Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Safety (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/safety/)
-   -   Rain causes A220 Engine Failure (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/safety/130985-rain-causes-a220-engine-failure.html)

AirBear 09-08-2020 06:35 PM

Rain causes A220 Engine Failure
 
Canada has put out an AD over an issue where rain leaks into the avionics bay and has caused engine shutdowns and other problems:

https://simpleflying.com/airbus-a220...gine-shutdown/

rickair7777 09-08-2020 10:26 PM

Can't really blame them, they don't have liquid rain up there... too cold. IIRC the CRJ had a similar issue, they had to move a relay or a bus so it wouldn't lose all AC power in the rain.

Now as to why the CRJ had the worst cold-soak gremlins of any plane I've ever flown...

TransWorld 09-09-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickair7777 (Post 3124626)
Now as to why the CRJ had the worst cold-soak gremlins of any plane I've ever flown...

In cold weather, truckers leave their diesel rigs running when the go in to eat. Should the CRJ be the same?🤪

TiredSoul 09-09-2020 08:46 AM

Nothing like coffee over the center pedestal.

rickair7777 09-09-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransWorld (Post 3124793)
In cold weather, truckers leave their diesel rigs running when the go in to eat. Should the CRJ be the same?🤪


Actually... yes, it's designed to have the APU run all night unattended, although I don't think any US operators actually did that.

AirBear 09-09-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickair7777 (Post 3125192)
Actually... yes, it's designed to have the APU run all night unattended, although I don't think any US operators actually did that.

The CRJ APU would auto-shutdown for a fire warning. But at Mesa we weren't allowed to leave the jet unattended with the APU running. Landing at CLT in heavy rain and mod turbulence we got an airspeed spilt of about 20 KIAS. Survey said it was the F/O's speed that was in error so I did the landing. Called MX and they said no write up, that was normal in heavy rain :eek:

TransWorld 09-09-2020 09:32 PM

I think the Wright Brothers had the same problem in rain. And they never got it fixed. 🤪

galaxy flyer 09-10-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirBear (Post 3125511)
The CRJ APU would auto-shutdown for a fire warning. But at Mesa we weren't allowed to leave the jet unattended with the APU running. Landing at CLT in heavy rain and mod turbulence we got an airspeed spilt of about 20 KIAS. Survey said it was the F/O's speed that was in error so I did the landing. Called MX and they said no write up, that was normal in heavy rain :eek:

While I never flew the CRJ, Iím pretty certain splits due to rain are not normal. Flew Challengers and Globals in heavy rain, never a split.

UAL T38 Phlyer 09-10-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredSoul (Post 3124876)
Nothing like coffee over the center pedestal.

Fate is the hunter! Good flick.

hydrostream 09-10-2020 05:36 PM

Thatís funny, I thought TS was referring to the A350s.

https://www.businessinsider.com/airb...edesign-2020-9


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:50 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands