Another SIC question..

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Sorry to beat a dead horse guys, but there is a company Im looking at going to work for that is utilizing Phenom aircraft, and they want two pilots on board. I have researched the threads on here, and still am unsure about it all.
The company is a fractional type outfit, and all flights are done under part 91 to the best of my knowledge. The CA's all hold single pilot type certs for the 100's and 300's. My question arises from one of the posts I saw under the sticky in this section regarding logging SIC time. In that sticky, he references a "FAA Flight Standardization Board report" for the Phenom aircraft. He stated that one who held a single pilot type cert, could elect to use a SIC if he so wanted..I have copied and pasted the portion I believe he is talking about, and wanted to get some better clarification on it, so here is it:

"4.1.1 EMB-505

The EMB-505 type rating is approved for pilots who satisfactorily complete the type rating practical test in the EMB‑505 as a single pilot. A pilot with the EMB-505 type rating may operate the aircraft as a single pilot, or operate as a pilot in command (PIC) with a second in command (SIC) on the aircraft.

A pilot with the EMB-505 type rating must have a SIC in the aircraft if it lacks an operative autopilot system, headset mounted microphone, or flight director. AFM Limitations require a SIC under these conditions. If this circumstance arises, the PIC must comply with the PIC proficiency check requirements specified by § 61.58, and use a SIC that meets the qualification and training requirements of § 61.55."

Only reason I am concerned is, if I go to work there, sure I will get great experience and get paid, but how would I ever build any more flight time towards upgrading, and/or better jobs down the road if I can't log any time...Thanks again for the info!
It's not another question, it's the same question.

If the TCDS requires a SIC or if the regs the aircraft is operated under require a SIC you can log the time. The TCDS lists the MEL items that require a SIC in lieu of the inop system. If the regs, part 135 or 91.531, require a SIC you can log the time. However, if it's just the "company" or more likely the insurance company that requires a SIC you're out of luck.
So the above mentioned is useless info then it sounds like. I understood the whole inop equip deal needing a SIC, as well as if 135 req one, just was wondering how and if it played into the statements I had quoted above. Sorry to trick you with the thread title ;)
EMB-505"S" = single pilot type

EMB-505 with
"Second-In-Command Required"
(limitation) is the other possibility depending on practical test circumstances.
I think your luck - if there is any in this situation - will lie in the regulations under which the company operates.
Do many fractionals operate under P91 rules (not P91K) - meaning the operators that operate under P91K still have regs/OPSPECs requiring the use of SIC correct?
From what I can gather, they operate under pt91, not 91k
Quote: From what I can gather, they operate under pt91, not 91k
And you are sure they are a FRACTIONAL?
Quote:
The company is a fractional type outfit, and all flights are done under part 91 to the best of my knowledge.
If an aircraft requires two pilots, with the exception that a pic may have a single pilot qualification, that is an exception not the norm. A qualified sic on an aircraft requiring two pilots can log sic time, regardless of the pic's single pilot qualification.
Quote: And you are sure they are a FRACTIONAL?
Im really not too sure what they are lol! Im new to the whole fractional /charter whatever game ;)

Here is the company in question Innovative Private Air Travel Programs | Nicholas Air
The only time an SIC is currently required for Nicholas Air is the autopilot is inop or another inop item requires an SIC in the MEL. Currently, if the aircraft is flown Part 135, the only pilot listed on the manifest is the PIC and the other pilot is a flight observer.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to