Which US Major Could Order This?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 4 of 5
Go to
Quote: I thought RR was working on the engines?
I believe the term you are looking for is "the check is in the mail"

RR can't get their current line of engines working.
They would most likely used a modified version of the BR715, the same engine on the 717. Supercruise is mostly about inlet aerodynamics. However, there is no way possible this aircraft will be flying in the 2020's. Also, the economics will be atrocious, $10K a seat.
Quote: I believe the term you are looking for is "the check is in the mail"

RR can't get their current line of engines working.
That is true.
The Air Force just tossed them 60 million, for what it’s worth.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...cial-airliner/
Quote: The Air Force just tossed them 60 million, for what it’s worth.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...cial-airliner/
that’s like pentagon throwing a buck into the lotto pool at work
Quote: that’s like pentagon throwing a buck into the lotto pool at work
Not if you have a good team that is small. Having been part of test and evaluation at white sands missile range it’s impressive to see what small engineering teams came up with. Traditionally what they would do is all of the leg work on a small budget. Come up with a prototype and then sell it off to the big guys who can actually handle production. Well placed money is worth way more than a 1:1 ratio in the right hands.
Quote: Not if you have a good team that is small. Having been part of test and evaluation at white sands missile range it’s impressive to see what small engineering teams came up with. Traditionally what they would do is all of the leg work on a small budget. Come up with a prototype and then sell it off to the big guys who can actually handle production. Well placed money is worth way more than a 1:1 ratio in the right hands.
How many airplanes , aside from training, does the AF fly that cost less than that per airplane?
Quote: Not if you have a good team that is small. Having been part of test and evaluation at white sands missile range it’s impressive to see what small engineering teams came up with. Traditionally what they would do is all of the leg work on a small budget. Come up with a prototype and then sell it off to the big guys who can actually handle production. Well placed money is worth way more than a 1:1 ratio in the right hands.
That’s actually my prediction with this airplane; I think Boom can get a prototype in the air, I don’t think they can mass produce it. I’m guessing it gets 80-90% done and then Boeing or Airbus swoops in to get it across the finish line.
Quote: That’s actually my prediction with this airplane; I think Boom can get a prototype in the air, I don’t think they can mass produce it.
Not if they're smart. Look at how Tesla flailed trying to do mass production on a passenger car. Boom cannot possibly afford those kinds of growing pains with a transport category jet.

Presumably they're baking the production and mx into the design, with appropriate outside expertise.
United ordered 15 of the Mach 1.7 Overture with 35 more agreed to if Boom delivers…
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 4 of 5
Go to