Default

I just seen the interim report for ET302 and I have no ****ing clue what I just read. How much different is this from the preliminary report?

Is the ECAA making a carefully crafted summary to put the pilots in the best possible light?

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...ml#document/p1
Firefighter is offline  
Old 03-14-2020, 03:25 AM   #879  
Gets Weekends Off
 
727C47's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: C47 PIC/747-400 SIC
Posts: 1,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I just seen the interim report for ET302 and I have no ****ing clue what I just read. How much different is this from the preliminary report?

Is the ECAA making a carefully crafted summary to put the pilots in the best possible light?

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...ml#document/p1
right, even though those AA check airmen ended up vertical the first time they tried to replicate it in the sim even though they knew what was coming....
727C47 is offline  
Old 03-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #880  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ShyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: French Bus Capn'
Posts: 7,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
right, even though those AA check airmen ended up vertical the first time they tried to replicate it in the sim even though they knew what was coming....


This “report” blames Boeing only. Boeing did not send that airplane screaming out of control with power at max takeoff with a 200 hr FO who turned the trim wheel the wrong direction.
ShyGuy is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethiopian Airlines: 787 Boosted Profits vagabond Foreign 10 10-10-2013 04:49 AM
Russian Jet crash kills 88 ToiletDuck Safety 5 08-08-2012 09:04 PM
Kenya Airways 737 airliner crashes vagabond Hangar Talk 2 05-05-2007 06:23 PM
737 crash near Athens LAfrequentflyer Hangar Talk 1 09-07-2005 11:34 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:20 AM.