Chances of avoiding commute in mid-atlantic?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I'm at 400 hours with everything but CFI, MEI, and ATP currently with a non-aviation government job. Considering a getting my CFI and initiating to a career change in to part 121 depending on how fast I can build 1,500.

I'm fortunate to live in an area close to many big airports. 1 hour to PHL. 2 to JFK/LGA, 1.5 to EWR. While I know nothing in this industry is guaranteed, would it be sane to think that I would have a really good chance at landing a FO position in base (PHL, EWR, or NY) with any airline?
Quote: I'm at 400 hours with everything but CFI, MEI, and ATP currently with a non-aviation government job. Considering a getting my CFI and initiating to a career change in to part 121 depending on how fast I can build 1,500.

I'm fortunate to live in an area close to many big airports. 1 hour to PHL. 2 to JFK/LGA, 1.5 to EWR. While I know nothing in this industry is guaranteed, would it be sane to think that I would have a really good chance at landing a FO position in base (PHL, EWR, or NY) with any airline?
Many airlines have bases in those areas. NY would be easy as it's usually a junior base. PHL would even be possible.
Definitely. Go to airlinepilotcentral.com and look for all of the regional airlines with those bases.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Quote: Definitely. Go to airlinepilotcentral.com and look for all of the regional airlines with those bases.
Yeah, I noticed a lot. Though I've also seen some airlines are less of a guarantee that you'll stay put. For example someone else here mentioned AirWisconsin could base out of PHL at first, but then stuff changes and you get moved vs. Piedmont being pretty engraved with american at PHL or CommutAir with united at EWR

Quote: Many airlines have bases in those areas. NY would be easy as it's usually a junior base. PHL would even be possible.
PHL would be ideal, though from the horror stories I've heard it sounds like even driving 2 hours to NYC, maybe 3 at rush hour would be light years ahead of commuting. But I'm not as knowledgeable, hence why I asked. It's a somewhat decent family life I am after. I'm lucky to have a long time girlfriend who has said she'd be prepared (helps that we used to do the long distance thing really well during college).
PHL is Piedmont's base for the 145 that they are converting to. PDT will open another base but will definitely keep PHL for the foreseeable future. Barring any major unforeseen economic changes etc. the merry go round should be spinning pretty good for quite a few years. I'd start busting a move on it. Get over 500 hrs and some more options open up for you via pipeline patrol, forestry, etc that can crank out 800-1000 hrs in a year.

Don't worry about the ATP (or the other ratings for that matter), the regional will cover the ATP stuff. just get flying and build hours.

Where out from Philly do you live? Might help in suggesting possible jobs for you to look at.
At Republic, LGA and EWR are very junior. PHL is not as junior as LGA and EWR, but I was able to hold PHL as a new hire in May 2016. Driving (even 2-3 hours) is always better than having to commute.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
There is a good updated web site that is from one of the guys on here. Try this web site for airline bases.

http://www.pilotdomiciles.com

It is from this thread:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/r...icile-map.html
Every base in the New York area is junior
/thread
I did a summer of banner towing and a winter of pictometry survey work and logged about 1200 hours in less than a year. That was not easy but it can be done.
Quote: PHL is Piedmont's base for the 145 that they are converting to. PDT will open another base but will definitely keep PHL for the foreseeable future. Barring any major unforeseen economic changes etc. the merry go round should be spinning pretty good for quite a few years. I'd start busting a move on it. Get over 500 hrs and some more options open up for you via pipeline patrol, forestry, etc that can crank out 800-1000 hrs in a year.

Don't worry about the ATP (or the other ratings for that matter), the regional will cover the ATP stuff. just get flying and build hours.

Where out from Philly do you live? Might help in suggesting possible jobs for you to look at.
I'm toward the mid-Jersey coast. Do you know where I could look for jobs/opportunities to build hours either in person or online? Everyone I know in person just did the CFI grind.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to