Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Safety (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/safety/)
-   -   737-400 cargo jet emergency landing in ocean (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/safety/134279-737-400-cargo-jet-emergency-landing-ocean.html)

rickair7777 07-02-2021 09:28 AM


Originally Posted by captive apple (Post 3258081)
I don’t know, I’m in favor of the emergency aircraft getting to finish their transmissions.
Glad they made it.


Originally Posted by Av8tr1 (Post 3258088)
Right???? WTH? Sounded like she kept cutting 810 off before they finished the call.

No kidding. Wouldn't want to be married to her.

rickair7777 07-02-2021 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes (Post 3258028)
Sometimes cargo flights also carry a loadmaster. Hope those were the only two people on board.

Fortunately they reported two souls to ATC.

Smooth at FL450 07-02-2021 10:16 AM


Originally Posted by Av8tr1 (Post 3258088)
Right???? WTH? Sounded like she kept cutting 810 off before they finished the call.

maybe it was because she saw them turning right into Rhodes 809 who was on a visual approach for 4R? 1 controller handling multiple frequencies…

galaxy flyer 07-02-2021 11:30 AM


Originally Posted by Smooth at FL450 (Post 3258121)
maybe it was because she saw them turning right into Rhodes 809 who was on a visual approach for 4R? 1 controller handling multiple frequencies…

I’m trying to figure how two pilots who fly in/out of PHNL repeatedly, cannot figure out where the airport they just took off is NOW, 3 minutes later. It didn’t move.

AirBear 07-02-2021 11:35 AM


Originally Posted by JohnnyBekkestad (Post 3258091)
something tells me this has to do with some kind of fuel starvation. No fuel, leak or contamination.

They told ATC they had 2 hours of fuel onboard. This was a 46 yr old jet so who knows. The 737's are operated by Rhoades Aviation d/b/a Transair. They had 5 of them.

nightsky2 07-02-2021 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by galaxy flyer (Post 3258159)
I’m trying to figure how two pilots who fly in/out of PHNL repeatedly, cannot figure out where the airport they just took off is NOW, 3 minutes later. It didn’t move.

I've been flying in and out of HNL for years. There are times when the clouds move in below and although the airport itself is reporting VMC you can't see it. Frequently at night it can be as simple as the angle you're trying to see it from. IAW everybody else can see it but you.

ugleeual 07-02-2021 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by nightsky2 (Post 3258171)
I've been flying in and out of HNL for years. There are times when the clouds move in below and although the airport itself is reporting VMC you can't see it. Frequently at night it can be as simple as the angle you're trying to see it from. IAW everybody else can see it but you.

exactly what I think… cloud layer below them… couldn’t see other than the two mountain ranges poking through. What eva the case… the pilots sounded pretty calm considering the gravity of the problem.

TiredSoul 07-02-2021 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by galaxy flyer (Post 3258159)
I’m trying to figure how two pilots who fly in/out of PHNL repeatedly, cannot figure out where the airport they just took off is NOW, 3 minutes later. It didn’t move.

Your mind going 1000 miles an hour, your gut realizing today might be the day you don’t go home….you may not be able to pick it out among the sea of lights.

Duckdude 07-02-2021 01:05 PM

I’m going to stick up for the controller here. She was working Honolulu Approach, Departure, Tower, and Ground on more than one frequency. She was coordinating with the airport fire department and the coast guard. She wasn’t perfect, but I think she handled a very stressful situation quite well.

AirBear 07-02-2021 01:48 PM

Interview with the Coast Guard Helicopter Pilots who rescued the 737 pilots. One of them mentioned they saw fuel in the water so it's not sounding like fuel exhaustion. The 2nd link is part 2 where they interview the Flight Mech and Rescue Swimmer:

https://youtu.be/z7s-yxH2xHQ

https://youtu.be/nZJPRAkyIRw


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:06 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands