Old Stapleton Tower

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
The old Stapleton airport tower in Denver, decommissioned in 1995, is now surrounded by housing developments and shopping. Probably could be rehabbed into some sort of aviation-themed steak house with a bar at the top maybe if they expanded it a little on one side. I hope the elevator still works!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why did they never tear it down when they closed the airport?
The tower is considered the historic piece of Stapleton if you will.

There are many ideas about what to do with it - notably a civic center type area which would include refurbishing the control tower into an observation deck and rehabbing the elevator.

The last article I read on the tower, about six months, made no mention of tearing it down being a reality. They tore down the Stapleton parking garage a few years ago. Only other standing building of note on the Stapleton property is the United Flight Training Center.

I was out there visiting a few weeks ago and took a drive through. Construction is now moving onto the very north of the old airport up against Smith Road, the site of that old Frontier hangar and headquarters complex.
Looks surreal standing out there like that .

Ally
Quote: The tower is considered the historic piece of Stapleton if you will. There are many ideas about what to do with it - notably a civic center type area which would include refurbishing the control tower into an observation deck and rehabbing the elevator. The last article I read on the tower, about six months, made no mention of tearing it down being a reality. ...
The tower cab points eastward which is pretty boring visually, a bunch of commercial districts and cattle farms. Maybe with enough money the cab could be windowed on the west side, where it could show mountain views and the downtown skyline. The 3 acre plot could be a city park, the area needs another one. It would be sad if they level it, so much money to build and such a nice piece of history.
Quote:
The tower cab points eastward ... Maybe with enough money the cab could be windowed on the west side, ...

Huh?

The tower cab has windows on all sides, providing a 360° panoramic view.

That's the whole purpose of a tower cab -- to provide a view of everything.

What am I missing?

Quote: Huh?

The tower cab has windows on all sides, providing a 360° panoramic view.

That's the whole purpose of a tower cab -- to provide a view of everything.

What am I missing?
Not the cab, obviously, but the offices in the tower structure. The admin building, however, has some windows in the "right" direction.
The cab has a ladder and some other junk on the mountain side, but who knows, maybe the existing mountain panorama is resplendent.
Quote:
The tower cab points eastward ...

Quote:
Not the cab, obviously, ...

OK, color me confused.

1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to