Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
SonicFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,185
Post Boeing's "mgmt revolution" created MAX disast

An interesting opinion piece:


https://newrepublic.com/article/1549...=pocket-newtab
SonicFlyer is offline  
Old 09-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2018
Posts: 642
Default

"and indeed, much of the software on the MAX had been engineered by recent grads of Indian software-coding academies making as little as $9 an hour,"
ChecklistMonkey is offline  
Old 09-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 915
Default

The US has entered into the age of post-capitalism. Where innovation, quality, and safety have all been replaced, eroded by greed. Profits drive everything. The problem is that it can work for most other industries because you can buy some politicians and just keep trucking along, but it canít work in aviation. The margin of error is much smaller than in other business.

You can see the same happening with these god awful GTF engines that have been rushed to market, squeezed to the breaking point, now all the cost savings from these engines have been wiped out for the foreseeable future.
Xtreme87 is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 12:12 AM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: French Bus Capn'
Posts: 6,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecklistMonkey View Post
"and indeed, much of the software on the MAX had been engineered by recent grads of Indian software-coding academies making as little as $9 an hour,"
I like how that has taken off in America like "OMG! Underpaid engineers at $9/hr."


Meanwhile, in India, that salary is on the higher end for an software engineers when converted to ruppees, and above what 99.99% of what the average Indian make.

$9/hr is $1560/month which in Indian Rupees is 110,535 rupees/month. I'm not saying these guys were overpaid, nor am I saying they don't deserve higher pay. Just keep in mind, they made in 1 month what the average Indian makes in 1 yr.

"Financial Year 2015-2016. India's per capita income (nominal) was $1670 per year in 2016, ranked at 112th out of 164 countries by the World Bank"
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #5  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme87 View Post
The US has entered into the age of post-capitalism. Where innovation, quality, and safety have all been replaced, eroded by greed. Profits drive everything. The problem is that it can work for most other industries because you can buy some politicians and just keep trucking along, but it canít work in aviation. The margin of error is much smaller than in other business.

You can see the same happening with these god awful GTF engines that have been rushed to market, squeezed to the breaking point, now all the cost savings from these engines have been wiped out for the foreseeable future.
Some top business leaders have recognized this, and the pendulum may be swinging back a bit.
rickair7777 is online now  
Old 09-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #6  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Meanwhile, in India, that salary is on the higher end for an software engineers when converted to ruppees, and above what 99.99% of what the average Indian make.
Bad comparison. The "average indian" lives in third world rural poverty. But there are still hundreds of millions of Indians who have education and economic opportunities resembling ours.

With India (and a few other countries) you kind of have to consider the modest-sized middle-class separately from the vast poverty class.
rickair7777 is online now  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: French Bus Capn'
Posts: 6,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Bad comparison. The "average indian" lives in third world rural poverty. But there are still hundreds of millions of Indians who have education and economic opportunities resembling ours.

With India (and a few other countries) you kind of have to consider the modest-sized middle-class separately from the vast poverty class.
The $9/hr headline just sounds like a juicy tidbit for the media to headline. Even compared among software engineers, itís a competitive salary for that country.
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slaphappy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Posts: 1,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme87 View Post
The US has entered into the age of post-capitalism. Where innovation, quality, and safety have all been replaced, eroded by greed. Profits drive everything. The problem is that it can work for most other industries because you can buy some politicians and just keep trucking along, but it canít work in aviation. The margin of error is much smaller than in other business.

You can see the same happening with these god awful GTF engines that have been rushed to market, squeezed to the breaking point, now all the cost savings from these engines have been wiped out for the foreseeable future.
That's incorrect, we are seeing capitalism working as intended. Boeing is not wanting to compete and its causing them to fail. Capitalism is why Airbus is kicking Boeing's ass and it's why Boeing's mediocre products are failing.
Slaphappy is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer
Posts: 850
Default

^^^ Comparing Boeing to Airbus is apples to oranges. Boeing is not owned or run by the Federal Government.
PerfInit is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
SonicFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfInit View Post
^^^ Comparing Boeing to Airbus is apples to oranges. Boeing is not owned or run by the Federal Government.
Not directly, but they get a ton of subsidies and contracts from the US federal government.
SonicFlyer is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAA Poised to Say Pilots Donít Need MAX SIM docav8tor Safety 7 08-18-2019 04:04 PM
The Roots of Boeingís 737 Max Crisis... docav8tor Safety 6 08-02-2019 07:58 AM
Southwest Adds Boeing MAX in $17.6 Billion Or threeighteen Southwest 48 12-15-2011 08:29 AM
Need help from Pinnacle and Skywest pilots... essw Regional 7 06-27-2009 12:00 PM
Boeing's Secret Weapon? Cargo Plane Sales Sasquatch Cargo 3 12-30-2006 06:40 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:29 PM.