Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Safety
737-400 cargo jet emergency landing in ocean >

737-400 cargo jet emergency landing in ocean

Notices
Safety Accidents, suggestions on improving safety, etc

737-400 cargo jet emergency landing in ocean

Old 07-03-2021, 03:26 PM
  #51  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 4,760
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Could have been dual failure due to an issue which affected both motors... that would be significant but also pretty darn rare. Birds (Sully) or something like that BA triple at LHR.

Could also be that the "good" motor was tired and they inadvertently cooked it when they added thrust to compensate for the first failure. The timeline hints at that possibility.

I just don't think they could have run out of gas that quickly. Although an RJ a few years back managed to TO with just enough gas to get to the flight levels. They caught barely in time, diverted, landed and may have flamed out on the taxi in.
Speculation only and posted elsewhere—DEF contaminated jet fuel.
galaxy flyer is online now  
Old 07-03-2021, 05:56 PM
  #52  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RI830's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: BD-700
Posts: 1,663
Default

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Speculation only and posted elsewhere—DEF contaminated jet fuel.
Absolutely a possibility…..could have been fueled with 100LL to.
If they were able to get them lit but failed or ran so hot.

That Falcon Tri-Motor out of OPF lost two by the time they turned final and the third was limping.
Scary stuff!!
RI830 is offline  
Old 07-03-2021, 07:25 PM
  #53  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 30,818
Default

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Speculation only and posted elsewhere—DEF contaminated jet fuel.
There's been a rash of that lately, but at HNL? Big 121 airports normally have a centralized fuel co-op... all the Jet A comes from the same tanks and trucks. Any diesel (for ground vehicles) will kept very, very segregated.

I think DEF is more of a GA issue.


Originally Posted by RI830 View Post
Absolutely a possibility…..could have been fueled with 100LL to.
Also probably not happening at HNL. Also hard to mistake a 737 for a bonanza.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 07-03-2021, 08:30 PM
  #54  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RI830's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: BD-700
Posts: 1,663
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
There's been a rash of that lately, but at HNL? Big 121 airports normally have a centralized fuel co-op... all the Jet A comes from the same tanks and trucks. Any diesel (for ground vehicles) will kept very, very segregated.

I think DEF is more of a GA issue.




Also probably not happening at HNL. Also hard to mistake a 737 for a bonanza.
Large airports do have centralized Jet A when your park at the terminals or well developed cargo ramps.
They may not park at one and there for fuel via trucks.

Ever heard of filling a fuel truck with the wrong fuel?
Its happened before.
RI830 is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 05:48 AM
  #55  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 30,818
Default

Originally Posted by RI830 View Post
Large airports do have centralized Jet A when your park at the terminals or well developed cargo ramps.
They may not park at one and there for fuel via trucks.

Ever heard of filling a fuel truck with the wrong fuel?
Its happened before.
The trucks at big airports are also part of the central system, same fuel, same SOP. Airlines ensure their fuel system has better standards then the one at the GA FBO.


Unless you hired an off airport service, which would need an access agreement, and pay taxes and fees.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 06:22 AM
  #56  
Gets Weekends Off
 
gringo's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Under the Frog
Posts: 1,097
Default

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Speculation only and posted elsewhere—DEF contaminated jet fuel.
So why haven’t there been more dual engine flameouts that day out of that airport? Was that bird the only one to fuel up before taking off?
gringo is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 06:25 AM
  #57  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 4,760
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
The trucks at big airports are also part of the central system, same fuel, same SOP. Airlines ensure their fuel system has better standards then the one at the GA FBO.


Unless you hired an off airport service, which would need an access agreement, and pay taxes and fees.
Having burned Jet in about 70 countries, from rickety Russian trucks with fueler smoking to hydrants in Asia and in the Congo; I’d like see evidence fuel is segregated for airline use vs. GA use. The cargo ramp at HNL is next to the FBOscand I’ve seen the same trucks used on both ramps, depending on the contract. Signature and Castle & Cook are right next door to each other and the cargo ramp.
galaxy flyer is online now  
Old 07-04-2021, 07:10 AM
  #58  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Posts: 110
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
For something like this, commercial divers would use mixed gas. You could get about 10 minutes no-D with mixed gas... using professional tables. So still probably going to be a surface-supplied op.

I don't think you'd catch me going to 150' on air and coming back up without a stop... even though the mil tables probably say you can, barely.

I have done several 160’ dives on air; no deco. We have a popular dive spot at 150. Absolutely if Doug salvage recovery they will use more technical dive techniques. Fortunately Pearl Harbor is not lacking for any type of ROV’s, DSRV, or hardhat divers.

Running that area yesterday in the charter boat the delta will be from 250 fathoms to 40 fathoms - the shelf is right on the reported area.
WacoQCF is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 08:17 AM
  #59  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 30,818
Default

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Having burned Jet in about 70 countries, from rickety Russian trucks with fueler smoking to hydrants in Asia and in the Congo; I’d like see evidence fuel is segregated for airline use vs. GA use. The cargo ramp at HNL is next to the FBOscand I’ve seen the same trucks used on both ramps, depending on the contract. Signature and Castle & Cook are right next door to each other and the cargo ramp.
Everybody on a big 121 field normally gets their jet A from the co-op. That normally includes the high end FBOs. You'd have to go to a lot of trouble to arrange outside jet A, and it would probably cost more due to not having storage facilities on site, plus the access fees.

That's how big airports generally work, no law says HNL has to do it they way but why would they not?

If they didn't launch from a major 121 field, sure it might be plausible... but there's a reason that kind of thing doesn't happen to pax airlines.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 07-04-2021, 08:38 AM
  #60  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,439
Default

Was the incident aircraft, due to COVID, parked for an extended period of time? When was the last time the tanks were dumped?
captjns is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iceman49
Safety
2
07-01-2014 07:02 PM
RealityCheck
Safety
70
08-18-2013 04:04 PM
IFLY22
Aviation Law
10
10-26-2011 01:43 PM
ryane946
Cargo
12
02-14-2006 09:13 AM
fireman0174
Major
1
02-08-2006 11:50 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread