What is this?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to

Best guess so far is weather research-modified 707. Seen at BED a couple days ago running up on 23.
It almost looks exactly like the E-3 Sentry, but without the huge rotating radar dome on top.
Any chance its a KC135?
Looks like it fits in the "I can tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" file.

Rivet Joint? Are any of those still flying?Boeing RC-135 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
theres no boom
Quote:
Best guess so far is weather research-modified 707. Seen at BED a couple days ago running up on 23.
Interesting photo. That it is at Hanscomb Field gives some clues to its purpose, but I can't seem to pin it down.

707 is a good guess, but I think it's a modified C-135 (the original B-717). The fuselage on the 707 is a little longer, and although it's difficult to tell, I think this one is of the C-135 variety.

Quote:
Any chance its a KC135?

Not likely. The only KC-135s with the TF-33 engines were KC-135Es, which belonged to Air National Guard units. C-135s and B-707s have the P&W TF-33s shown in this photo.

Quote:
Looks like it fits in the "I can tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" file.

Rivet Joint? Are any of those still flying?Boeing RC-135 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, it goes like this. If you ask again, I'd have to kill you. If I tell you, I'd have to kill myself.

It's definitely not a Rivet Joint. And, yes, there are a lot of 'em still flying, all over the world, all the time.

Quote:
What is this?
Why, it's an 'expando' of course, just like on a motorhome!
It's an old 707 owned by Lincoln Labs.
It sort of looks like Cobra Ball but the antenna's and radome are quite right.
It's not a C-135 variety, you can tell by the nose gear that it's a 707. It could be a 720 (the chopped down version of the 07). Don't know what this jets used for.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to