Towing Swastikas

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I know hours are hours but would you have towed this banner?

Plane's swastika banner spurs criticism around New York City
Quote: I know hours are hours but would you have towed this banner?

The swastika is a lot older than the Nazi's use of it. It is kind of a shame that a group can "ruin" a symbol and essentially make it into its opposite.

That being said, no, probably not, as there are other methods of "educating" people.
A quote from the Washington Post, in a Feb. 25 editorial regarding Arizona's proposed religious exemptions bill:

"...But it strikes us as reasonable to expect that, when you open a store, you will serve any law-abiding, paying customer who walks in the door. Providing service doesn’t mean you approve; it means you’re open for business in a complicated, pluralistic society...."

I personally do not agree with this position; I believe a business should be able to refuse service to anyone.
Quote: I personally do not agree with this position; I believe a business should be able to refuse service to anyone.
They can, they just choose not to. Might bite them in the butt in this case.

But philosophically I have no issues with folks trying restore the legit and original meaning of the symbol. Nothing would be more damning to the nazis than if they lost the symbol they appropriated.

Might not have been a great business move though.

The New York area is probably the worst place, aside from Israel, to try and float this business model.
So this wouldn't work either I guess.

If you object to it morally, no. It might cost you your job to refuse, though.

No.............
This symbol is still very popular in Asia. Singapore has at least one building with a huge swastika monument on it, and many locals have tattoos of it.

I wouldn't have a problem towing it because it's meant to educate people on the positive history of the symbol.
Quote: They can, they just choose not to. Might bite them in the butt in this case.

But philosophically I have no issues with folks trying restore the legit and original meaning of the symbol. Nothing would be more damning to the nazis than if they lost the symbol they appropriated.

Might not have been a great business move though.
So what you are saying is a bakery has the right to not sell a gay wedding cake? You have not been following recent developments in the law.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to