Problem with prescription sunglasses

Subscribe
hey all,

I am new to eye glasses and bought a pair of ray ban wrap around sunglasses to put the progressive lenses into.

Everything is fine until I go flying.

Looking through the glasses in certain angles in the cockpit, the EFIS screens all dissapear. I flew yesterday for the first time and was amazed to find when I look at the screens and the digital radio displays they can all just become blank. Its only on a very narrow part of the lense but its very annoying.

Has anybody seen this before.

Are there certain glasses that one should avoid when flying?
I believe that polarized lenses can cause that.
An expensive lesson, but swap the polarized lens for non-polarized and you get rid of seeing the interference pattens on the windshield, and you'll be able to see the glass cockpit from all angles.
Quote: hey all,

I am new to eye glasses and bought a pair of ray ban wrap around sunglasses to put the progressive lenses into.

Everything is fine until I go flying.

Looking through the glasses in certain angles in the cockpit, the EFIS screens all dissapear. I flew yesterday for the first time and was amazed to find when I look at the screens and the digital radio displays they can all just become blank. Its only on a very narrow part of the lense but its very annoying.

Has anybody seen this before.

Are there certain glasses that one should avoid when flying?
I tried the progressives and after the first flight I had to replace the lens with executive bifocals. I found myself having to move my head too much to focus
on the gauges. Felt like I had tunnel vision.

The bifocals work great!
Thanks for the info.

The glasses I have are not polarized - at least I didnt ask for them to be.

FL510,

Thanks for the feedback.

Are executive bifocals available in oakley or ray ban etc?
Quote: The glasses I have are not polarized - at least I didnt ask for them to be.
Okay, but what you are describing is exactly what happens with polarized lenses. You may not have asked for them, but I bet they gave them to you anyway.
Quote: Okay, but what you are describing is exactly what happens with polarized lenses. You may not have asked for them, but I bet they gave them to you anyway.
Agreed. I've had progressives for years and have had no problems. Although FL510's mileage obviously differed, progressives won't cause an effect like you described. Polarized lenses will.

It might not be an expensive lesson at all, if in fact you DIDN'T ask for polarized lenses and you still got them. Of course, I'm not sure what you read / said / signed / were told ... etc. at the place where you got the lenses made.

Let us know what happens.
Hey all,

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Spot on. They are polarized. I did not ask for polarized and the paperwork did not make mention of it either.

So I will keep them for non flying daily routine and I have ordered another pair of non polarized for work.

Thanks again