Safety vests on the walkaround

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Hang one in the jetway by the exit door. I love flying to international places that require it but no one provides you one.

"You can't go out there without a vest!"

"Ok, cancel the flight."

They normally find you one quickly.

It's an ICAO thing.
Omni Air International - issue yellow ones to each pilot - have to wear it at commercial and military airports
Quote: I haven't done a walk around yet, but I'm 99% sure I'll have to at Spirit
Yes sir. Required at Spirit per FOM 9.2.3. Actually the FOM says always required intl. and required domestically when available. I think I've seen one plane on one flight in 2.5 years that didn't have one in the closet, so essentially Spirit always requires them.
Quote: AA pilots have to carry them around?

Sounds dumb. Why not just have one in the plane.
Same reason we carried the MELs while every other airline kept the MEL in the airplane.

Makes too much sense to stock the plane with one...

Thanks 4 all the replies. I hate wearing it but, if I get injured and am NOT wearing the vest, there goes IOD coverage..
Hey, why sacrifice style to maintain safety? Just replace the bullion lace on the jacket and epaulettes with reflective tape. High visibility and sex appeal all in one.
Spirit wears the both domestically and international. It's required to wear by our FOM.
Quote: An AA pilot got run over by catering/baggage during the walk around and sued.
One person sh*ts his pants and we all have to wear diapers.

Quote: Required at London Heathrow.... Britain has become a society of near total government dependance by it's people. They have very near regulated out any and all personal responsibility creating an all encompassing need for government service, guidance and regulation in any and all things.
Having lived in the UK for almost 10 years, I can tell you the vast majority of the "Health and Safety" regulations are driven by the EU. Not that the UK is harmless in all of this, it's just that the EU has put their already risk-averse nature onto steroids...

I could recite numerous stories of ridiculousness, all in the name of H&S.

Quote: I think some cargo pilots use them.
Quote: I love flying to international places that require it but no one provides you one.
...It's an ICAO thing.
See EU note above...
Disregard.
We have a distinguished history of reflective garments.

Stripe 'em up
Lets make it official...epaulettes on those reflective vests!
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to