What to study prior to regionals?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
[QUOTE=AuxPumplow;2303729]What? You're crazy. You should ABSOLUTELY read the Turbine Pilots manual if you have no experience with jets, turbine, or larger high performance aircraft. It's one of the best primers to read and it's simple to understand. Plus it explains basic airline things you'll wanna know (ie what's a duty rig).

Not really. Nobody interviewing at a regional should care what a duty rig is until indoc... focus on the basics, to include instrument procedures, approach mins, approach plates, and airport signage. They'll teach you the rest once you get past the interview.
[QUOTE=SideFlare;2303740]
Quote: What? You're crazy. You should ABSOLUTELY read the Turbine Pilots manual if you have no experience with jets, turbine, or larger high performance aircraft. It's one of the best primers to read and it's simple to understand. Plus it explains basic airline things you'll wanna know (ie what's a duty rig).

Not really. Nobody interviewing at a regional should care what a duty rig is until indoc... focus on the basics, to include instrument procedures, approach mins, approach plates, and airport signage. They'll teach you the rest once you get past the interview.
I don't think he means exclusively the interview. I think he means in general, what should he learn. And yes, he should know fundamental airline things. There's plenty of other things to be learned in ground.
Is it advisable to limit the knowledge for 121, 117, etc. to what is required for the ATP written and wait until the airline trains you?
I guess I want to know what the transition is like when you start training at a regional as some of this stuff is a bit confusing.

Thanks!
Quote: Is it advisable to limit the knowledge for 121, 117, etc. to what is required for the ATP written and wait until the airline trains you?
I guess I want to know what the transition is like when you start training at a regional as some of this stuff is a bit confusing.

Thanks!
You are going to have an FOM that's particular for your airline (procedures, policies, rules, regs). Usually you get about a week or so for that during indoctrination.
You wanna know fundamental things. How jet engines work, basic electrical systems knowledge, and of course instrument procedures.

If you know Absolutely nothing about aircraft more complex than a Cessna 172 (turbines, electrical, pressurization, hydraulics), or have weak instrument skills you're gonna struggle.
Quote: You are going to have an FOM that's particular for your airline (procedures, policies, rules, regs). Usually you get about a week or so for that during indoctrination.
You wanna know fundamental things. How jet engines work, basic electrical systems knowledge, and of course instrument procedures.

If you know Absolutely nothing about aircraft more complex than a Cessna 172 (turbines, electrical, pressurization, hydraulics), or have weak instrument skills you're gonna struggle.
Thank you!
I would suggest reading Turbine Pilot Flight Manual (or whatever it's called), also really brush up on weather-they love to ask that stuff in interviews (make sure you can read metars/TAFs/notams), other than that basic IFR questions on the interviews, try to find a buddy that's been in the airline world and practice reading approach plates to him/go over SIDs and STARs...that's really it for most of the interviews. Also it might be a good time to reflect on past experiences you've had since you started flying...the good, bad, ugly, and emergency situations you've had. Write them down. They will ask. Good luck. Don't beat yourself up too much the interviews aren't too difficult
Do you have ATP mins and a pulse? This is what you need to have to pass the interview.
The interviewer is not likely to ask you about turbine engines or ERJ systems if your only prior experience has been Cessnas. But they might ask you to explain the electrical system of a C172 or something related to what you are already flying.
Umm I guess how to use Skype?
Quote: The interviewer is not likely to ask you about turbine engines or ERJ systems if your only prior experience has been Cessnas. But they might ask you to explain the electrical system of a C172 or something related to what you are already flying.
Unless you are interviewing st Skywest However, then brush up on your turbine knowledge or have a basic understanding.... most airlines are just making sure you can pass an IR oral and a few other basics.

Please don't try and teach yourself 117, you'll just get confused and learn something wrong. Laws of primacy people, don't try and come in here be a turbine instructor or salty airline pilot.
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to