Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Safety (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/safety/)
-   -   737-400 cargo jet emergency landing in ocean (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/safety/134279-737-400-cargo-jet-emergency-landing-ocean.html)

Duckdude 07-03-2021 05:00 AM


Originally Posted by ugleeual (Post 3258379)
glad everyone made it out ok.

Iím not sure that critical condition and serious condition are really OK. Hopefully they both pull through.

ugleeual 07-03-2021 06:06 AM


Originally Posted by Duckdude (Post 3258441)
Iím not sure that critical condition and serious condition are really OK. Hopefully they both pull through.

better than the alternative

TheBum 07-03-2021 07:35 AM


Originally Posted by 501D22G (Post 3258362)
My post was 100% sarcasm.

It could be in 15,000 ft of water, luckily it's not. Still gonna be a bear.

Also, I'm sure the airplane was a highly polished turd. The only people flying -200s should be 3rd-world s##tholes, and even they manage to put brand new metal in the dirt.



I saw in a local article the exact location is approx 150ft deepÖ not sure if that is accurate or not but it was quoted several times.

Rama 07-03-2021 09:39 AM

NTSB is sending a crew of 10. They appear to be taking it very seriously as they should as a dual engine failure on a transport category jet is unheard of.
It was obviously an old aircraft, but if this happened on a pax plane the outcome would have been much worse.
Kudos to the Coast Guard for saving the crew.

TiredSoul 07-03-2021 09:44 AM

How many pax planes out there still run JT8ís?
In places that we vaguely care about?

rickair7777 07-03-2021 10:35 AM


Originally Posted by TheBum (Post 3258497)
I saw in a local article the exact location is approx 150ft deepÖ not sure if that is accurate or not but it was quoted several times.

That's a far less technical dive, run of the mill commercial/salvage ops.

rickair7777 07-03-2021 10:45 AM


Originally Posted by Rama (Post 3258581)
NTSB is sending a crew of 10. They appear to be taking it very seriously as they should as a dual engine failure on a transport category jet is unheard of.
It was obviously an old aircraft, but if this happened on a pax plane the outcome would have been much worse.
Kudos to the Coast Guard for saving the crew.

Could have been dual failure due to an issue which affected both motors... that would be significant but also pretty darn rare. Birds (Sully) or something like that BA triple at LHR.

Could also be that the "good" motor was tired and they inadvertently cooked it when they added thrust to compensate for the first failure. The timeline hints at that possibility.

I just don't think they could have run out of gas that quickly. Although an RJ a few years back managed to TO with just enough gas to get to the flight levels. They caught it barely in time, diverted, landed and may have flamed out on the taxi in.

rickair7777 07-03-2021 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by Duckdude (Post 3258441)
Iím not sure that critical condition and serious condition are really OK. Hopefully they both pull through.

Hoping. But since they both managed to exit the aircraft and hold on to floating stuff for a while I'm guessing they'll survive since they got to the hospital pretty quickly (that matters, a lot).

WacoQCF 07-03-2021 12:38 PM

I can tell you the crash site is not zoned off to vessels. I Captain a charter boat, and transited the area today looking for any sign of the location/depth. Nada.

If its 150í an advanced diver can hit it for a few minutes with no decompression required.

rickair7777 07-03-2021 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by WacoQCF (Post 3258653)
I can tell you the crash site is not zoned off to vessels. I Captain a charter boat, and transited the area today looking for any sign of the location/depth. Nada.

If its 150’ an advanced diver can hit it for a few minutes with no decompression required.

For something like this, commercial divers would use mixed gas. You could get about 10 minutes no-D with mixed gas... using professional tables. So still probably going to be a surface-supplied op.

I don't think you'd catch me going to 150' on air and coming back up without a stop... even though the mil tables probably say you can, barely.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:04 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands