Any "Latest & Greatest" about Alaska?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 9
Go to
We do have a new chief pilot. Usually the chiefs have some hand in the hiring practice. I've heard the silver bullet program, or something similar is under review. I've never heard the policy that if you have an LOR your interview will come eventually. But, I'll also admit I'm not that in tuned to the hiring process. I think these days an LOR just makes your app legit--without one, you're a long shot (or no shot).

LAX trips are similar to the trips as explained in PDX. For March, they average 15.3 days off (19-13 days off) with an average block of 5:34/day (credit/day would be slightly higher). 53 lines were built out of LAX and 13 lines were built out of SNA. LAX always has high time turns to Mexico. Lately LAX has had a 4 day with an embedded GDL all-nighter in the middle. The trip is commutable on both ends, so it probably goes more senior than it should. There is a 2 day DCA that flies out in the afternoon, has a short layover and returns by noon the next day. Sometimes a line will be pure DCAs and those go senior. SNA and LAX have 4 days that go to HNL and OGG. There are also a variety of 2 and 3 day trips that fly up and down the coast with numerous YVR layovers. LAX pilots don't normally go north of YVR except during the summer when the seasonal nonstop to ANC appears.
Brad Tilden is replacing Bill Ayer as CEO of AAG. Is this good, bad or neutral? It seems to me, he's the reason we got our contract hammered out sooner rather than later.

I've also heard Brad is pro-growth.

Whatever shakeup in management happens to follow, interviewees should take note. The interview board loves to ask who our management team is.
Quote: Brad Tilden is replacing Bill Ayer as CEO of AAG. Is this good, bad or neutral? It seems to me, he's the reason we got our contract hammered out sooner rather than later.

I've also heard Brad is pro-growth.

Whatever shakeup in management happens to follow, interviewees should take note. The interview board loves to ask who our management team is.
Thanks for this info, really good to know. Will make sure to have that one down. Any thoughts on why Bill is leaving or is that a board decision?
I think Bill is taking the opportunity to move on to a different challenge. He has been active with PG&E for some time and may go there. Additionally, the stock split and the $50M stock buyback will provide a nice golden parachute for him.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves it. Say what you will about AS management, but we never went CH. 11 and continue to earn strong profits when other, larger airlines are hemmoraging money.
What are your bases from most senior to junior? I didn't know SNA had lines, is that included with LAX or a separate domicile?
I don't work there but I think it's SEA, PDX, LAX and ANC with the last two pretty equal. There are SNA lines in the LAX bid pack. It's a co-domicile. Like 50+ for LAX and 15ish for SNA.
Quote: I don't work there but I think it's SEA, PDX, LAX and ANC with the last two pretty equal. There are SNA lines in the LAX bid pack. It's a co-domicile. Like 50+ for LAX and 15ish for SNA.

That's all correct.
Any thoughts on a 787 purchase in Alaska's future?
Quote: I think Bill is taking the opportunity to move on to a different challenge. He has been active with PG&E for some time and may go there. Additionally, the stock split and the $50M stock buyback will provide a nice golden parachute for him.

Don't get me wrong, he deserves it. Say what you will about AS management, but we never went CH. 11 and continue to earn strong profits when other, larger airlines are hemmoraging money.
Except the BIG D.
Quote: Any thoughts on a 787 purchase in Alaska's future?
Probably not anytime soon. There were some rumors floating around last year but I think they are pretty happy with the efficiencies of a single fleet type and probably don't want to **** off any of their code share partners. Furthermore, with our current weak scope language they could probably start a non-union alter-ego airline under the AAG banner flown by pilots on separate seniority list for less $$ and less training $$. JMHO. I'd be happy to eat my words.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 9
Go to